Roof leak in back

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Trim-Lok Rubber Tubing Seal – .276” Outside Diameter, .206” Inside Diameter, 25’ Length – Closed Cell EPDM Foam Tubing – Ideal Door and Window Weather Seal for Cars, Trucks, RVs, Boats, and the Home https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4DI2E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_FWXMRTZY8EJDDAK1DG0J

It's from amazon.com I can say I recommend the diy fix now anyway since you are at the mercy of the glass company. Maybe some black silicone deeper inside at the top half corners then this? Painting around my window myself and going to add this back in. The rams had a Similar window design with leaks and I recently saw the newest models have a rubber gasket all the way around. This stuff alone did stop all water when I had the old window and you get a decent amount of it too. Good luck!
Thanks! Aside from being out of warranty and not wanting to spend a pile of cash on this I also don't want to be at the mercy of the dealer or glass guy. It's just not worth the time and aggravation when I can hopefully solve the problem for $20 and a few minutes of my time. And if it doesn't work then I am only out $20 and few minutes of my time.
Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
For those who have had the window replaced, what was the cost of the parts and labor? Just curious what the financial hit will be if I decide to have the window replaced.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Well...darn...add me to the list. Mine has started. Very small amount, but we had enough rain and i let it sit out enough at times to finally see it inside on the glass and along the window , bottom of hardtop.

Archie Bunker

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
So I got into the dealership. The told me the rear window seal is defective. Whole window needs replacing. $2000. But, I am 3000 miles over my bumper to bumper and I must pay for it. 68k Jeep, 39,000 miles and the back window seal is defective(their words not mine) and I must pay to replace?

Devil Dog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave, 2023 Rubicon 392
Dealer ordered new glass for mine and it's covered under warrany.
Bad news is, I need to get new stickers for the back window 😓

Sponsored

MattHamilton

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Support Analyst
My 2021 JT Overland has a leak as well. Heading into the dealer tomorrow. Functionally stock, nothing done to the cab (tint etc.), and the back top has never been removed. Date of Manufacture on the door frame says "8 - 20". I was very disappointed when I found the water.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So I got into the dealership. The told me the rear window seal is defective. Whole window needs replacing. $2000. But, I am 3000 miles over my bumper to bumper and I must pay for it. 68k Jeep, 39,000 miles and the back window seal is defective(their words not mine) and I must pay to replace?
Yeah, that sucks. If me, I would try to see if the dealership would go to bat for you and see if they can get either full "goodwill" or even a partial covering the cost of replacement from Jeep.

Archie Bunker

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, that sucks. If me, I would try to see if the dealership would go to bat for you and see if they can get either full "goodwill" or even a partial covering the cost of replacement from Jeep.
Weird part? I aske them for a copy of their findings and they wouldn't give it to me. The rep just said that they contract the glass issues out and that I should call my insurance company and file a claim. I asked for a copy to have in case the insurance company wanted it and she no.

MattHamilton

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Support Analyst
And here is the repair summary:
Jeep Gladiator Roof leak in back 1635865856210

covered by warranty.

No removal of glass. Is that normal?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

covered by warranty.

I would not call that normal when 99% of everybody else got the whole window replaced for the issue.

IMHO, that is a band-aid fix and not a long term one. I would be talking to the dealership on a true replacement and if necessary, go over their head.

Sponsored

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi

covered by warranty.

Did they only sealed it from the inside using a seam sealer? Doesn't that allow water to still penetrate inward until it reaches their new seal? If so, how does that affect the outside that is still allowing potential water penetration inward?

I could be wrong, but I believe seam sealer applied inside a vehicle is typically to seal against fumes entering. Seam sealer applied to the exterior is to seal from water/moisture.

MattHamilton

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Support Analyst
Did they only sealed it from the inside using a seam sealer? Doesn't that allow water to still penetrate inward until it reaches their new seal? If so, how does that affect the outside that is still allowing potential water penetration inward?

I could be wrong, but I believe seam sealer applied inside a vehicle is typically to seal against fumes entering. Seam sealer applied to the exterior is to seal from water/moisture.
I don't see any evidence of new "product" on either the outside or the inside of the rear window - but honestly I don't know what I'm looking for exactly. I agree, though, the seal should be applied from the outside not the inside. I'll call the dealership back and see if I can get them to describe the repair in more detail.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I don't see any evidence of new "product" on either the outside or the inside of the rear window - but honestly I don't know what I'm looking for exactly. I agree, though, the seal should be applied from the outside not the inside. I'll call the dealership back and see if I can get them to describe the repair in more detail.
I'd love to hear what they did. I have the leak but I'm 12,000 miles out of warranty. I've messed around with silicone and some weather stripping from the outside but the way the rear window is designed makes it very difficult to do from the outside. I haven't tried to remove the interior trim at all to go at it from the inside.

Worst case for $2,000 I'll just buy a premium soft top...

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
I'd love to hear what they did. I have the leak but I'm 12,000 miles out of warranty. I've messed around with silicone and some weather stripping from the outside but the way the rear window is designed makes it very difficult to do from the outside. I haven't tried to remove the interior trim at all to go at it from the inside.

Worst case for $2,000 I'll just buy a premium soft top...
Mine was under warranty, new window put in but I've seen plenty of people fix it themselves. I had to repair the paint around the window myself after the glass company touched up the hard top with gloss black paint with pet hair stuck in it. I didn't want them anywhere near it again. Luckily it came out great after

20211020_123924.jpg

20211020_142031.jpg

Reactions: Tim

Deadpool392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR, 2010 Rescue Green JKU
I tried searching to see if I could find anyone else with my mystery leak symptoms, but it came up empty. I have noticed after it rains now, I have water pooling underneath the Bluetooth speaker With no trail of where it is coming from. Checking to see if anyone else has had this issue and figured out where it was getting in from, thanks.
Sponsored