First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Inspector
What's funny is, a tandem axle trailer with a WD hitch will probably tow better than you set up.

Your rig a rubi? I agree soft spring rears probably not the best.
Mojave. I am probably comparing to the Ram 1500 i traded for it, which isn't fair, but it was windy and the rig has no aerodynamics... we need a larger fuel tank and low rpm torque. Traveling 50 miles at 4k rpm sucked... but i still love my truck!!
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
That's why we have a propane powered generator, among other things.

I have my arithmetic well in order.

I am not a big fan of hauling a generator and fuel in the trailer. A generator and a couple of Jerry cans and there is another 200#. Don’t forget the tongue weight gets deducted from the payload which if you are hauling a 6000# trailer is another 600 pounds. So, out of your say 1200# payload you are at 400.... marry a small wife, and don’t take your Newfoundland.....:CWL: leave the kids at home.

bobjohnson26

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Grey JT
I have the Sport S Max Tow with the 2" Mopar lift, 35" tires and side steps. This deducts from my overall payload - but well worth it. We pull a 23' Airstream Flying Cloud - tongue weight is around 680 lbs and trailer is around 6200 loaded for camping. Pulled it 2300 miles from eastern PA to Destin, FL. It pulled great. Weighed it on the CAT scale on the way down - we were over on payload by 180 lbs (6430 vs 6250) but under weight on both axles. Moved some items from the bed to the trailer. Oil temp, transmission temp, etc all well in range - - even on a constant incline we hit. It is a great combination.

trailer.jpg

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The truck can certainly handle it but how often do you want to stop?
that is the rub when towing with a midsized truck that only has an 18 gallon tank and the aerodynamics of a lego block. I get 16-17 without the trailer and about 8 with (doing 70 or so). Doing 60-65 on flatter ground improves that a little but running the speed limit with the flow of traffic definitely leaves the truck hunting gears and mostly running 5th. Basically, on the trip we’re on right now, St. Louis to Dallas we got 8 mpg and about 150-160 miles between stops. It would definitely benefit from a larger tank but adding another 10 gallons(28 total) would also mean about 80 lbs less payload although I would happily work with that.

Sponsored

rm1515

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Yep. The bags take most of the weight. But i felt good with them inflated to 20-30..the ride wasnt super rigid. The less inflated bags let the sumo springs sit just barely above my rear contact points with the TT attached. So the sumos can do their job by controlling the bounce of the trailer if there is any
Which bags did you get?

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I ended up returning my air bags, as I didn't want to deal with the hassle of maintenance, installing etc. Installed the sumosprings, mine touch once my TT is loaded up. Definitely was a better ride.

Reactions: KVJ

Sponsored

White Jeep

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2 door Sport S
I used Firestone Air Bags. They a specific set for Gladiator. Bob

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Danielspivey and xjaddiction summed it up perfectly. They just told you everything that I learned about towing by spending HOURS on the internet.
🙄 obviously Kstine doesn’t know me or my experience.

I’ve spent 20 years towing with diesel (including Military trucks) and gas trucks up to 14,000lbs. I’ve towed 6500lbs with the Max Tow, properly weighted car trailer with 1995 YJ, no trailer brakes, no WD, no anti sway (I don’t recommend but the JT did just fine at 65mph.

So I do have experience towing with a lot of different vehicles and with the JT.

Personally I would stay around 5500- 6000 lbs trailer weight, WD hitch with anti sway, double axle trailer.

SteveA

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xxxx
Occupation
Unemployed
OP, I have a '21 Rubi Eco, brake controller, Airlift 1000 airbags, Anderson WDH (and a 12000 winch) purchased to pull a 179 Rpod and it does it without drama, 3500lbs loaded. A buddy has a Lance TT 1995 and as a test I gave it a pull, not a bunch different than the Rpod at dry weight 390 tongue, 4200 dry but what a nice step up in quality (upgrade the interior). I believe his trailer is 5500lbs loaded. What's really nice about the Lance is how well they tow, very low profile which is big when the TV is closer to max. Gallery - Lance 1995 Travel Trailer - The 1685's bigger brother features walk around queen bed. (lancecamper.com)
lance 1995 pictures - Bing images

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
OP, I have a '21 Rubi Eco, brake controller, Airlift 1000 airbags, Anderson WDH (and a 12000 winch) purchased to pull a 179 Rpod and it does it without drama, 3500lbs loaded. A buddy has a Lance TT 1995 and as a test I gave it a pull, not a bunch different than the Rpod at dry weight 390 tongue, 4200 dry but what a nice step up in quality (upgrade the interior). I believe his trailer is 5500lbs loaded. What's really nice about the Lance is how well they tow, very low profile which is big when the TV is closer to max. Gallery - Lance 1995 Travel Trailer - The 1685's bigger brother features walk around queen bed. (lancecamper.com)
lance 1995 pictures - Bing images
what kind of highway mileage are you getting pulling with the eco diesel on average?
My 3.6 goes from 16 or so average running around town to about 8 or 9 towing. Trying to decide if the eco diesel would be a wise choice to better pull the camper 5-6 times a year. I know there are a lot of other factors but is towing dropping the mileage by half?
Sponsored