First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I’ll like to drive fast especially on dirt. Guess what I went with? Plus the seats, hood, colors, and steering wheel are nicer on the MOJAVE. And as far as the diesel rubicon goes see how many people are having either bottoming out issues or overheating. Plus I have an ARB rd245 front locker waiting to be installed.
Sponsored

19Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built JKUR to an F150 FX4, to my 2022 Mojave!
You’re absolutely right, I need to just wait until I can test drive a Mojave. There’s just none in my area at the moment. I would have to take a weekend and drive up to Austin possibly.
It'll be worth it Find some rough roads and railroad tracks. Set the cruise and hit them a little bit to fast. Do it exactly the same in both models.

OP
OP

JTmaybeTX

First Name
A-Mart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Op @JTmaybeTX ,

The real question is do you plan to add a lift to this truck?

If you do or are unsure go with a rubi or max tow. Otherwise you will feel bad for ditching the shocks on the Mojave or will compromise with a lift to work with them.

I have a Mojave and it is perfect for me stock, ymmv. I live in South/ Central Tx.
I’m pretty much looking to keep things stocK, as the clearance and capability on both already far exceed my current truck’s.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Fast and smooth? Mojave.

Slow and crawly? Rubicon.
I would add one more thing:

Diesel? Rubicon. But if you go that route, expect to have to lift the front a couple inches because they bottom out on a dime.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
@JTmaybeTX Did you expect so much infighting on two versions of the same truck? Haha. Happens every time this comes up, or if someone even mentions a max tow. I promise we all like each other deep down. We're just glad you're getting a jeep and not another Taco haha.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JTmaybeTX

First Name
A-Mart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
@JTmaybeTX Did you expect so much infighting on two versions of the same truck? Haha. I promise we all like each other deep down. We're just glad you're getting a jeep and not another Taco haha.
Haha, I definitely expected some strong opinions, so this is pretty tame. I’m glad too; I rather keep my Frontier than get into another Tacoma.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
It's a couple welds in the rear and reinforced shock mounts.. It's not a different frame or even a heavily reinforced modified frame, it's literally just extra welds and different shock/coil mounts. Perhaps this will matter if you do jumps, but the weak point is the FAD not the frame and we all have fads sadly.
Lmao I know dude. I just had to retort. All of these can be made into whatever.

OP
OP

JTmaybeTX

First Name
A-Mart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I would add one more thing:

Diesel? Rubicon. But if you go that route, expect to have to lift the front a couple inches because they bottom out on a dime.
I actually test drove a diesel Rubicon. Loved the low end torque, but I could definitely notice the extra weight. Also, the price…

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I love the idea of GFC. Almost got one for my Frontier. Speaking of mileage, what are you seeing on your Mojave, stock or otherwise?
I traveled/lived/camped in it for 3 weeks in October, 3,500 miles, no interstate. The off road and mountains killed milage of course, but that's what it's for. Fully loaded with gear I was around 15 per gallon average on that one, I was happy with that. Not great but could be worse. Was a nice little trip, stuff memories are made of.

OP
OP

JTmaybeTX

First Name
A-Mart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I traveled/lived/camped in it for 3 weeks in October, 3,500 miles, no interstate. The off road and mountains killed milage of course, but that's what it's for. Fully loaded with gear I was around 15 per gallon average on that one, I was happy with that. Not great but could be worse. Was a nice little trip, stuff memories are made of.
Sounds amazing. 15 mpg on trails is not bad at all

Sponsored

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
Diesel power For The Win

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
All the instructors at the 2020 Jeep Academy had Mojave's, lack of a front locker slowed them down NOT AT ALL. OP needs to appreciate how much more capability even a Gladiator Sport has than a normal "off-road" pickup (Ranger, Colorado, etc).

Lockers are good insurance, for sure, but 90% of that is REAR locker. I would have put a front locker on our H2 if I could possibly have justified it - never happened in >8 years.

I mean that to me answers your question. You live in the flats and have an occasional rock. What is more important to you, 360 days of more comfort in the Mojave or 5 days of more rock capability in the Rubicon. And it's not like the Mojave won't rock crawl its just the Rubicon is better.

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Mojave. It's a stronger truck,. You can get swaybar disconnects and a front locker after the fact. Can't get the Mojave's frame.
you can if you get a diesel.. :)
Sponsored