Sponsored

Rubicon vs Mojave - Accurate video?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD

This is a better comparison by someone infinitely more knowledgeable.
Yeah, he says the Mojave is 4.10 gears only and the Rubi you can get 3.73x LOL
Only get 3.73 if it is a DIESEL Rubi. His statement is misleading at best.

And saying the 4:1 is not necessary in the Rubi with the current automatic transmission? Is this guy for real??

he says no rear locker in 4-hi for the Rubi. This is also wrong.

I wouldnā€™t trust this guy for anything. With his mistakes in very simple facts, he is nothing more than a car salesman.
Sponsored

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst

This is a better comparison by someone infinitely more knowledgeable.
He does pretty nice videos, but Iā€™ve seen this one before and each and every time I watch it my ears bleed at around 2:40 where he says that the hood helps with cooling. Thatā€™s a FALSE, as far as I can substantiate, as the hood is purely esthetic. Itā€™s such a shame that he makes such an obvious mistake considering he actually opened the hood. If however, he means that itā€™s taller and allows a greater amount of air circulation, weā€™ll, I guess and maybe, but Iā€™ve not heard from anyone else that is a thing and all reference to cooling have been confined to the cooling system and wider grill slats on all glads and not a nonfunctional cold air intake. Otherwise, it seems a good video.

Last edited:

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
He does pretty nice videos, but Iā€™ve seen this one before and each and every time I watch it my ears bleed at around 2:40 where he says that the hood helps with cooling. Thatā€™s a FALSE, as far as I can substantiate, as the hood is purely esthetic. Itā€™s such a shame that he makes such an obvious mistake considering he actually opened the hood. If however, he means that itā€™s taller and allows a greater amount of air circulation, weā€™ll, I guess and maybe, but Iā€™ve not heard from anyone else that is a thing and all reference to cooling have been confined to the cooling system and wider grill slats on all glads and not a nonfunctional cold air intake. Otherwise, it seems a good video.
I assumed that was what he meant.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
Yeah, he says the Mojave is 4.10 gears only and the Rubi you can get 3.73x LOL
Only get 3.73 if it is a DIESEL Rubi. His statement is misleading at best.

And saying the 4:1 is not necessary in the Rubi with the current automatic transmission? Is this guy for real??

he says no rear locker in 4-hi for the Rubi. This is also wrong.

I wouldnā€™t trust this guy for anything. With his mistakes in very simple facts, he is nothing more than a car salesman.
Judging by the vehicles they build Iā€™d trust him. I didnā€™t know the JT Rubicon only came with 4.10ā€™s. My JK rubi had 3.73 gears in it stock.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Yea, but he should cut back just a little on the Starbucks before he starts talking...:)

Sponsored

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
This astounds me. It feels pretty much like when someone says something like, "Well, 100 more horsepower is nice, but completely not necessary..." except more horsepower often comes with some bigger downsides. I've owned both transfer cases in the past. There were times I wished for the shorter gearing while crawling. I never once said to myself, "Damn, I wish this 4:1 t-case had taller gearing". That's what 4-hi is for. Or 4-low 5th or 6th gear, lol.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What we really need are about 23 more threads on Mojave vs. Rubicon.

Rubicon pro: You can get the diesel engine. 60% more torque and 30% more MPG is a game changer.

Mojave pros: Reinforced frame, the only trim ever offered with less than +44.45mm offset wheels, taller ride height than Rubicon, better suspension than Rubicon, better low range ratio than Rubicon for 98% of use cases, can use the locker in 2 High, etc. etc.

If I was dead set on the gas engine, it's a no brainer. Mojave six days a week and twice on Sunday.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
For me it came down to I like rock crawling so front locker, 4:1, and sway bar discos come in handy. And I like the red accents better than orange. I'd prefer a diesel, but no manual with that option, so non-factor. I still don't understand why people prefer the taller t-case, but I digress.

Montana_Wildcat

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ram Power Wagon
Occupation
#BBN #RaiderNation
Trying to decide between the two. Identical pricing. I don't see us doing much in the way of rock crawling. So leaning toward Mojave.
This is exactly where I was three months ago. I absolutely LOVE my Mojave. Perfect choice for me. If you are not doing slow-speed crawling, you will better appreciate the suspension and better seats. BTW, the Mojave can do 95% of what a Rubi can do out of the box and you'll be more comfortable doing it.

