Sponsored

Service DEF system see dealer warning message

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
Frozen DEF......are you kidding me! Why the hell would they use something that freezes and not put a mandatory heater/warmer on the system? What temp does it freeze at? Is there anything that can be added to keep it from freezing?
12 degrees Fahrenheit and -11 degrees Celsius
Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I'm having the same warning message currently. Seems to only happen in 4-low. First time taking it offroad on a super casual trail and the message popped up within 100 yrds. turned right back around and parked it. The code came right back after trying to clear it in the parking lot. After driving the 70 miles home I was able to clear it and all was fine.

I assumed low def was causing the issue, so added 2.5 gal since dealer didnt fill at delivery.

Took it off road again this weekend. About an hour in on easy-moderate trails, came right back. Took back to parking lot, parked and rode shotgun for the rest of the day.

This time i'm getting the engine shutdown notification, and absolutely terrible fuel economy. I've only got 50 miles left until engine will not restart, and dealer is 30 miles away. Earliest they can get me in is wednesday, so i'm stuck borrowing the wifes vehicle.

Really sucks on a vehicle with under 2k miles on it. I absolutely love the diesel, but if it cant go offroad then I made a serious mistake.
Hey, hazzardsky. Have you visited the dealership for this concern yet? Let us know if you need any further assistance by sending a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

hazzardsky

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon, 17 JK Recon
So I managed to get to the dealer. Diagnostics were quick, and I was told on of the DEF sensors is bad, and a new DEF tank is required since it is not serviceable.

Have to go through some hoops to get everything squared away, but in the mean time codes were cleared and truck is running fine until the next time i put it in 4-low

Last edited:
OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
So I managed to get to the dealer. Diagnostics were quick, and I was told on of the DEF sensors is bad, and a new DEF tank is required since it is not serviceable.

Have to go through some hoops to get everything squared away, but in the mean time codes were cleared and truck is running fine until the next time i put it in 4-low
My light came back on yesterday, gona call dealer on Monday if it doesn't go out before then

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
When these things were first announced I warned people of Tier IV emissions controls, I suppose some people listened, but I see others are learning the hard way.

They can't make this shit work when it's brand new, get ready for what's coming in the extended term.

Live in a commie state where this junk can't be stripped off and the engine tuned? Then my advice is get out of them now, or prepare for a miserable ownership experience.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Oh noze teh Sky is falling.
Faulty parts happen, aggravating yes but they will get it fixed.

Last edited:

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Not seeing many complaints the diesel on the Wrangler sister site either. A few lights due to air, freezing or faulty parts. Seems like that stuff can get worked out. I’m in Texas and no deleting in my county. So I’m watching closely fortunately days below 20 are rare so the freezing shouldn’t be an issue.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Had it checked out at dealer today.....they claim everything checked out ok. Resetting the CEL and going about my business. Guess I'll have to wait for it to happen again

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
10ish miles down the road and bam....CEL back on

Eus085351

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecodiesel Willys Gladiator
I also had the CEL come on for DEF. This was the 2nd time and I took it into the dealer and they are replacing the DEF pump. I will update if this doesn't fix the problem. 2,300 miles.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
the more frustrating part is the dealer "doesn't have a loaner", so i couldn't just turn around and take it back, have to wait for them to call me when they get their loaner back when ever the hell that will be. i swear jeep dealers in central iowa are the worst.

Gmac03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys D
Mine just came on today, same message, 1500 miles. Temps have been between single digits and the teens over the past week.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Dealer finally got me a loaner so mine is back in the shop. They called and said one of the def heaters was bad. Gonna take a few days to get the part so will hopefully get it back in a few days
Sponsored