danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I am not trying to sell you on anything or change your opinion and I am no expert, never said I was. Do what you want, think what you want.

It sounds like you did some research but did you actually tow with a Blue Ox Swaypro? I have a feeling your 'local expert' a the trailer shop has not used one either and/or was referring to the chain WDH that require a separate friction sway bar.

I will say it again, to make a blanket statement that a WDH that uses chains as part of the system cannot control sway is absolutely FALSE.
my point is blue ox doesn’t make a very good argument that their chain set up decreases sway any better than any other chain WDH.
Sponsored

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always thought that the WDH with chains helped with sway. That being said, the PROPER bars make all the difference. There are several different load ratings and many people do not have them tight enough, we use an 18" schedule 120 pipe for camming them over.
I have used the standard Reese style, the round bars similar to those pictured above but with chains, and even one where the hitch mounted on the truck swiveled in an arc (someone's better idea decades ago).
the chain WDHs pull up vertically, but they can move freely side to side, and front to back. Once the chain reaches a point of tension, the bar starts to bend pushing back towards the other side. The friction bars stop the side to side movement (the have vertical arm) AND resist with friction and great resistance front to back motion on both bars at the same time.

my dad has used one for years with his tundra and he had issues with sway. He then added a sway bracket on one side, it helped. He then added another sway bracket on the other side and his issues are almost gone. The issue with those add on brackets is he had to remove them when doing sharp turns or backing into certain spots.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
That’s why I left the max tow springs on in the back. Where did you get the information that the website is inaccurate (besides those who are showing -1 numbers)?

The three jeep dealerships I deal with.

Jeep Cares posted it.

A current Jeep engineer posted it was wrong most of the time along with confirming the highest rating is 7650.

FCA itself stated the highest tow rating is the sport s with MT package at 7650.

The last one is kind of a big deal. If you can prove (idk how honestly) that FCA's marketing is wrong and they are also wrong about the abilities of their own vehicles, then please do. Until then your post is just false information. Don't mean to be rude but I am stunned at the audacity of this, saying a website that is known to be wrong the majority of the time, is "correct" when it goes completely against what the manufacturer has stated for over a year.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The three jeep dealerships I deal with.

Jeep Cares posted it.

A current Jeep engineer posted it was wrong most of the time along with confirming the highest rating is 7650.

FCA itself stated the highest tow rating is the sport s with MT package at 7650.

The last one is kind of a big deal. If you can prove (idk how honestly) that FCA's marketing is wrong and they are also wrong about the abilities of their own vehicles, then please do. Until then your post is just false information. Don't mean to be rude but I am stunned at the audacity of this, saying a website that is known to be wrong the majority of the time, is "correct" when it goes completely against what the manufacturer has stated for over a year.
Well this is interesting because I got completely opposite opinions from both my dealer and the FCA rep I spoke to.

My question would be if your side of things is correct, and FCA is aware that the information is in accurate why is it still listed on the website?!? Sorry bud it doesn’t add up.

This is detailed information, on the actual Mopar website, that is based on the VIN of individual jeeps, and the payloads listed match the door jam, and they are going to continue to miss lead customers? Sounds like a stretch to me.

Can you list the message from jeep cares? Because that is rare of them to answer any specific questions, they usually refer all questions like that to your dealer.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Okay, being technologically challenged, where did you find this VIN specific information?
I am on the Mopar website, signed in to my garage and under owners manual, it says that my towing and payload information is not available.
(I am on a pc not an app.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, being technologically challenged, where did you find this VIN specific information?
I am on the Mopar website, signed in to my garage and under owners manual, it says that my towing and payload information is not available.
(I am on a pc not an app.)
When I log in it has my VIN associated with the profile. Not 100% sure whether I entered it initially or it was put in from my purchasing dealer.

here is a screen shot:

4B8BB846-9E50-4D21-A059-5322FB777CEA.jpeg

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well this is interesting because I got completely opposite opinions from both my dealer and the FCA rep I spoke to.

My question would be if your side of things is correct, and FCA is aware that the information is in accurate why is it still listed on the website?!? Sorry bud it doesn’t add up.

This is detailed information, on the actual Mopar website, that is based on the VIN of individual jeeps, and the payloads listed match the door jam, and they are going to continue to miss lead customers? Sounds like a stretch to me.

Can you list the message from jeep cares? Because that is rare of them to answer any specific questions, they usually refer all questions like that to your dealer.
Holy shit you're not actually that dense, right? You're trolling me. Right?

So you're telling me, that FCA's specific marking and EVERYTHING that they have put out, and have out on what the Gladiator's max towing capability, is wrong? Yes or no.

If yes:
- Please explain to me how your vehicle surpassed all government testing's allowing it to tow more than any other gladiator made when it is clearly stated that the max rating is 7650 by the manufacturer themselves.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Can we stop bashing Dan? He started this thread to tell us how his truck handled his trailer with his set-up. I think that he has valid information in that regard.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy shit you're not actually that dense, right? You're trolling me. Right?

So you're telling me, that FCA's specific marking and EVERYTHING that they have put out, and have out on what the Gladiator's max towing capability, is wrong? Yes or no.

