Rubicon Lockers Sensor Gone Bad. Repair or Replace

aFatBird

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I've gotten the infamous locker sensor going bad and my dealership has no eta on when my replacement part will arrive. Thinking about replacing the factory lockers with something aftermarket just for future peace of mind. Either that of just wait and get the factory replacement whenever that shows up.
Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Going by your vehicle info, you've got a 2022 that's under warranty. I'd let them deal with it and keep an eye on the clock for lemon law assuming you're the original owner for less than a year.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I've gotten the infamous locker sensor going bad and my dealership has no eta on when my replacement part will arrive. Thinking about replacing the factory lockers with something aftermarket just for future peace of mind. Either that of just wait and get the factory replacement whenever that shows up.
Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on your JT? I had the same thing happen to mine around 10k miles and I performed a diff fluid swap and it's been perfect since. I think there were enough particles in the fluid from break in that caused this. Maybe try this first rather waiting until the prescribed 40K diff fluid recommended change?

OP
OP
aFatBird

aFatBird

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole 3700 miles with about 150ish miles off road

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Yeah, that's not many miles for sure. Well, one way to rule out a faulty sensor might still be to drain and fill with new fluid anyway. For about 15min of you time and around $40 you could do it on a driveway.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
That's a lot of money to give out for something that should be covered under your warranty. I would wait it out unless you have money to burn.

WesternJeep401

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR EcoDiesel, 2020 JLUR Supercharged
Occupation
Govt
Multiple M220's I've regeared, all new, every one had "hairballs" of metallic debris on the drain plug as well as the sensor/actuator combo. My advice, besides the 500-mile oil change after replacement ring/pinion, is to do so on any new M220 factory locking axle assembly.

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
Did you submerge the axles in water? It’s good practice to change diff fluid once forded water beyond the mid height of tire. What size tire are you running?

OP
OP
aFatBird

aFatBird

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you submerge the axles in water? It’s good practice to change diff fluid once forded water beyond the mid height of tire. What size tire are you running?
Running 37s, never went through water more than I'd say 6" deep for any longer than a few minutes

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@WesternJeep401
Do you suggest a drain and refill or pull the diff cover and douche everything with brake parts cleaner then a refill?
I always figured if I had this problem I would go with the Zautomotive harness.

Z Locker OEM – Z Automotive

Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Multiple M220's I've regeared, all new, every one had "hairballs" of metallic debris on the drain plug as well as the sensor/actuator combo. My advice, besides the 500-mile oil change after replacement ring/pinion, is to do so on any new M220 factory locking axle assembly.
^^ THIS ^^

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
@WesternJeep401
Do you suggest a drain and refill or pull the diff cover and douche everything with brake parts cleaner then a refill?

Pull the cover the first time so you can inspect everything.
The gasket is reusable.

The OEM oil will come out pretty nasty looking.

The Z-locker thing is just a band aid.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
@WesternJeep401

I am out of warranty so I installed the Z automotive harness, worked like a charm. I bought an extra to have on hand for my wife’s JLR. When (if) I have time I will pott the sensors.

WesternJeep401

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR EcoDiesel, 2020 JLUR Supercharged
Occupation
Govt
@WesternJeep401

If you wish. The two-piece floating ring/coil assembly is where the actual pole piece, or magnetic "block", is located. I'm sure there's tons of pics of it, where its located kind-of on the upper 1/4 of the actuator itself. Oh, and don't be fooled; you'll take the final cover screw out and be like "ok, let me go get something to prise the cover off"....only to hear a clank, as it falls to the floor, 6' on the rack, with a mini-spill of ambrosia-smelling gear oil right on your cart. It's awesome. M210 pictured, 220 almost identical in config.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Lockers Sensor Gone Bad. Repair or Replace Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 5.43.46 PM

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I am out of warranty so I installed the Z automotive harness, worked like a charm. I bought an extra to have on hand for my wife’s JLR. When (if) I have time I will pott the sensors.
What does "pott the sensors" mean? Drill em out to empty/dysfunctional? Remove?? Thanks!
Sponsored