Shifting into 4H

roadkilltx

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Ok, talked my wife into trading her beloved Cherokee Overland last night. "She" got a black Sport S. I was playing this morning and shifted into 4 wheel drive. Man, it was stiff. Will that loosen up or am I just getting really old?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, talked my wife into trading her beloved Cherokee Overland last night. "She" got a black Sport S. I was playing this morning and shifted into 4 wheel drive. Man, it was stiff. Will that loosen up or am I just getting really old?
It will loosen up over time. What I found easier for me was to be rolling forward at about 2mph when shifting into 4H. After a few times it got easier, and I can now do it while stopped.

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
My shifter is hard to move too compared to my old jk. Glad it's not just me.

Sponsored

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I shifted mine into 4H for the first time at a stand still. I was almost to the point of stopping so I didn’t break anything before it finally went into 4H. I put it back into 2H and then tried same barely creeping forward and it slid right in with an expected amount of effort. Manual recommends slowly moving forward to shift in and out of 4H but nice to know it does loosen up a bit over time.

Cobraj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
computer field service
Same issue, was afraid I would break it, works better, but will for sure move it back and forth more to loosen it up

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Mine has gotten easier, especially after this past winter. Lots of shifting in and out of 4hi.

As far as 4lo, decades of owning a TJ, and then a JK, all with the same process. For those new Jeeps, It will become a natural thing finding little hump or dip as you start at a trail head. Easy to keep it rolling as you shift tranny to Neutral and pull the TC back into 4lo. They've all grinded just a little bit.

Deleted member 30519

I've had the hardest time shifting into 4L with my 6spd JT but 4H is a breeze. Should I take it in to get it looked at? A couple of times it took me over a minute to finally get it in 4L.

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
My 4h is so loose sometimes I pop it back into 2 with my knee!!!!!

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Both.

;)

it’ll get better with some use

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
By now you’ve used the transfer case a bit and it’s past a break-in period, drain out the fluid and upgrade to a full synthetic. I did and shifting into 4H and Lo is much easier.

DukeJeep

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Toyota FJ
mine was the same, but I use it somewhat frequently where I live / drive and now it shifts smoothly at a stop through 25 mph. No issues with it popping back out - it simply works as it should.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
By now you’ve used the transfer case a bit and it’s past a break-in period, drain out the fluid and upgrade to a full synthetic. I did and shifting into 4H and Lo is much easier.
What synthetic did you use?
Sponsored