Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Just wanted to let everyone know I just did over a 200 mile round trip with my max tow on 2” spacer lift w 34s and front rubicon springs.

I haven’t got the steering box installed yet (due to next week), but towing on the interstate between 60-64 mph, I must say I’m impressed. Several long steep runs, it did great. I was hesitant to go for a long trip on the interstate, but it was so much easier than the other secondary roads. Yea I had large trucks, other travel trailers, fifth wheels and semis flying past me, but it was easy and fairly low stress and easy.

On the steep inclines yea the engine revs up, but I didn’t have a single problem maintaining the 63-64 mph.

I have a red arc pro brake controller, Weight distribution hitch (set up perfectly, which puts the trailer almost perfectly level.. to the 1/2 inch and the Jeep drops about 1.75” front and rear, but it’s perfectly proportionate and level). The WDH has sway bars built in, the friction type, which are noisy, but they work great!!! Passed almost a hundred semis head on, or passing me from behind, not a single bit of sway. Also cross winds were about 20-25 mph today, no issues at all.

Overall I’m super impressed. I’m slightly more inclined to believe the mopar website which states my towing capacity is over 8200. I’m about 1300 away from that. So glad I went with the bigger trailer! Camping is a breeze with the two bedrooms!!!!

06BB5272-311E-43AD-A572-B78E4B82C859.jpeg

3F86B113-A471-4F4B-B2B7-5CD97AA4F288.jpeg

432597D3-3971-47AD-A73B-9C3BC88CB5A9.jpeg

3CCFE15A-D42E-41F0-AFD1-F6B0725C8364.jpeg

Edit: I also installed a rear observational camera. This combined with the mirror extensions, changing lanes and getting on and off instate is a breeze. I couldn’t imagine doing without both!

595012CF-A3B8-4752-9781-CC2D6123A62E.jpeg

A0CE74AF-B627-4E37-A81E-3BA2B649079C.jpeg

Is this glamping?!?

67119DAC-CB92-4A26-AA60-4B888AACA0F3.png

Here’s a picture of the weight distribution hitch with built in sway bars. Notice I had to put them really high to get the Jeep level when it had the hitch load. It’s not level in this picture though because I had the jack down. DO not get a WDH with chains. The bars are noisy when turning, but you at least know those things are working!!

B2544B1E-501F-4E9E-A6BE-25FE9B6DB4BE.png

Here’s a closer picture without the jack.

67D68665-826C-42B2-B493-084693A40A74.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Thanks for this. My trailer choice comes in about 1000 lbs. lighter with sway control. I was curious about the revs and overall feel of the rig. No Braking issues?

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for this. My trailer choice comes in about 1000 lbs. lighter with sway control. I was curious about the revs and overall feel of the rig. No Braking issues?
With the red arc elite... you can set it so the Jeep isn’t working at all with braking. When I was messing with the levels of braking and setting it up, at one point (like around 9) it felt like it stopped faster w the trailer than the Jeep stops by its self without a load.

Yes, it does rev on steep inclines, but I didn’t have one problem keeping speed. In the campground we were in... it’s steep to get to the upper sites. It probably rises 600-700 feet in less than a half mile. One part was scary steep but it pulled right up it.

Interstate speed at 64 feels more stable than at 50-55 on 2-4 lane secondary roads. Not sure what this is about but 64 mph is the sweet spot.

Also I got about 11.5 mpg round trip.

Last edited:

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m slightly more inclined to believe the mopar website which states my towing capacity is over 8200.
Why do people continue to throw out this misinformation? The towing Capacity of the max tow is clearly stated as 7650 lbs. Just because the Mopar website is a POS and has the wrong information does not mean that someone’s vehicle is suddenly rated to tow 600 more pounds than what is clearly advertised by jeep and what is stated in the owners manual.

