First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride, MB AMG C63S, 2002 Ram 1500
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Is a Rubicon oem steel bumper a fit for a Mojave? I’m thinking to buy a winch and a stock Mojave has the plastic bumper.
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Yes, you will need the optional steel bumper skid plate that bolts to bottom of bumper…Jack

OP
OP

asizemore

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Jack, am I correct by using that bumper I wouldn’t need a winch plate? Ie winch bolts direct to bumper? Sorry for the questions. It’s my first jeep. So I am new to all this.

Jakeyou

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
You will need a winch plate with that bumper.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
The ARB Classic Stubby bolts up perfectly, no extra plate needed for the winch, has a clean install and allows for the Mojave skid to be used with no trimming.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Any bumper that fits a JL or a JT will fit the Mojave.
You just have to come up with a way to mount your shock reservoirs.
There are universal brackets available that will move the reservoirs to the frame horns.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
The oem steel bumper is pretty flimsy and still needs a winch plate. The factory style tow hooks aren't a great recovery method either. You're better off with an aftermarket bumper of choice. The red rock 4x4 stubby was under $400 shipped, has proper recovery points, led fog lights, and built in winch plate.
20231225_085432.jpg

OP
OP

asizemore

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I"ll have to check the stubby out... trying to keep it simple and not add any more weight than I absolutlely have to. Thanks!

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
I"ll have to check the stubby out... trying to keep it simple and not add any more weight than I absolutlely have to. Thanks!
If you have access to the OEM steel bumper, buy it if its a good price. It is a good bumper. But as others said you need to buy a separate winch mounting plate. And make sure you get the skid plate that comes with it. You will not need to relocate your shock reservoirs.

Reddog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Army. Retired Construction Manager / Contracting Officer
The oem steel bumper is pretty flimsy and still needs a winch plate. The factory style tow hooks aren't a great recovery method either. You're better off with an aftermarket bumper of choice. The red rock 4x4 stubby was under $400 shipped, has proper recovery points, led fog lights, and built in winch plate.
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon oem steel bumper on Mojave 20231225_085432
I bought a warn winch and warn winch plate. The built in winch plates on many many bumpers are not engineered well and put too much stress in wrong place. The winch plate should be designed to protect the frame ends and put little or no stress on the bumper. The warn does so based on my research.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
By the time you add the steel bumper and the winch plate, and then the winch, you will probably be unhappy with the excessive "porpoising" or deflecting of the front end in dips, potholes, etc, The front end will also sit lower and may be at the edge of the shock absorbers' sweet spot. On my Mojave, I added 104 lb. with the Rugged Ridge Arcus, its winch plate, and a Harbor Freight 12k winch with locking hook. I had that suspension problem, but found that putting the setup on a diet to reduce the added weight to 70 lb, helped a lot and caused minimal front end sag. I noted the changes in another thread, which involved synthetic rope, lighter recovery points, etc.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
By the time you add the steel bumper and the winch plate, and then the winch, you will probably be unhappy with the excessive "porpoising" or deflecting of the front end in dips, potholes, etc, The front end will also sit lower and may be at the edge of the shock absorbers' sweet spot. On my Mojave, I added 104 lb. with the Rugged Ridge Arcus, its winch plate, and a Harbor Freight 12k winch with locking hook. I had that suspension problem, but found that putting the setup on a diet to reduce the added weight to 70 lb, helped a lot and caused minimal front end sag. I noted the changes in another thread, which involved synthetic rope, lighter recovery points, etc.
I've been wanting to see if the 2024 Mojave X springs are different. Factory steel bumper so it may put up with the weight better.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
I bought a warn winch and warn winch plate. The built in winch plates on many many bumpers are not engineered well and put too much stress in wrong place. The winch plate should be designed to protect the frame ends and put little or no stress on the bumper. The warn does so based on my research.
I agree to a point, if you're running the stock sheetmetal "steel" bumper. You're stand alone winch plate shouldn't put any stress on the stand alone bumper, and if it does its bending. Now on an aftermarket bumper that is built around and welded to the winch plate it is all one integrated component and in my opinion far stronger than just a winch plate with sheetmetal bumper facia. The stock bumper isn't strong and open tow hooks are a safety hazard in comparison to proper shackle mounts. That being said, we do run the factory steel bumper and hooks with a winch plate on the wife's 2022 JLUR as it came with the steel bumper. There's 0 chance having installed winches on both that the front bumper on the mojave isn't stronger by comparison. Once you factor in the winch plate the weight is probably the same. There's no way I would go out and spend the money on the steel bumper and separate winch plate to mount a winch on a JL/JT. There are much better options for less in my experience. Sure you can upgrade to proper recovery loops aftermarket too, but now you're pushing $1,200-1,500 into a hodge-podge of parts. Even the factory bumper and winch plate would be obviously stronger as a system if they were welded together, but that kinda defeats the sales pitch of "winch ready" bumper... that isn't actually winch ready.
Sponsored