danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
@danielspivey is that the dry or full weight of the trailer? What’s the make / model of your RV and sway bar setup?
WDH w sway control is the Fastway e2 10k. I found they are essentially the same design as the Equalizer WDH just 200-300 cheaper. I read somewhere they are made by the same company?
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: dwl

fonzie

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JT, 1996 Bronco

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
Here is where the truck falls short, power. For the most part it does the job just fine. But when I was at 7000' elevation, heading up another 700' to my destination, the grade was 6% and over for 11 miles. The Gladiator sat at 40mph and could not go any faster. And the engine was reving high. It wasn't comfortable and I did not enjoy the engine screaming up the hill. Everywhere else the truck has pulled it well and with plenty of power. But there are areas that out there that will torture the engine and trans, while towing. Transmission temps seem good.
I think this is what is missing in most threads where people dispute power. Elevation makes a huge difference. In Calgary we are at 3,500ft and you get into the mountains and things get a bit dicey. It's not like Colorado where you're getting to 10,000ft on a road but 5,000ft mountain passes are pretty common and you're either going up one or down one once you go west of Banff. I'm really hoping that when they put out the 4xe of this truck that it's this v6 paired with a motor that can add anothe 150lbft of torque. ideally it would be enough to get you up the pass without being at redline the whole time and can recharge on the way down. Whether that's how the power algo works or not is TBD but one can dream.

dwl

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Nissan Xterra
6078 delivered with full propane tanks.

forest river Salem cruise lite 273qbxl

when I ordered it, it was the only one in stock this side of the country ... I got it from GA and I’m in Va.
So that was dry with not extras the little woman added to the RV?

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I think this is what is missing in most threads where people dispute power. Elevation makes a huge difference. In Calgary we are at 3,500ft and you get into the mountains and things get a bit dicey. It's not like Colorado where you're getting to 10,000ft on a road but 5,000ft mountain passes are pretty common and you're either going up one or down one once you go west of Banff. I'm really hoping that when they put out the 4xe of this truck that it's this v6 paired with a motor that can add anothe 150lbft of torque. ideally it would be enough to get you up the pass without being at redline the whole time and can recharge on the way down. Whether that's how the power algo works or not is TBD but one can dream.
Yeah, the 4xe may be a great choice down the road, depending on the specs. I also think just a regear will solve the problem, until then. I am thinking 4.88 with the stock 33s. I need to find out what my rpms will be at 70mph. If its 2500 or less, I think I am good. I do very little highway driving, except when we are heading out of town with the trailer. So I don't think the regear will effect my mpg.

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
please explain how the chains provide sway control. Form my research and the local expert at local big Tex trailer shop the WDHs with chain on support the WD, the chains can swing freely forward and back with little resistance. This is why the more expensive models up friction pads. Also the chain versions typically always have add on sway control.

in all seriousness I’d like to understand how the chains provide sway control? Could you explain? Maybe you have a special model?
^This is why I do my own research and don’t trust ‘local experts’ or the forums/Facebook tow police.

Blue Ox is a different type of bar than the round bar style chain hitches yet it still uses a chain to provide tension. It is designed to bend like a bow and is under tension on both sides. That combined with the bar mounts on pivots pushes the hitch towards being straight going down the road yet allows for turning/backing without disconnect.

https://www.blueox.com/5-ways-blue-ox-can-help-with-sway-prevention/

https://www.blueox.com/trailer-towing/swaypro/

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^This is why I do my own research and don’t trust ‘local experts’ or the forums/Facebook tow police.

Blue Ox is a different type of bar than the round bar style chain hitches yet it still uses a chain to provide tension. It is designed to bend like a bow and is under tension on both sides. That combined with the bar mounts on pivots pushes the hitch towards being straight going down the road yet allows for turning/backing without disconnect.

https://www.blueox.com/5-ways-blue-ox-can-help-with-sway-prevention/

https://www.blueox.com/trailer-towing/swaypro/
^^^This is also why I don’t listen to “some” Internet forum experts and do my own research.