The Mopar site won’t even bring up my payload and towing details anymore, it just says to check the owners manual so hopefully they figured out their site has a bug.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do people continue to throw out this misinformation? The towing Capacity of the max tow is clearly stated as 7650 lbs. Just because the Mopar website is a POS and has the wrong information does not mean that someone’s vehicle is suddenly rated to tow 600 more pounds than what is clearly advertised by jeep and what is stated in the owners manual.

The Mopar site won’t even bring up my payload and towing details anymore, it just says to check the owners manual so hopefully they figured out their site has a bug.
Just because your panties are in a wad because the site has a bug, and your towing capacity doesn’t show up doesn’t mean you have to rant on every thread you get a chance to about it.

I talked to both my dealer service manager and an FCA rep and they both said that the site IS correct, individual payloads and max tow weights DO vary based on options. The service manager said it was exactly the same as the payload capacities, he said look on the inside of each door, they will all vary based on individual specs.
Also, notice on jeeps website notice it says “see dealer” for details under towing capacity?

Manuals have generic info and have general data to cover multiple trim and option levels. If you pay attention the manual also says some things that are not constantly accurate. It’s not the bible like you claim. Just because a few people have the site not registering their vehicle correctly doesn’t mean it is 100% inaccurate.

Please provide EVIDENCE to your baseless claim that the site is providing false information.

Sponsored

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@danielspivey OK,

This user posted a screenshot showing the site reported he has over 10,000 towing capacity in his Gladiator Should he blindly believe this when Jeep clearly states otherwise?

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/just-looked-my-truck-up-on-the-mopar-site.35278/post-574886

EDIT: @danielspivey has shown the above was likely a joke posted by another user from below comments.

Here is another user where the site shows he can tow -1 pounds. Should he also blindly believe the Mopar site?

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ver-8000lbs-towing-capacity.32037/post-553008

if Jeep thought the Gladiator was capable of towing more than 7650 pounds in any configuration they would absolutely market that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@danielspivey OK,

This user posted a screenshot showing the site reported he has over 10,000 towing capacity in his Gladiator Should he blindly believe this when Jeep clearly states otherwise?

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-truck-up-on-the-mopar-site.35278/post-574886

Here is another user where the site shows he can tow -1 pounds. Should he also blindly believe the Mopar site?

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ver-8000lbs-towing-capacity.32037/post-553008

if Jeep thought the Gladiator was capable of towing more than 7650 pounds in any configuration they would absolutely market that.
you shouldn’t believe everything you see on the internet. Stick to reputable sources.

how about you enlarge that screenshot of over 10k, you can clearly see it’s been whitened out and changed. You can also see the text font and color is different than payload. I’m guessing he did that as a joke.

it’s obvious there is some error with the jeeps showing no towing capacity, but like I said, per FCA and my dealer the website is correct.

Jeep Gladiator Round trip to mountains with 6850 lb travel trailer (max tow, 2” spacer lift/34s) DDCA2FA1-CCDF-456A-83D7-56C61034E9F8

Why do you continue to spread misinformation on the internet (like your post of someone claiming the site says he had 10k towing, knowing it’s fake)?

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I didn't notice that before on the 10K one and agree with your assessment. I posted that link from my phone and didn't zoom in to examine the pixels.

It still leaves the '-1 lbs' towing capacity example, which at the least shows there is some issue with the calculations of towing capacity. If you are willing to believe the dealer over the manufacturer on towing capacity and the validity of a website the dealer has no control over then that is your own choice. I'm merely trying to inform others that the advertised (official) max towing capacity of a max tow Gladiator is 7650 lbs and they should use that number as the guideline. Not a number that none of us have any idea how it's calculated.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't notice that before on the 10K one and agree with your assessment. I posted that link from my phone and didn't zoom in to examine the pixels.

