Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And 3 strikes theyre out, right? Lemon law? Or do recalls count?
Recalls don't count.
It's only for things that cause you to have to take it back xxx times for the SAME thing, or for it being in the shop xxx days for the same thing. Varies with state. You can look it up using your state's name and the words lemon law.
Sponsored

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Recalls don't count.
It's only for things that cause you to have to take it back xxx times for the SAME thing, or for it being in the shop xxx days for the same thing. Varies with state. You can look it up using your state's name and the words lemon law.
Yay🤣 maybe theyll eventually get it resolved and maybe we have the last manuals that will ever be made for the jeep and gladiators. Soon to be collectors?

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
no one know how to drive a manual now days you cant drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal . The clutch too soft it takes 50lbs to push the clutch down on a massey 245 tractor what does it take on the JT 5 lbs ? its like a hair trigger on a gun , the clutch slips and that is where all the heat is coming from . Dont drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal .

Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So ive started looking for another car to buy while this gets resolved. Something good on gas and another manual. Any suggestions? Anyone here have a new kia soul? Lol. I also have a 05 350z in a 6spd with only 15k miles but thats a convertible and bad on gas. I never drive it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
only one case with the manual trans and here it is from the jl forums but i think jeep has know of the issue for a while . looks like the manual trans blew at the FCA headquarters in 2018
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fire-result-of-transmission-failure.46100/
https://www.jk-forum.com/articles/exclusive-jeep-jl-wrangler-catches-fire-at-fca-headquarters/
• On December 17, 2019, FCA US VSRC conducted a scene examination of a vehicle fire that appeared to be related to the transmission.
• On January 22, 2020, FCA US VSRC reviewed a warranty returned transmission and clutch with catastrophic damage.
• On February 5, 2020, FCA US VSRC Materials Engineering Lab completed an analysis of the transmission components and determined the clutch pressure plate reached 1100 degrees Celsius demonstrating the pressure plate is a competent ignition source. The supplier duplicated the failed pressure plate demonstrating the pressure plate was not a fire effect.
• In early February 2020, FCA US VSRC conducted packaging studies, and reviewed supplier records to understand the history of the transmission and clutch failures.
• On February 10, 2020, the clutch supplier conducted testing to reproduce pressure plate failure due to exposure to high heat.
• As of February 20, 2020, FCA US is aware of 13 CAIRS and 13 field reports related to this issue. • As of February 20, 2020, FCA US is aware of 35 warranty claims related to this issue.
• As of February 20, 2020, FCA US is aware of one minor injury related to this issue.
• On February 25, 2020, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.

Jeep Gladiator Recall: Manual Transmission / Clutch Recall for 2020-2021 Jeep Gladiator (Notice: 21V-028) clutch-report

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
• On February 5, 2020, FCA US VSRC Materials Engineering Lab completed an analysis of the transmission components and determined the clutch pressure plate reached 1100 degrees Celsius demonstrating the pressure plate is a competent ignition source. The supplier duplicated the failed pressure plate demonstrating the pressure plate was not a fire effect.
That's over 2000 F!!! Most carbon steels melt between 2500 to 2800. How the hell did the clutch reach that temp?! What the hell was that driver doing?! I think I might actually be impressed. 😳

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's over 2000 F!!! Most carbon steels melt between 2500 to 2800. How the hell did the clutch reach that temp?! What the hell was that driver doing?! I think I might actually be impressed. 😳
I guess some of the ceramic tiles peeled off during re-entry?
At what temperature would the steel turn blue?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Correct, and if they passed the stall test, the clutch disk and pressure plate themselves were not replaced at all. Only if they failed the stall test..........
I don't think they even did the stall test unless there was air in the system. Everybody got the protective sleeve for the hydraulic hose, if there was no air in the system you were done. If there was air in the system, they bled it and tested the clutch. If the hose leaked they replaced it and I think tested the clutch. I had a leaky hose, air in the system and the clutch failed the test.

Sponsored

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
I guess some of the ceramic tiles peeled off during re-entry?
At what temperature would the steel turn blue?
If I remember right, you're just under 600 at blue depending on the steel. But that would be for relatively high carbon steel for forging, for stronger components like springs it needs less carbon and I have no idea. My 15 years in foundry work dealt very little with steel/iron, we cast bronze. But what I do know is in order to get THAT hot, you need help from a furnace. If that clutch plate reached 2000F through friction alone, I have GOT to see that miracle. :clap:

Now, if that number is right, I have a couple questions. First, even inside the housing, how did the driver not know that his right leg was less than a foot away from that inferno? Second, if that housing is aluminum, it would have melted at 1200F or at least transferred that heat VERY efficiently everywhere else nearby; so, what else went thermonuclear and was THAT the actual source of the failure? And of course, what is normal temp for this system?

To be honest, these findings are somewhat encouraging. If it takes 2000F to grenade this clutch pack, then I'd say that's one hell of a stout clutch pack. Too many variables raising even more questions on an already flawed design/system; but, if the fix is to limp when the temp approaches lava, I suppose I'll just have to curb any spontaneous desire to drift my Gladiator while towing a 40 foot Airstream.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Its a thin disk of steel. A 2000degree steel tortilla. Because it has friction material on both sides. And no real contact points to anything else, but through the flanges at the end. So both sides produce friction, and as they are fiber, really won’t help absorb heat away from the system. So that disc is in a hell of a position to keep cool. And temps rise quickly.

Add some heat cycling and boom. It shatters.

Its a thin intermediate pressure plate. See in this pic.

For those interested in what the JL/JT clutch looks like, here are pictures from the recall on my JL.
Jeep Gladiator Recall: Manual Transmission / Clutch Recall for 2020-2021 Jeep Gladiator (Notice: 21V-028) clutch-report

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
So ive started looking for another car to buy while this gets resolved. Something good on gas and another manual. Any suggestions? Anyone here have a new kia soul? Lol. I also have a 05 350z in a 6spd with only 15k miles but thats a convertible and bad on gas. I never drive it.
I'm looking at the Ford Bronco with the 7 speed manual. My 6-speed Sport S hasn't even arrived at the dealer & it has an open recall.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking at the Ford Bronco with the 7 speed manual. My 6-speed Sport S hasn't even arrived at the dealer & it has an open recall.
Not spending that kind of change for a 3rd car. Especially another potential recall magnet lol. Im looking for a beater, something i can park in the closest space to the entrance at walmart.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would they paint something that just peels? Is this normal? Its the rear. Had my gladiator for 3 months.
20210206_201651.jpg
20210206_201651.jpg
Sponsored