Sponsored

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Analyst
I assumed that was what he meant.
I havenā€™t found a single video discussing the Mojave that was perfect, so I try to keep that in perspective when critiquing any. Still, this guy clearly states that he / his business builds Jeep. So, itā€™s at that point he qualifies himself as a paid expert, thus those things that he says that are statements of fact should be supportable by chapter and verse. However, I just wanted to call this out for the unsuspecting Mojave buyer taking that reference to mean that the nonfunctional hood vent (which is the same hood that is functional in a 392 cold air intake) is purely aesthetics at this point. As for heat dispersal or flow or whatever, letā€™s keep in mind that Jeep isnā€™t attempting to make this an a finned air cooled motor and even if the tiniest bit more under hood space could likely help keep things cool, it likely shouldnā€™t been spoken to as a benefit until we have data. However, as for looking super cool, yeah, we can all see that.

ā€¦Just looking out for future buyers trying to take it all in.

Last edited:

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
I havenā€™t found a single video discussing the Mojave that was perfect, so I try to keep that in perspective when critiquing any. Still, this guy clearly states that he / his business builds Jeep. So, itā€™s at that point he qualifies himself as a paid expert, thus those things that he says that are statements of fact should be supportable by chapter and verse. However, I just wanted to call this out for the unsuspecting Mojave buyer taking that reference to mean that the nonfunctional hood vent (which is the same hood that is functional in a 392 cold air intake) is purely aesthetics at this point. As for heat dispersal or flow or whatever, letā€™s keep in mind that Jeep isnā€™t attempting to make this an a finned air cooled motor and even if the tiniest bit more under hood space could likely help keep things cool, it likely shouldnā€™t been spoken to as a benefit until we have data. However, as for looking super cool, yeah, we can all see that.

ā€¦Just looking out for future buyers trying to take it all in.
Iā€™m not sure but my Mojave came with heavy duty engine cooling. Iā€™ve never seen it get hot even in our 100+ degree summers in NorCal. That being said the Exodus dude should have been careful about what he put out on the web. I do like the builds they have done though.

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Analyst
Iā€™m not sure but my Mojave came with heavy duty engine cooling. Iā€™ve never seen it get hot even in our 100+ degree summers in NorCal. That being said the Exodus dude should have been careful about what he put out on the web. I do like the builds they have done though.
Agreed! As I recall, the Mojave came with a larger fan. Iā€™ve never specked it and compared against other glads myself, but a bigger fan would no doubt pull more air through the radiator and Tran cooler.

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Analyst
Perhaps, we should
Trying to decide between the two.
I donā€™t even think weā€™ve gotten to what colors look good against the dueling orange or red trim colors.

ā€¦And GO!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
2. The strengthened frame is never explained so itā€™s a guess on what it means.
3. The stronger knuckles are a non factor to me.
Mojave gets:

- Heavy duty coils front and rear
- Heavy duty unique shocks front and rear with reservoirs
- Reinforced frame from the middle section below the cab to just beyond the rear axle
- Stronger front coil towers
- Stronger front shock towers
- Stronger front anti-sway bar
- Additional skid plate under the front bumper
- Cast iron steering knuckle vs. aluminum
- Unique front upper control arms

It's quite a large improvement considering it's the same price as a Rubicon and only lacks a front locker and a 4:1 low range which 99% of people don't care about.

From what I understand, diesel models receive the same reinforcements to the frame as the Mojave, including cast knuckles - but I may be mistaken there - and if I am not the diesel components are heavier and warrant it so it may or may not be a wash anyways.
I just went out and checked my EcoDiesel. I will post two pictures and we'll need somebody here to look at their Sport Pentastar in these same areas of the frame and let us know if it looks the same or not.

The first picture is on the frame directly under the driver side rear door. Second picture is the frame driver side just behind the coil spring. You can see obvious welding in these areas, and it is between these two areas where the Mojave frame is reinforced. So, is my diesel frame reinforced too? Or do all JTs look like this?

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon vs Mojave - Accurate video? 20211028_124606

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon vs Mojave - Accurate video? 20211028_124538
Sponsored