Sponsored

Rock sliders and their double duty. (Amusing story from today)

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
This tale gives me a special feeling...As Dennis Leary once said:
‘….that special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts
Maybe below the cockles
Maybe in the sub cockle area
Maybe in the liver, maybe in the kidneys
Maybe even in the colon, we don't know”

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Glad the sliders are on! Next purchase — dash cam.

this reminds of a time I’m parked at Firehouse subs with coworkers. Coming back to my JKU on 37s. We WATCH a lady try to park…hit my tire…backed up and ripped her SUVs bumper half off. She too was on the phone. So she parks about 10 spots down and tries to reattach. I told her, “you need help? You should pay attention “ and she replied, “no habla “ (oh but she could habla!) and left.

soooo. Not knowing if I had a bent axle flange or not, I called the police on her for hit and run. I loathe South Florida.

OP
OP
Caspien

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
This tale gives me a special feeling...As Dennis Leary once said:
‘….that special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts
Maybe below the cockles
Maybe in the sub cockle area
Maybe in the liver, maybe in the kidneys
Maybe even in the colon, we don't know”
One of my favorite 'songs', lol. :)

~ Casp

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Too funny!

And I’ll admit it, I was hoping to see pics of her damage.:giggle:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Caspien

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect

this reminds of a time I’m parked at Firehouse subs with coworkers. Coming back to my JKU on 37s. We WATCH a lady try to park…hit my tire…backed up and ripped her SUVs bumper half off. She too was on the phone. So she parks about 10 spots down and tries to reattach. I told her, “you need help? You should pay attention “ and she replied, “no habla “ (oh but she could habla!) and left.

soooo. Not knowing if I had a bent axle flange or not, I called the police on her for hit and run. I loathe South Florida.
Yeah.. glad I took them into the dealership.. they showed me the amount of locktite on the front passenger bolt.. holy cow.. it was like the machine discharged enough for 50+ bolts on that thing. Even the tech said they see that more often that they should, here in the last couple of years. Needless to say, they had to heat it up to the point of glowing, and then said they had to replace the rubber bushing (?? I think that's what he said) afterwards.

You should have seen my wife and daughter tentatively testing out to make sure the sliders would support them as they climbed into the truck... lol.. even when I pointed out, they're designed to hold the entire weight of the truck, they still were hesitant.

Anyway, already got a dash cam... just don't use it everywhere I go.. (I know.. I know)

Got an older Roav. It works, but it definitely isn't the most elegant solution.... I honestly think my next purchase is going to be some extra lights, for all of the asshats that can't be bothered to aim their headlights properly, or just slap LEDs into regular lamp assemblies.

It still amazes me, really, how, even as far up as I sit in the JTR, I STILL see idiots in cars that I could literally drive over, with their lights hitting my eyes. (.. and we're not even talking brights)

Been considering the ones that install, similar to the newer police light bars.. inside the glass, near the roof line.

Dunno, though, yet... still trying to decide what else I want to do next... that's the biggest hurdle ;)

~ Casp

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator

We pulled into our old church parking lot one morning years ago in my old Wrangler. I had just parked, and we were about to get out, and the Jeep rocked slightly. My wife said she thought someone hit us. A little old lady was trying to pull into the spot next to us and hit my tire with her bumper. She backed out and parked a few spaces away. I saw her look at her bumper, then go into the church. I looked at my wheel/tire, no damage. Some friends walked over and said they saw her hit my Jeep in case I needed witnesses. I told them I was all good. We walked over and looked at her bumper, and it was jacked up.

Another time we were walking out to my Wrangler to leave our new church. I always pull through a spot to face outward if I can. An SUV had parked behind me. Their hood was actually pushing into my spare tire, and they had parked it like that and left. I checked to make sure my tailgate was dented in, and luckily no damage. I thought about waiting around for the driver, then I got to thinking they could easily try to say I had backed into them, so we just decided to blow it off and leave. However, I MIGHT have rocked backward slightly when I pulled out. Can't remember for certain............;)

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
OP, this. Is. AWESOME!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole

I had 3 hit and runs in as many years down there. Last one was in my TJ…. a blue hatchback merger from the left-left hand turn lane from Holmberg onto 441… they hit the front drivers tire and bumper of my Jeep with the passenger quarter panel, caving in the panel. Only thing damaged on Jeep was the ’milk-jug’ bumper cap was scrubbed by their tire. They took off very fast….

