Sponsored

So how many of you use the manual shifter on the automatic?

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
On steep or long hills all the time. Around town it's the first auto I just set it and forget it. Had plenty of manu-auto shifters even on basic cars that I always use.

Also offroading. But normal DD no.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Living in the PNW where roads are rarely flat I use the shifter all the time to save the brakes on long and or steep hills.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I’ve only used it on the beach in deep sand to keep wheel speed up and on a curvy mountain road playing around. Nice option to have and it works pretty well, for what it is, but I don’t use it in normal driving.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I use mine on windy and steep inclines where the auto can't decide if I should be in 2nd or 3rd.

Last edited:

Sponsored

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
I assume those are pretty long or steep hills - here, I hit the brakes moderately for a second or two and let up and mine downshifts a couple of gears and applies engine braking.
I've not yet used the manual mode really - but might if I were towing a load.

The thing I hate about the manual mode is that it's BACKWARDS. You push the lever forward to upshift on other vehicles, but the Jeep you pull it back. That's just backwards.
My 73 you run through the gears by starting with the floor shift all the way back, run it forward to upshift, pull BACK to DOWNshift.

Forward is up, backward is down - why did Jeep do it backwards?
100% agree! Backasswards! Very frustrating...

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
I see it going both ways. When shifting a 4 speed, you "pull" it from 1st to 2nd (up shift) you now "push" it from 2nd to 3rd (up shift), you now "pull" it from 3rd to 4th (up shift).
I use it when putting around, I keep it in 2nd, keeps the trans from sometimes going into 3rd and then almost immediately back to 2nd.
In a high performance vehicle with a sequential gearbox, there is an actual lever that the driver either pushes forward or pulls back to shift up or shift down. Pretty sure it's driver preference on the push or pull up/down shifting. Don't know for sure, never drove one.

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
I let the auto shift up through the gears and downshift manually about 90% of the time.

Seems like the thing to.

Gr8ful

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland 2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Occupation
Professionally unemployed
I do manually down shift when I feel the 8 speed trans is lugging the engine. Also when I want more responsiveness.
I wanted a manual trans but none available in the configuration I wanted when I was ready to buy. I do miss the 3 pedals.

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I use it every once in a while (yesterday) to pretend my JT is a sports car. With the ZF 8 tranny, it sure feels like one... :clap:

The thing I hate about the manual mode is that it's BACKWARDS. You push the lever forward to upshift on other vehicles, but the Jeep you pull it back. That's just backwards.
My 73 you run through the gears by starting with the floor shift all the way back, run it forward to upshift, pull BACK to DOWNshift.

I see it going both ways. When shifting a 4 speed, you "pull" it from 1st to 2nd (up shift) you now "push" it from 2nd to 3rd (up shift), you now "pull" it from 3rd to 4th (up shift).
I use it when putting around, I keep it in 2nd, keeps the trans from sometimes going into 3rd and then almost immediately back to 2nd.
In a high performance vehicle with a sequential gearbox, there is an actual lever that the driver either pushes forward or pulls back to shift up or shift down. Pretty sure it's driver preference on the push or pull up/down shifting. Don't know for sure, never drove one.
I'm biased to prefer it the way it is. It's the same orientation in my BMW, which also uses the ZF gearboxes.

Sponsored

Horde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I use it when hauling a load.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Really want the manual but it has no towing capacity and the clutch was designed for limp leg weenies. I will probably get the manual anyway. Having fluid connect the engine to the gearbox is wrong.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I assume those are pretty long or steep hills - here, I hit the brakes moderately for a second or two and let up and mine downshifts a couple of gears and applies engine braking.
I've not yet used the manual mode really - but might if I were towing a load.

People pay a lot of money to get reverse linkage like that in drag car transmissions

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Same as many have said here, down hills for better engine braking and sometimes to hold a gear going up.