Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Since Fords are so much better than Jeeps, we really should follow what they do.
If someone at Jeep or any other company likes what Ford did. They will copy it. And if someone at Ford like what Jeep did. They will copy it. Look at the Bronco.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Thatā€™s one awesome thing about Ford. The remote start via phone app or watch app is free on all there vehicles for lifetime.

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
I really only care that the fob works. I got used to being able to check the lock status of the Jeep from far away, but that was a novelty.

I do wish that the apps that communicate with the vehicle were open sourced so we could modify it for our own use, but that won't happen any time soon.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I really only care that the fob works. I got used to being able to check the lock status of the Jeep from far away, but that was a novelty.

I do wish that the apps that communicate with the vehicle were open sourced so we could modify it for our own use, but that won't happen any time soon.
The remote access features are limited, so a different or open source app would be of no real use. There is no open access to the head unit or the truck computers, just a pre-programmed set of options to choose from. The requests have to be authenticated and pass through the FCA and SiriusXM servers, and then communicated by AT&T over the cellular network.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since Fords are so much better than Jeeps, we really should follow what they do.
Is it so hard for you to accept that in some way Fords are better. Telematics included in the price of the car is better. A direct and port injected turbo V6 with lots of hp and torque as a $1600 option, is better. A crappy plasticky creaky interior on a. $60,000 new truck is not. (Bronco)

Also, if you are referencing my comment that ford influences the industry. Well, Ford sold 4 million cars in the US last year and Jeep sold 750,000. So yes, their impact is larger.

Stelantis itself sold about 2.1 million cars. Though I can't tell if that's globally or in the US. Either way, its a lot less than Ford. GM, Toyota, Ford, and Tesla are going to be the most influential automakers. The first 3 because of their sheer size. Tesla because everyone is paying attention and its truly doing things differently and in some cases, better.

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
So there is def value here but it depends on how much itā€™s worth to you. When I used to commute into NYC I was driving a f150 with the ford pass package. In winter it was a nice luxury to start the truck 10 minutes out in winter to have it all warmed up and snow melted with a heated butt or AC on a hot summer day. The remote door locks also saved me a few times when I forgot to lock it. Seeing as I work from home now I donā€™t value this as much. Maybe I could see value for starting the truck in summer to throw the AC on to prep the car for my daughter on a hot day at the mall or store? $10 a month isnā€™t terrible for those features but itā€™s walled behind the 8.4 so Iā€™d need to upgrade. People spend more then $10 a week on coffee so itā€™s all values ya know.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Telematics included in the price of the car is better.
That's not how other countries see it about all things. We love package things here, but not in other places.
Cell phones, for example, for over 10 years, over-seas you bought your phone and chose the provider and nothing was ever connected. Here, Americans love to believe something is free. It's how Gates got so rich - all of the software was included! Well, you paid for it, the computer makes were held hostage.
I'd prefer the car be cheaper and I could choose whether or not to have that ability instead of being charged for it but never use it.

And don't compare Jeep with Ford - Ford sells sedans - show me a 2 door Jeep sedan, a Jeep that's like a Fusion, for example. You can't compare a company that has CARS, trucks and SUVs, to a company that is a niche market company like Jeep that sells no cars, only "SUVS" or rather "wagons" as that's what the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are and what Jeep called them for years.
Jeep being Jeep and targeting very specific narrow audiences also has among the lowest of all CAFE numbers, that and other reasons, they can only sell certain vehicles in Europe. Ford can sell almost anything over there.
Ironically, though, when I was in Korea and then in Israel, the most common "American brand" was Jeep. The most common brand otherwise was Toyota. Even the grossly over-crowded streets of some countries see more Jeeps than any other make. Ford was rare in those two places. Niche markets like Jeep just can't be compared to Ford. How about comparing the entire corporate structure. Even then, Ford is huge, has been around over a century, has partnered with other companies around the globe for over half a century while Jeep didn't get a start until the 1940s and then again, niche, specialty vehicles.

I don't understand why people insist on comparing apples to oranges, or figuring one sets all the standards.

Competition is good. If the others suddenly fell away, and it was only Ford...... ugh. And things would change really quickly. Competition and choice drive innovation and progress.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Itā€™s really worth it if your at home and you know the tech is under the hood and you HONK the horn! Pricelessā€¦

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Stelantis itself sold about 2.1 million cars. Though I can't tell if that's globally or in the US. Either way, its a lot less than Ford. GM, Toyota, Ford, and Tesla are going to be the most influential automakers. The first 3 because of their sheer size. Tesla because everyone is paying attention and its truly doing things differently and in some cases, better.
And VW. They sold around 9 million in 2021.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And VW. They sold around 9 million in 2021.
A big plus for VW in Europe is their love of the diesel. They fell in love with 'em, I believe it was in the 60s or so. They are still the majority in some parts of Europe (if not the whole of Europe?)
VW cheated and played the system, but still their diesel is a huge reason they sell so many cars.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Seriously, scared the CRAP out of me, because I thought it would be like the Jeep. And I hate that the Jeep cancels after two seconds, but at least it stops. The Tesla is just always on (assuming I didn't cancel manually).
Why is this relevant on a GLADIATOR forum?

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Honestly itā€™s crap anyways. It doesnā€™t work in my garage, the command takes like well over a minute to get to the truck in an open parking lot. Everything about Sirius is crap besides the ad free music and even than I have Spotify for $15 a month for a family so Iā€™ll just choose what I want to hear. It is nice having the sports stations but I donā€™t care to pay for it.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Is it so hard for you to accept that in some way Fords are better.
Not at all. I have no brand loyalties. I don't even actually own a Jeep at all right now. I might again. I've owned more Fords than Jeeps, and come from a "Ford family" and the types of people who would claim they are better. Burying the cost of remote control in the cost of a vehicle or other service doesn't make something better.

Why is this relevant on a GLADIATOR forum?
It's not.

Honestly itā€™s crap anyways. It doesnā€™t work in my garage, the command takes like well over a minute to get to the truck in an open parking lot. Everything about Sirius is crap besides the ad free music and even than I have Spotify for $15 a month for a family so Iā€™ll just choose what I want to hear. It is nice having the sports stations but I donā€™t care to pay for it.
Now that is fact! I mean, I still paid, because I wanted it to work, but it was trash. I've had three different remote control systems in various brands of vehicles; Viper, Guardian, and Tesla. I thought the Viper was annoying and slow, but Guardian sets new standards of being slow and unreliable. Tesla...instant, almost. If I tell my watch "set climate control," the response is about 3-6 seconds. This is how things should work. With the Jeep, you can't use the watch or Siri, and the app is slow/unreliable, and then when you get past that, the command can take a full minute, or just fail silently. Junk.
Sponsored