I did a lot of research as well, and read the info from the blue ox website:
How Does SwayPro Prevent Trailer Sway?
  1. TensionSwayPro works by using tension on the spring bars to keep them taut. The attached brackets ensure that the pressure from the spring bars keeps the trailer in alignment with the towing vehicle.
  2. Weight DistributionSwayPro is geometrically optimized and computer designed for the highest quality weight distribution and sway prevention without any additional adjustments. The design features self-locking spring bars that flex for optimal weight distribution and clearance.
  3. Built-in ControlSwayPro’s sway control is built into the head: if you’re pulling your trailer in an environment that would create sway, one of the sway bars becomes more loaded than the other, which keeps the trailer in line and centered with the towing vehicle.
  4. SwayPro is Safer Than Friction Sway Control BarsFriction sway control devices aren’t designed to bring the trailer back to center behind the tow vehicle; they simply slow down the sway. Friction devices can stop working in wet weather conditions like rain or snow. SwayPro’s built-in sway prevention works in any weather. Friction hitches are noisy. You will enjoy a quieter and smoother ride with SwayPro.
  5. User-friendly DesignSwayPro is one of the most user-friendly systems on the market. Created with the user in mind, it allows for quick and easy hook-up and there is no need to disconnect before backing up like other similar devices.

Sorry I don’t buy this. All the points keep referring to WD and not sway control.

#3 talks about one bar being more loaded than the other. This is the same with most WDHs. You can see when I’m parked at an angle, or stopped in a turn, one bar is bent and the other isn’t.

#4 this statement is false and untrue. Many friction bar style WDHs are designed with on center pivot points ball bearing or bars that have a tappered end where the bar meets the pivot, which continually tries to fight the trailer back to center. The reality is no system can truly push back to center unless it’s locked center.

Seems like the blue ox is mainly marketed to being a quiet system, which if that’s what your looking fit go for it.

My system with the friction bars worked great in rain. I drove throw a monsoon with the set up, friction bars were just as noisy, their claim that the system “stops working” is BS. No way a little water or ice makes thousands of pounds of friction go away.

Lastly, I read a few articles how chain system like the blue ox in some situations encourages sway. Like you stated, one side bends like a bow pushing the trailer back toward center, but it goes past center and loads the other bar, which pushes back ... and a ripple , sway effect. Tension bars resist motion every move, every side, every motion. The blue ox pushes back and forth to center like ping pong...

I understand you like the ping pong effect sway control, but I prefer the friction set up better. To each his/her own. Research what you like and believe... go with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daniel,
Thanks for the real world experience. You have given enough details about your set up for people to make some comparisons with their own set ups.
What don't you like about chain WDH's? I have never run the solid ones like you have, those are new to me.
(And I have run a lot, some good, some on a wing and a prayer)
Let me start with things I do like about chain WDHs... easier to set up and are quieter. What I don’t like is they don’t provide proper sway control. With the chains, one bar bends, pushes it back to center like a sling shot. It goes past center pushing on the other bar. What is this? It’s sway.

With friction bars every movement is met by enormous pressure form BOTH friction bars. They are both limiting movement or fighting it. With chains one bar loads pushes it towards the other. Yea some chain brands claim they do things to stop it back on center... but all that force likely goes past center, loading the other bar.

The Equalizer brand WDH hitches with friction pads are what mine is based on, they have a great reputation.

If money wasn’t a factor I would get a Hensley hitch: https://hensleymfg.com/ supposedly these are the best you can buy!

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you like them? Your trailer is similar to mine. I have a 29’ Cherokee Grey Wolf.
yes I like them, but not alone, without an observational camera. My TT is 8’ wide, so don’t expect to see the back edge of your trailer w these mirrors. However, when combined with the observational camera I got, I don’t have any blind spots when driving.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Really nice to see some bigger towing numbers here, especially lifted.

However, your towing capacity is not over 7,650. factory max possible is 7650. With the lift you most likely lost some of that capability due to spring differences. Website is inaccurate.

Glad the trip went well though :like:

Sponsored

tanner20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
^^^This is also why I don’t listen to “some” Internet forum experts and do my own research.
I am not trying to sell you on anything or change your opinion and I am no expert, never said I was. Do what you want, think what you want.

It sounds like you did some research but did you actually tow with a Blue Ox Swaypro? I have a feeling your 'local expert' a the trailer shop has not used one either and/or was referring to the chain WDH that require a separate friction sway bar.

I will say it again, to make a blanket statement that a WDH that uses chains as part of the system cannot control sway is absolutely FALSE.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I always thought that the WDH with chains helped with sway. That being said, the PROPER bars make all the difference. There are several different load ratings and many people do not have them tight enough, we use an 18" schedule 120 pipe for camming them over.
I have used the standard Reese style, the round bars similar to those pictured above but with chains, and even one where the hitch mounted on the truck swiveled in an arc (someone's better idea decades ago).

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really nice to see some bigger towing numbers here, especially lifted.

However, your towing capacity is not over 7,650. factory max possible is 7650. With the lift you most likely lost some of that capability due to spring differences. Website is inaccurate.

Glad the trip went well though :like:
That’s why I left the max tow springs on in the back. Where did you get the information that the website is inaccurate (besides those who are showing -1 numbers)?
Sponsored