If yes:
- Please explain to me how your vehicle surpassed all government testing's allowing it to tow more than any other gladiator made when it is clearly stated that the max rating is 7650 by the manufacturer themselves.
It’s my thread, your the troll kid. And to answer your question YES. Same reason that Mopar has put in all the advertising and propaganda about the brake controller but it took over a year to get it to consumers.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s my thread, your the troll kid. And to answer your question YES. Same reason that Mopar has put in all the advertising and propaganda about the brake controller but it took over a year to get it to consumers.
I get it. Blind belief. Obviously you can't provide proof that your JT exceeds the capabilities FCA's engineers state, or that FCA has been utterly wrong on it. Because why would they want to show they have higher capacity against competition? Luckily that site shows that I have almost 10k towing capacity, so I should be safe towing 9500, right? After all my payload number is correct so towing capacity must be too. /s

I hope anyone who is non experienced in towing does not take any number above 7650 lbs as truth. Towing over your limit is an extremely dangerous thing to do. Goodluck to you. Simply can't reason with people too short sighted to realize when they are wrong and get their heads out of their own asses.

Sponsored

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get it. Blind belief. Obviously you can't provide proof that your JT exceeds the capabilities FCA's engineers state, or that FCA has been utterly wrong on it. Because why would they want to show they have higher capacity against competition? Luckily that site shows that I have almost 10k towing capacity, so I should be safe towing 9500, right? After all my payload number is correct so towing capacity must be too. /s

I hope anyone who is non experienced in towing does not take any number above 7650 lbs as truth. Towing over your limit is an extremely dangerous thing to do. Goodluck to you. Simply can't reason with people too short sighted to realize when they are wrong and get their heads out of their own asses.
go away troll!!! It’s easy to look to see that you are a troll to other threads and simply a nuisance to this forum.

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
What a s**t show Some people are. max tow ratings are always lower than what the vehicle can safely tow. I towed my 6500lb dry boat 300 miles each way. have a weight distribution hitch and sway bars As well as a brake controller. No issues going up the big hill to Vegas. As a matter of fact it did better than my v10 excursion I have. i have towed a 16,000 lb tiny home across state with my excursion which is 4K over fords Rating. If you are setup correctly and have the necessary equipment and don’t drive like a maniac you’ll be fine. I don’t know why this is even an argument. If you don’t want to tow a heavy trailer than don’t. This isn’t politics.

PS very nice trailer. If I didn’t have a baby on the way I’d be rolling in one as well.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
The argument over the official 'tow rating' for your specific VIN will continue until FCA fixes their crappy web application that feeds both the phone app and the website. It is obvious there are issues but every vehicle that rolls off the line has a slightly different curb weight so there will be variance in what is referred to as 'towing capacity'.

My diesel shows "Sorry, your towing and payload information is not available. Please check your owner's manual for towing and payload details. "

The reality is the hard ceiling is your GCWR so regardless of the trailer weight you will need to be below that number. That does not change by VIN. For MY2013 and later vehicles the SAE J2807 tests establish the GCWR (and that test is a fairly high bar for vehicle performance given the scenarios defined, which include braking, but not directly related to hard mechanical limits like the GAWR). The rest of the numbers are calculated from that manufacturer certified GCWR in regards to towing capacity.

Given the GCWR is the ceiling as defined by the manufacturer you have two choices to tow more, lose weight on the tow vehicle or get a bigger tow vehicle. Going beyond the GCWR is never a good idea but understanding the requirements of J2807 towing at that GCWR you can get an understanding of what the vehicle CAN do at those loads. Unless you are towing a 7% grade in 100 degree heat for extended periods there should not be any issues with towing near that GCWR

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The argument over the official 'tow rating' for your specific VIN will continue until FCA fixes their crappy web application that feeds both the phone app and the website. It is obvious there are issues but every vehicle that rolls off the line has a slightly different curb weight so there will be variance in what is referred to as 'towing capacity'.

My diesel shows "Sorry, your towing and payload information is not available. Please check your owner's manual for towing and payload details. "

The reality is the hard ceiling is your GCWR so regardless of the trailer weight you will need to be below that number. That does not change by VIN. For MY2013 and later vehicles the SAE J2807 tests establish the GCWR (and that test is a fairly high bar for vehicle performance given the scenarios defined, which include braking, but not directly related to hard mechanical limits like the GAWR). The rest of the numbers are calculated from that manufacturer certified GCWR in regards to towing capacity.

Given the GCWR is the ceiling as defined by the manufacturer you have two choices to tow more, lose weight on the tow vehicle or get a bigger tow vehicle. Going beyond the GCWR is never a good idea but understanding the requirements of J2807 towing at that GCWR you can get an understanding of what the vehicle CAN do at those loads. Unless you are towing a 7% grade in 100 degree heat for extended periods there should not be any issues with towing near that GCWR
I agree they need to fix the site if it’s incorrect or stand by their calculations on the site.

And for those with the crazy replies, I never intend on even towing above 7000 pounds. Per my trailer manufacture the max dry weight plus gear and misc items is right at 7600. However it’s nice to know if I wanted to go camping somewhere and fill my freshwater tanks, I could, at least legally. If I did this it would most likely be somewhere around the coastal region and the beach. Not some mountain peak that has an elevation of 9000 feet.

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Manufacturer's max payload and max tow ratings are to legally protect the manufacturer if you do something stupid and cause an accident.

They are NOT there to legally protect YOU if you do something stupid, regardless of whether what you're hauling or towing happens to be under or over the number on the sticker.

The fact that FCA's website is (or isn't) goofed up, means they are potentially opening themselves up to liability if someone driving a Gladiator gets confused and does something stupid. This is stupid on their part.

Bottom line: drive with due care.
Sponsored