It still leaves the '-1 lbs' towing capacity example, which at the least shows there is some issue with the calculations of towing capacity. If you are willing to believe the dealer over the manufacturer on towing capacity and the validity of a website the dealer has no control over then that is your own choice. I'm merely trying to inform others that the advertised (official) max towing capacity of a max tow Gladiator is 7650 lbs and they should use that number as the guideline. Not a number that none of us have any idea how it's calculated.
as I said in my post above this wasn’t just from the dealer but also a FCA rep, they said each truck has a variable payload and tow capacity.

the way the guy from FCA explained it was look in the manual and the payload specs, that varies from what is printed on the door. He said compare that mopar website payload and the frame of the door... what do you know? Mine matches:

Jeep Gladiator Round trip to mountains with 6850 lb travel trailer (max tow, 2” spacer lift/34s) 19B3344E-8C1D-4F3E-87DC-5EED38541244

Jeep Gladiator Round trip to mountains with 6850 lb travel trailer (max tow, 2” spacer lift/34s) 781EA142-A5A8-4E49-8AB9-A465BFEE77AB

Last edited:

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm not disputing payload numbers but I understand that you're trying to show that since one number is correct that they all must be.

I would venture a guess that the website is using a generic calculation of GCVWR - weight of vehicle - 150lbs and just inserting that number into towing capacity with no provisions for what the advertised max tow rating of the vehicle is.

Sponsored

mtgustin

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Past: 76' CJ-7, 2013 GC Altitude 5.7, 87 Wrangler
Occupation
Horribly underpaid government worker
I'm not disputing payload numbers but I understand that you're trying to show that since one number is correct that they all must be.

I would venture a guess that the website is using a generic calculation of GCVWR - weight of vehicle - 150lbs and just inserting that number into towing capacity with no provisions for what the advertised max tow rating of the vehicle is.
Almost every truck will be slightly different in payload, towing, etc. due to it's make-up. i.e. lift, tires, elevation, terrain, load.....each person will figure out what works and what doesn't.

S&S

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojava
Occupation
sales
first i have to say beautiful rig, but there is no way i would pull that trailer with my Jeep.
just my opinion, which i know means nothing. it is not safe for you or any other vehicles
on the road. i guess if it was just you on the highway with no chance of ever seeing another vehicle than its your call. but i have seen smaller trucks even half and three quarter ton trucks destroyed
on my way home from many trips. i hate to see anyone hurt. in California they would pull you over and make you drop the trailer if it was decided it was unsafe or overweight even by 1 pound. again beautiful set up, just be careful..

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Daniel,
Thanks for the real world experience. You have given enough details about your set up for people to make some comparisons with their own set ups.
What don't you like about chain WDH's? I have never run the solid ones like you have, those are new to me.
(And I have run a lot, some good, some on a wing and a prayer)

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
first i have to say beautiful rig, but there is no way i would pull that trailer with my Jeep.
just my opinion, which i know means nothing. it is not safe for you or any other vehicles
on the road. i guess if it was just you on the highway with no chance of ever seeing another vehicle than its your call. but i have seen smaller trucks even half and three quarter ton trucks destroyed
on my way home from many trips. i hate to see anyone hurt. in California they would pull you over and make you drop the trailer if it was decided it was unsafe or overweight even by 1 pound. again beautiful set up, just be careful..
i have a friend who is a cop and he said he has seen lots of RV travel trailer wrecks. He said every time people were either over capacity, didn’t have a weight distribution hitch (therefore no weight on front steering tires), no sway control (you need a decent hitch that has it build it) PLUS a brake controller.

People that have issues don’t do these things and usually combine that WITH driving too fast. Last week I saw a Tacoma with a trailer trailer my size with out a weight distribution hitch and no sway control. I also guarantee he did he likely didn’t even know what a brake controller is. He was going between 75-80.

There is a reason that travel trailers come with tires rated for 65 mph. Most people don’t even know tires have a speed rating.

S&S

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojava
Occupation
sales
well that is why you see the saying CANT FIX STUPID all the time

also had my steering box fixed, did nothing sways just as bad maybe even a little more.
took few weeks to get the parts, dealer did not want to do it until i showed them the bulletin.

have a great day
scott
Sponsored