SLEEPING in a JT

OrangeTJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKUS, 05 Dodge 2500 CTD
Other than just being "trick", what is the advantage of these truck bed tent setups over a regular tent for normal camping? I see people using them but haven't seen why they are better/easier/more comfortable than a decent quick set-up tent on the ground with a tarp underneath? Seems like it requires you to take everything else out of the bed of the truck and find some other home for it when it is time to sleep. For the OP, I get it - sleeping in a parking lot or something, but for normal outdoor sleeping?
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
@OrangeTJ Gets you off the ground, less creepy crawly things. No moisture through bottom of your old tent.

I’m a hammock guy. To have to empty the bed to set up a bed tent seems terrible.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
GoFastCamper Ultralight for me. It should be here within the next week. I'm glad the truck is narrow, thats what makes it better than all other trucks for wheeling and overlanding. In my opinion.

MaximusDecimusMeridius

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Red LE, 2014 Sierra 6in lift, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have a topper ez lift and ARE shell on order

TopperEZLift_Weekender_Camper_Package.jpg

Another option to consider

uck-tent-jt-studio-rear-side-rainfly-removed-close.jpg

No way I would fit with comfort inside with all the seats removed
Canceled the ez lift system as it wasn’t going to come in time for my trip...I plan on ordering it at a later date but my topper did come in.

Jeep Gladiator SLEEPING in a JT 20210430_170831

Sponsored

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
STEALTH... as in a market parking lot... or on a side road... WAITING FOR THE TIDE TO CHANGE 😜 <which was why I was going to buy a 4 runner...but I love the Gladiator>
If that's the case, why not buy a used Ram promaster and put some fake repair company magnets on the side? Tons of "stealth camping" videos and tips on youtube

canjeep33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2019 WK2
Occupation
Education
Just got my Napier tent set-up for a dry run in my garage. I plan to use this in more remote locations and leave it at home and tow the trailer for family trips. I foresee no problem moving valuable items into the cab overnight and leaving everything else set-up around the campsite. Impressed by the room inside the tent. I also like the fact that the tent can be clipped off easy and left at the campsite like a normal tent if I need to go somewhere with the truck. Really looking forward to using it.

Jeep Gladiator SLEEPING in a JT 20210515_181518_HDR

Jeep Gladiator SLEEPING in a JT 20210515_181624_HDR

Jeep Gladiator SLEEPING in a JT 20210515_181858

Jeep Gladiator SLEEPING in a JT 20210515_182547_HDR

Deleted member 28696

Get an RSI Evo A Smartcap, get a decked drawer system and you have an instant platform for a bed, even without the drawer system you could pitch an air mattress. that would be stealth, no windows except the back one for the cap. and the side wing doors lock.

Jeep Gladiator SLEEPING in a JT SM_2021-JTR_Y3A6892

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I was able to fold the back seats and fronts down by removing the head rest from the front and back. Then I placed wedge pillows in the front seats to level them off. Then I just used normal pillows and rolled up towels to fill in gaps. (No building) This allowed me to stuff a 2” queen inflatable camping pad into the cab. If you are shorter than 6 foot you should be able to sleep straight otherwise you my need to sleep diagonally. Since I am 5’10”, I was able to just set up the passenger side for sleeping.

This photo shows the whole cab converted to sleep area.
Jeep Gladiator SLEEPING in a JT 6C12563B-0A15-42FB-A876-C15DAA5ADE9F

kb5zcr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Diesel Rubi Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I was able to fold the back seats and fronts down by removing the head rest from the front and back. Then I placed wedge pillows in the front seats to level them off. Then I just used normal pillows and rolled up towels to fill in gaps. (No building) This allowed me to stuff a 2” queen inflatable camping pad into the cab. If you are shorter than 6 foot you should be able to sleep straight otherwise you my need to sleep diagonally. Since I am 5’10”, I was able to just set up the passenger side for sleeping.

This photo shows the whole cab converted to sleep area.
Jeep Gladiator SLEEPING in a JT 6C12563B-0A15-42FB-A876-C15DAA5ADE9F
Can you please post a photo in the daylight so we can see how this works?
I'm interested in this.

Thanks

Sponsored

kb5zcr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Diesel Rubi Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Wow, this is cool. Do you have any idea how long that sleeping area is when your in it.
I'm 5' 10", could someone like me sleep simi-comfortable?
I have a glad on order and thinking of ideas.

Thanks,

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
HERE is my current setup...THANKS for all the great replies!! HAPPY OVERNIGHTING! 👍🍺

Jeep Gladiator SLEEPING in a JT IMG_4394
Nice, Congrats. Suggestion, 2 pc. plywood on hinges o extend the little bit of tent overhang. Nice!!!

BigG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Papermaker
I would remove the rear seat and the passenger front and build a plywood platform as close to the floor as possible. More stealthy if you’re out of site down low and more room for your feet under the dash.

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Wow, this is cool. Do you have any idea how long that sleeping area is when your in it.
I'm 5' 10", could someone like me sleep simi-comfortable?
I have a glad on order and thinking of ideas.

Thanks,
I have a 2” sleeping pad I put on top the foam.
I’m 5’ 10” and I can sleep with my legs straight. I sleep with my head to front of the truck.
Sponsored