Sponsored

Reset ECM after installing cold air intake?

SCRubicon23

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU 2019 JLUR 2020 Gladiator
I’m installing a CAI I my gladiator and am wondering if I need to reset the ECM to get the full effects of it. Have less than 100 miles on it so not sure if the computer is still learning g or not. Appreciate the help.
Sponsored

1herm4

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Typical installation advices to unplug the negative terminal from the battery as a first step.....that should be all you need. ECU will make any corrections. Which system are you installing?

OP
OP
SCRubicon23

SCRubicon23

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typical installation advices to unplug the negative terminal from the battery as a first step.....that should be all you need. ECU will make any corrections. Which system are you installing?
Went with K&N 63 Series. Plan is to install tomorrow. I have the K&N Blackhawk on my JLUR and it works pretty well (haven’t reset the comp on it). 63 is supposed to add a little more throttle response so we’ll see.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much for looks. The stock one is best for keeping your engine clean. Best CAI on a jeep is snorkle

1herm4

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Went with K&N 63 Series. Plan is to install tomorrow. I have the K&N Blackhawk on my JLUR and it works pretty well (haven’t reset the comp on it). 63 is supposed to add a little more throttle response so we’ll see.
I have the same on the JT, love the sound! Actually KN used my JT to confirm fitment with the Max Tow Package since the radiator fan is slightly bigger and the piping crosses over the radiator. Most people will say that an intake will have minimal gains and not worth the cost but in the long the savings from not having to buy OEM filters and small mileage gains will pay for itself.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same on the JT, love the sound! Actually KN used my JT to confirm fitment with the Max Tow Package since the radiator fan is slightly bigger and the piping crosses over the radiator. Most people will say that an intake will have minimal gains and not worth the cost but in the long the savings from not having to buy OEM filters and small mileage gains will pay for itself.
It's a very minimal if any at all mileage gain and I could just buy this if I didn't want to spend money on filters

https://www.extremeterrain.com/kn-jeep-gladiator-replacement-air-filter-33-5076.html

OP
OP
SCRubicon23

SCRubicon23

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

1herm4

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Exhaust and intakes are the most common first mods people will do, not for everyone. If you're looking to get back some of that lost horsepower then why not.

Some will will buy a lift and MT tires and never leave the mall parking lot.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed that the mpg and horsepower gains are minimal but the throttle response and sound is a noticeable difference.
I'll agree the sound is different but I've never noticed a throttle response difference in a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder, maybe some on my
Exhaust and intakes are the most common first mods people will do, not for everyone. If you're looking to get back some of that lost horsepower then why not.

Some will will buy a lift and MT tires and never leave the mall parking lot.

Your not going to get back lost HP from a CAI, plenty of factual videos on it on youtube

1herm4

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Guess we better all add snorkels if we expect to see any gains! According to YouTube...

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Guess we better all add snorkels if we expect to see any gains! According to YouTube...
Didn't say you would see any gains from a snorkle, I just meant it will keep the engine cooler.

1herm4

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Colder intake temperatures will help combustion chamber but will not do anything to keep engine temperature down, quite the opposite.