I’m now in AL, but have dash cams in all vehicles because of S. Fl

SeanKenmore

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Occupation
Biotech
So, a couple of weeks ago, we took a trip up to Steinjager/AceEngineering (now in Bushnell, IL) and picked up my JT sliders.

Started to install them myself, and ran into 2 of the bolts that wouldn't break free no matter what we did.. so decided, we'd just have the local dealership handle it. (Nearly every one of the mechanics are jeep guys, so I actually trust them)

So.. got them installed, yesterday... glad I did, too. Took them a LOT of heating up of the passenger front to get it out, even afterwards, they replaced the bolt. Anyway, they look great, and the wife and daughter love the fact they have something to climb up with.

Anyway, less than 24 hours later, I got to 'test' them out, in the manner that many people joke about, but rarely do you get to experience first hand.

Was at Walmart picking up a few groceries... was in the parking lot loading the 5-6 bags into the back seat, when some BMW comes tearing through the parking lot, like they're a friggen Indy racer, and whips into the parking spot on the passenger side. The driver is a gal, taking on her phone via speakerphone.. clearly not paying attention. Starts getting out, throws her door open.. and.. WHAM!

She gets this look of horror, looks at me, right in the eyes... looks down to see the damage.. and then loses her mind when she sees the damage to her door. Since the door made impact with the slider, in 1 single point, the area around that single point, just sort of crumpled around it, so her door has a pretty ugly looking crease/dent right on the edge.

She freaks out, tells the person on the phone that she has to go, because 'someone just hit me'. Then starts screaming at me, that I hit her, and how she's going to sue, and how is she supposed to drive with that damage on her car... etc.. etc..

Needless to say, I'm sitting there wondering if she's really that dumb... when the guy in the truck next to me (who had just pulled in before her) retaliates at her, pointing out that I was in my spot already, and she's the one that crossed the line with her door. It wasn't my fault at all, and that she just needs to chalk it up as her own screw up, and move on.

She starts screaming at him, telling him to mind his own business, and that she's going to call the cops to report my hitting her car.

He points out, that with the damage right on the very edge of her door, every cop is going to know exactly what happened, but.. by all means.. she should call the cops... and then places his county Sherriff's badge on the hood of her car.

At this point, I'm amused and sort of baffled what to do... lol.. guess it showed on my face, because the guy looks at me, and says: 'You can go ahead and leave, sir..
I'm going to stick around until she calls the city, so I can tell them exactly what happened.'

Total damage to the sliders? I have a slight scratch.. maybe a small 'ding'.. dunno, to ME it just looks like she went thru the powder coat.. but not even all the way through that. lol There was quite a bit of paint that was easy to wipe off.. but hell, I can't imagine what that dent in my door would have looked like if the sliders weren't there to stop it, based on how crumpled her door was in that spot.. *Shrug*

Anyway... just wanted to share an amusing (to me) story. I've seen several folks say they're good to prevent carts from stray carts hitting the truck.. but never even dawned on me about careless drivers.

Thanks for reading :)

~ Casp
Good to read your story 😊 and if I may request you to please share exactly what ace slider you have installed. I am considering to have some kind of slider step assist but without sacrificing the rock rails my Mojave came with.

Sponsored

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
OP
OP
Caspien

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Good to read your story 😊 and if I may request you to please share exactly what ace slider you have installed. I am considering to have some kind of slider step assist but without sacrificing the rock rails my Mojave came with.
I assume the Mojave and the Rubicon have similar rails...

These are the ones I installed:

https://aceengineeringandfab.com/collections/gladiator/products/ace-jt-gladiator-rock-sliders

And this thread has some photos from the assembly line/factory, from our trip a few weeks ago :)

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...e-engineering-assets.45327/page-2#post-769496

~ Casp

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
This thread made my week - thank you!

On my TJ, I had sliders with the step rail. I got a small smile on my face whenever I saw foreign paint spots on the slider. Especially the ones that left a gouge - you just KNOW their door ain't right after that

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
That’s one hilarious, but sad story!

My JKUR Hard Rock had the Mopar “extended” sliders on it, the ones with the extra tube sticking off the side. It was a regular occurrence to come out of a store and find a little colored paint spot on the side of them with a corresponding dent on the door of the car next to me. It never left a permanent mark on the rails. I don’t know what Jeep coated those with but it was awesome.