Sponsored

So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted.

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Well the Rubicon comes with some pretty substantial skids but not near enough really. It will get you through a few bumps and scrapes and probably get you home but it will not hold up to too much beating.

I wheeled one day with a group and banged her a good few times. The upside ? The factory rock rails are surprising strong and took a lot of hits with minimal damage. The downside? Tranny and oil pan are unprotected and took some mild dingers, enough to know it's a bad day waiting to happen. There is an exposed crossover pipe for the exhaust exposed too that got a dent in it, not bad but it could of been a lot worse.

I'm riding on 35's with really no lift just some spacers over the the front coils to eliminate the rake and the weight of a steel bumper and winch.

I ordered the Rockhard full belly pan skid and front and rear LCA skids and rear shock mount skids along with the Rancho front and rear diff sliders. That should be pretty good protection from what I can tell.
Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Well the Rubicon comes with some pretty substantial skids but not near enough really. It will get you through a few bumps and scrapes and probably get you home but it will not hold up to too much beating.

I wheeled one day with a group and banged her a good few times. The upside ? The factory rock rails are surprising strong and took a lot of hits with minimal damage. The downside? Tranny and oil pan are unprotected and took some mild dingers, enough to know it's a bad day waiting to happen. There is an exposed crossover pipe for the exhaust exposed too that got a dent in it, not bad but it could of been a lot worse.

I'm riding on 35's with really no lift just some spacers over the the front coils to eliminate the rake and the weight of a steel bumper and winch.

I ordered the Rockhard full belly pan skid and front and rear LCA skids and rear shock mount skids along with the Rancho front and rear diff sliders. That should be pretty good protection from what I can tell.
The exhaust crossover was the first danger that appeared to me when I peeked under the Jeep for the first time. Only a matter of time...

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
In everyone’s opinion what are the minimum skid plates needed for moderate trails with no lift?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
In everyone’s opinion what are the minimum skid plates needed for moderate trails with no lift?
With a Rubicon JT, on moderate trails, I am mostly concerned about the rear bumper and hitch and the front of the rear control arms...., so, I would say the Skidmark for the rear bumper and Rusty's rear control arm skids.... would be a good minimum.

Note: I just finished my Metalcloak front diff. cover. Here are pics of the bowling ball and diff skids, control arm skids, shock skids... Here is all the beef...

Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. don2YZ

Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. HGLXNi

Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. EbUvx2

Last edited:

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Just filling my cart on 4 whl parts I racked up over a thousand dollars but compared to a cracked tranny or oil pan seems like a bargain

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
i'm getting a 3d printer hopefully soon so i'll just 3d print some skid plates. Its a small printer so its going to take awhile.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
Minor engineering error on Rusty’s part. Even with the minor misplaced hole, they are the only option on the market.
So he's selling these knowing the hole doesn't align?

I was just looking into these but am now not so sure.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
My 12th skid is installed - RockHard FAD. Note: I had to loosen the front RockHard control arm skid and move the tabs to a more favorable rotation for the RockHard FAD to wiggle in. Here are some pics of the installation. Seems like a good setup for the front control arm and FAD.

PVIEwS.jpg

9Q0aSo.jpg

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Im on 37s with a 2-1/2" lift plus 3/4" spacers on the front. It scrapes quite a bit. More than I would like. I am waiting for Rock Krawlers 5-1/2" triple and quadruple rate springs.

IMG_0695[1].JPG
Sponsored