Sponsored

Roof leak in back

jeepdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator , 91 Grand Wagoneer, 1964 CJ3B, 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715, two unrestored 1956 Willys Pickups
My dealer told me that they have had this same issue of rear window frame cracking/leaking on some of the Dodge Ram trucks that they have sold.
He didn't say if it was limited to model year.
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
What product did you use?
If that question was for me, I used rubber vacuum hose. I honestly don't know the size I bought because I had several different sizes 'in stock'.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I tried multiple sizes of weatherstrip and neither worked for me .... I ended up sealing with a polyurethane and haven't had a leak since. Note that I did not fully fill the void with sealant... I did first run a small dia backer and then applied the sealant over.

Jeep Gladiator Roof leak in back jtwindow2

Jeep Gladiator Roof leak in back jtwindow3

Sponsored

BalancedPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Business owner/Vibration Analyst
Update: My dealership checked and agreed my rear window is leaking. They collected pictures and submitted the report. I'm supposed to hear from them by mid-week to schedule the replacement. So far, so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
My dealer told me that they have had this same issue of rear window frame cracking/leaking on some of the Dodge Ram trucks that they have sold.
He didn't say if it was limited to model year.
Rams have had issues since 2005 with the 3rd gen.

BalancedPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Business owner/Vibration Analyst
Update: My dealer called, replacement has been approved. The new glass is on it's way, but I couldn't get an appointment until the end of June as that was the earliest they would have a loaner for me. So now I wait. This is almost going too smooth...

OHverland

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
My experience so far:
  • Noticed water intrusion inside cabin, rear window leaking
  • Called local dealership, they stated "we don't have a body shop, you'll have to take it to another dealership"
  • Called 2nd dealership out of town. They stated "your local dealership is giving you the run around"
  • Stopped in person at the local dealership, service advisor still gives me the body shop excuse and refuses service
  • Contacted @JeepCares and they told me it's at the dealer's discretion, zero help from @JeepCares
  • Called out of town dealership and they referred me to a 3rd party body shop. Refused any loaner stating "we only provide loaners to folks with the vehicles in here for 4-5 weeks
  • Contacted Jeep Wave customer service. They created a case and escalated to a "Jeep Wave Premium Case Manager" and stated they will be contacting me in 1-2 business days to discuss. It's been several business days and no one has contacted me
So, yeah, it's been fun!

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, being provided a loaner is at the discretion of the dealership. It's a courtesy, not a rule.
Nothing says they have to. With today's status of loaners and rental vehicles, it's no surprise few are even offering that courtesy.
Loaners/rental vehicles were sold off and worked out of the system through normal attrition. The shortage of new meant that they were not replaced. My son travels a lot and said he's been to places where getting a rental vehicle for his business trips was a fiasco. Shortage of rentals.
Anyway, no one is owed a rental, it's not a given or a promise. It's a courtesy.
Frustrating, but not totally controllable by dealers, either.
Even the Jeep Wave documents state something like "1 day rental provided......................." or words to that effect.

As far as repairs, it's more frustrating, IMO, that they can push you back out the door by saying "we don't have a body shop". It's an excuse - they should all have relationships with body shops. There are times when they have to warrant body parts. To sell a vehicle and then say "we will handle the warranty unless we won't" is saying "we won't service what we sell because we don't know how".

Luckily the dealers close by have "Collision centers" but they are outrageously expensive if you aren't covered under warranty.
Sure, they'll replace a broken windshield, at about 2 to 300 higher than any other shop.

Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
Actually, being provided a loaner is at the discretion of the dealership. It's a courtesy, not a rule.
Nothing says they have to. With today's status of loaners and rental vehicles, it's no surprise few are even offering that courtesy.
Loaners/rental vehicles were sold off and worked out of the system through normal attrition. The shortage of new meant that they were not replaced. My son travels a lot and said he's been to places where getting a rental vehicle for his business trips was a fiasco. Shortage of rentals.
Anyway, no one is owed a rental, it's not a given or a promise. It's a courtesy.
Frustrating, but not totally controllable by dealers, either.
Even the Jeep Wave documents state something like "1 day rental provided......................." or words to that effect.

As far as repairs, it's more frustrating, IMO, that they can push you back out the door by saying "we don't have a body shop". It's an excuse - they should all have relationships with body shops. There are times when they have to warrant body parts. To sell a vehicle and then say "we will handle the warranty unless we won't" is saying "we won't service what we sell because we don't know how".

Luckily the dealers close by have "Collision centers" but they are outrageously expensive if you aren't covered under warranty.
Sure, they'll replace a broken windshield, at about 2 to 300 higher than any other shop.
@ShadowsPapa you’re correct on this- I think most people think that the dealer is obligated to provide a loaner, but that’s just not the case.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa you’re correct on this- I think most people think that the dealer is obligated to provide a loaner, but that’s just not the case.
It wasn't that many years ago you never got a loaner. You took your vehicle in, dropped it off, and when they called that it was done, you went back and got it.
It wasn't that many years ago a loaner wasn't even a thing. We survived. I don't know how we did it, but we survived.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
It wasn't that many years ago you never got a loaner. You took your vehicle in, dropped it off, and when they called that it was done, you went back and got it.
It wasn't that many years ago a loaner wasn't even a thing. We survived. I don't know how we did it, but we survived.
Hahah. Yep, barely survived. I remember the first time I had a dealer offer a shuttle ride. I was like “what for?” I always planned a ride home or planned to wait. I will say that if they told me that it was going to be an extended number of days, I would ask for a loaner. I had a brand new 2001 Ram that was blasting through fuel pumps- after the third pump, they decided to find the root cause, and after three days of diagnosis without knowing anything, they gave me a loaner so I could get to work on my own while they continued their pursuit. In the end, they put about 100 miles on it, and it was caused by a hot fuel pump wire that had some of the insulation stripped off during production. When you hit a bump just right, that wire would ground out and smoke the pump. I had a loaner for just under two weeks then.

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
What product did you use?
I used this. Perfect fit. Split down the middle and keep the adhesive back tape on. Push down with a credit card. “Don’t drop it between the bed bedside it’s a pain in the ass getting it back. Ask me how I know…

Anyways one strip should do both sides and the top. No need for the bottom. Water rarely rains up outside of forest gump. Should fully stop the issue.

99D2A2CA-72C2-4168-A633-EC827DA3F034.jpeg

OHverland

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
For the record, I don't feel like they are obligated. The out of town dealership has loaners, I just don't meet their criteria of having it in there "for 4-5 weeks". Since the local dealership is refusing warranty service, it would have been nice to have a loaner since I may have to travel out of town to drop the Jeep off.
Sponsored