Sponsored

Repairs can get EXPENSIVE

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
In February I was hit from the side by a 2000s Toyota camery. The driver hit ice in a parking lot and couldnt stop. Oh they didnt have insurance. I didnt notice any damage, but it was dark and during a snowstorm. Initial inspection by my insurance company found a small dent.
Jeep Gladiator Repairs can get EXPENSIVE D288D4D5-E75A-4BC3-A938-BC8EA429D9F6

No biggie. My only concern was the seal getting damaged and losing water fording ability. Initial cost: $700

I took it to a body shop that is known by the insurance companies to be...thorough. They have now estimated it is $4k in work!

Now, that's mostly labor with things like color matching adjacent panels, squaring and straightening the body to make sure it didnt get out of alignment (their words, not mine).

Fun fact: the door seal is $700.

Jeep Gladiator Repairs can get EXPENSIVE 49F491A7-08F2-4161-BA34-30209EB1A78D

Jeep Gladiator Repairs can get EXPENSIVE 2948E64F-3EA6-4767-A8C9-8DC87118A7EF

Jeep Gladiator Repairs can get EXPENSIVE 5A1F7717-70E2-4F06-93E5-915E704C9EDF

Jeep Gladiator Repairs can get EXPENSIVE 2057AC8C-FD62-4918-BFBF-DDB3C97E6EC2

Jeep Gladiator Repairs can get EXPENSIVE 328C32F3-DA2B-4E1F-A276-AD8522867EBE

2 weeks worth of labor.

So folks, even though damage might look minor, it can cost a pretty penny to fix on these new vehicles.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Holy Crap! I hope you're not coming out of pocket for all of that. It sounds like insurance fraud by the body shop to me. Buy some armor and cover up that dent, and prevent the next one!

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
The damage is hard to see from your picture. I use to appraise vehicle damage as an independent and in body shops. If your insurance company sent you to them, so be it.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is hard to tell, but that bit is steel and is bent inward. The seal keeping the water out of the cabin has been moved due to the impact and needs replacing.

Jeep Gladiator Repairs can get EXPENSIVE 42D38C55-CB23-45E2-BF61-3EA1691BDE4F

Yes, hard to see. Here is the undamaged driver side

Jeep Gladiator Repairs can get EXPENSIVE 08F494AE-D898-4782-9122-4DB62EC0B256

Jeep Gladiator Repairs can get EXPENSIVE 1647F6B9-92BF-4AF2-82ED-BB57A91BF9EA

I dont know how much of the seal being "damaged" is true. I forded some deep water that reached above the damaged area after the crash, didnt see any water leaking in nor did the body shop see signs of water inside where it shouldnt be.

Dont know how much of the "color matching" is necessary, but it sounds to be the majority of the bill.

My insurance is paying for it (uninsured motorist claim) and they told me I could go wherever I wanted. Body shop sent them this estimate, insurance signed off yesterday. My policy renewed after the crash and after the initial $700 bill assessment, but I don't expect my rate to go up as this was not my fault and the whole purpose of uninsured coverage is for this very reason.

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I don't know anything about appraisal, but it seems like body damage to the rocker panel is always expensive to fix. Its one of the reasons that we install rock sliders. If body damage is confined to a single panel - like the front fender - its not too expensive, but damage to the rocker panel is always $$$ Good luck with the repairs!

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know anything about appraisal, but it seems like body damage to the rocker panel is always expensive to fix. Its one of the reasons that we install rock sliders. If body damage is confined to a single panel - like the front fender - its not too expensive, but damage to the rocker panel is always $$$ Good luck with the repairs!
I have the Rubicon rock sliders installed. Unfortunately I was a couple inches short of the vehicle hitting the sliders, and they hit the panel. Or maybe he DID hit the rock rail and it pushed in that part of the panel anyway. There was paint from his front bumper on the panel even after washing the part to look closer for damage

Thank you for your well-wishes.

Anyone care to explain to me what all the "color matching" is? Seems they are taking down and re-coloring the entire side of the vehicle to match the "new" part they are installing. Why not just color match the one part to the rest of the vehicle? And if they do the entire passenger side, will that not just make the driver side look off?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear this. Keep us posted. That invoice is something else.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
No repair to any modern vehicle will be cheap

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have the Rubicon rock sliders installed. Unfortunately I was a couple inches short of the vehicle hitting the sliders, and they hit the panel. Or maybe he DID hit the rock rail and it pushed in that part of the panel anyway. There was paint from his front bumper on the panel even after washing the part to look closer for damage

Thank you for your well-wishes.

Anyone care to explain to me what all the "color matching" is? Seems they are taking down and re-coloring the entire side of the vehicle to match the "new" part they are installing. Why not just color match the one part to the rest of the vehicle? And if they do the entire passenger side, will that not just make the driver side look off?
Why not just call the body shop and ask?

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
This is why insurance premiums are so high. Collision centers f**k the insurance companies who turn around and f**k us to pay for it and keep their profits up.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is why insurance premiums are so high. Collision centers f**k the insurance companies who turn around and f**k us to pay for it and keep their profits up.
that is one aspect to the problem yes. I am sure that the insurance company has a lot of experience in knowing what is needed and now for certain impacts and how to sift through bs. Mine actually authorized $3900, the bill is expected to be $4200, the $300 discrepancy is what Jeep charges to come down and re-set the computer for any codes that get thrown from removing panels. That bill is a separate authorization my adjuster wants an invoice for

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
It is hard to tell, but that bit is steel and is bent inward. The seal keeping the water out of the cabin has been moved due to the impact and needs replacing.

Jeep Gladiator Repairs can get EXPENSIVE 1647F6B9-92BF-4AF2-82ED-BB57A91BF9EA
I see those X-Treme .45's peeking out from underneath the seat. :like:
Great projectile at a good price!

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Sounds like an excellent reason to have really strong sliders... sorry the OP is going through this. That sucks.
Sponsored