Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Still find it interesting that over 95% of the thread is Max Tow and Rubicon.....

But the point and the fun is seeing WHAT people are towing - some of the neat boats, interesting campers and other trailers. A versatile group of things being towed indicates a fairly diverse group of those doing the towING.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Towed my 30 foot camper this weekend for 600 miles got 15.3 mpg. Held 7th on most hills

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I'll tell you I'm not towng this anymore. Turd box diesel wouldn't go over 60 mph without going into limp mode because it's overheating(undetermined throttle body check engine light). Upper 80s outside. Michigan hills not mountains.

Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? 20210704_180556

Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? 20210704_144023

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll tell you I'm not towng this anymore. Turd box diesel wouldn't go over 60 mph without going into lymph mode because it's overheating. Upper 80s outside. Michigan hills not mountains.

Where does it show over-heating?
My gasser was running 230 degrees coming down hill from CO back to IA
and a diesel JT owner said towing in the hills his was doing 240.
Still not way too hot really. Boiling point of the coolant under even only 14 pounds of pressure is still up well over 260 degrees.

219 is LOW temperature for diesel, even for gas.
240 oil temp is up there but still away from the 260-275 magic numbers (depending on oil, some break down at 260, some over 275)

It should be fine running 230-240 degrees coolant.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Still not way too hot really. Boiling point of the coolant under even only 14 pounds of pressure is still up well over 260 degrees.

240 oil temp is up there but still away from the 260-275 magic numbers (depending on oil, some break down at 260, some over 275)

None of the gauges at even to the halfway tick as you can see in the pic.

None of the temps were even to the halfway tick point. But either way it derated and I couldn't do 60 mph.

Screenshot_20210706-151152_Gallery.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If that 219 is accurate, and no reason to believe it is not, it wasn't anywhere close to overheating. It's got another issue, but it wasn't heat. If others can run 230, even 240, with no error, that's not it. 219 is easily normal, even on the lower side of normal in hot weather.
My Comanche used to run 220 on a 90 degree day just going up I35 at 65 mph.

My bet - you can scratch over-heating off your list of problems it has........ it may THINK it is, but the gauge says no, it's not.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
I'll tell you I'm not towng this anymore. Turd box diesel wouldn't go over 60 mph without going into limp mode because it's overheating(undetermined throttle body check engine light). Upper 80s outside. Michigan hills not mountains.

Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? Screenshot_20210706-151152_Gallery

How much does that old Avion weigh. Cool trailer.

Sponsored

Batts65

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
auto claims
Forest River e-pro e20bhs. Bunkhouse edition has 2 small bunks in back corner with an easy access toy/gear door. You can lift the bottom bunk up and stow bikes, gear or whatever. We converted the bottom bunk to a kennel for our doggo.

The trailer is about 4k lbs I would guess loaded up fora trip. I tow using an Anderson style hitch on my diesel rubi.

Fully loaded, in hot weather, climbing and descending lots of hills (my area of Texas is quite hilly), on windy days, I get about 12 MPG on average. 14-16MPG with a mix of hills and flat highways. 16-18 mpg in cool weather on flat highways with low wind.

Not as good as I had hopped for, but really, it's not too bad considering.

Low end torque on the diesel makes getting up and going a breeze. I barely notice the trailer. On steep hills doing 60-65mph, especially on hot days, I tend to manually shift to stay in a lower gear. Wish jeep had a tow-mode.

On an especially hot day (around 99 with a heat index of 110), I lost power towing up and down hills after hitting stop and go traffic near Austin. I've read of other reports of similar issues. I took it in and they found no codes. My "fix" is to simply take it easy on hot days under heavy loads. I've towed without issues on almost as hot days without issue since. But, if it does happen again, I'm considering buying an aftermarket hood with real ram air/heat vents to see if that helps. Not worried about it now though.

Overall, I still love the truck. I have 35" nitto ridge grapplers and will buy a lift as soon as I find a reasonably priced, non-mopar, diesel specific lift.

For those who are curious.. we payed around $24k for the trailer a month or two into covid. The truck was close to $70k out the door (fully loaded minus adaptive cruise control stuff). We take it out camping and for family visits at least twice a month. We lived in it during Texas's power outage and ice storm and was grateful to have it!

We are now planning a multi-week trip through Colorado, Utah, up to Idaho (and Canada if it's open then). I'm a little nervous about such a long wheelbase on some of the trails I want to do but that's part of the fun. I came from an FJ Cruiser that was a little tippy on the rocks, so this should be an upgrade.
how big is the door to the bottom bunk?? I am seeing these online but never in person. I want to be able to put 2 mountain bikes in there, I know I would have to take the front wheel of, but still not sure if they will fit?

PeterGriffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
(re)tired...!
If you're in the market for a new trailer (or used for that matter) you've likely noticed either a (1) dearth of inventory, (2) insane prices or (3) both. Nonetheless I'm currently waiting on delivery of a trailer so I can properly trailer my Can Am Maverick X3 Max...

https://www.alumaklm.com/aluma-es

JMns3B7h.jpg

Once I get the trailer for this behemoth I'll be stylin' and profilin' in a manner quite similar to the cover of the owner's manual! Right model (Mojave) wrong color, mine's white!

2FEyjfmh.jpg

The X3 can go anywhere my Mojave can, just WAY faster, but this time of year in SW AZ, the buggy doesn't come out near as often as the wintertime since our daytime high temps are well into the 110s+ and getting hotter!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you're in the market for a new trailer (or used for that matter) you've likely noticed either a (1) dearth of inventory, (2) insane prices or (3) both. Nonetheless I'm currently waiting on delivery of a trailer so I can properly trailer my Can Am Maverick X3 Max...

https://www.alumaklm.com/aluma-es

Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? 2FEyjfmh

Once I get the trailer for this behemoth I'll be stylin' and profilin' in a manner quite similar to the cover of the owner's manual! Right model (Mojave) wrong color, mine's white!

Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? 2FEyjfmh

The X3 can go anywhere my Mojave can, just WAY faster, but this time of year in SW AZ, the buggy doesn't come out near as often as the wintertime since our daytime high temps are well into the 110s+ and getting hotter!
So you are suggesting I was wise to buy my trailer when I bought my truck?

There were no real sales, some dealers would wiggle a bit, others not, and they were in stock, in fact local dealers had big inventory of almost everything Aluma made when I bought this. They gave me really good trade on my PJ.

Tilt bed - 18'
Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? 20210706_142409_HDR

yolo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon (Diesel)
Occupation
Software Engineer
how big is the door to the bottom bunk?? I am seeing these online but never in person. I want to be able to put 2 mountain bikes in there, I know I would have to take the front wheel of, but still not sure if they will fit?
Mine came with a bike rack upfront (I took it off), but you could fit two mountain bikes in the storage area if you took off the wheels. I snapped a pic to give you an idea. I have some stuff in the storage area, and the bike is not pushed in all the way either.

Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? IMG_1833
Sponsored