Spare Tire Delete

mtpilatus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone going with bigger tires take the spare wheel/tire off? Going to 35" tires and thinking about just taking the spare off. I know a 35 will fit in the space, but could save a little money by not buying a 5th tire.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Since i'm rolling on 37's, and being brand new, it has roadside assistance for the next 3 years, I'm thinking about snatching the 33 out from under mine, as well.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
I ran without a spare on the truck for a while, but I always had a full size spare sitting at the shop in the event I needed it(on a steel wheel as my tires are directional and wouldn't benefit from a 5 tire rotation.) When we would drive far or go wheeling I would always toss it in the back.

I now have my spare hanging from a Road Armor rack. Due to decreased visibility I may still leave it at home/shop for my daily commute

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
Visibility is overrated! Take the top off then you get loads of visibility
LOL :beer:

With the spare hanging there and the top off I still see nothing out the back. Fortunately with the Tazer and the camera on feature when using the turn signal the mirror isn't really needed. It will however take a while before I stop looking at it and wondering why I can't see shit.
Jeep Gladiator Spare Tire Delete Spare

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If you have roadside and are always around it, you can just remove the spare but leaving a spare off is just one of those things I can't really fathom. I've rarely needed it but the few times I have, I've really needed it.

Right now I'm planning on the Wilco rail mount and sticking it behind the cab if it becomes a clearance issue under the truck.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Has it been a clearance issue for anyone. I looked at it and it seems like it's in a decent spot.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I s till have the stock wheels but only because custom offsets hasn't sent me the new ones yet. I went ahead & ordered a matching 5th. I thought about going without it since I also have roadside assistance (in duplicate even) but if I am off the beaten path I dont really want to wait for it. Plus to be outside of cell range is a regular occurrence. So needless to say I have a matching 5th to put underneath. The cost saving isnt worth having to wait for roadside assistance or walk out of the woods if I am out hunting.

Sponsored

bluedevil1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 F250 Diesel
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
LOL :beer:

With the spare hanging there and the top off I still see nothing out the back. Fortunately with the Tazer and the camera on feature when using the turn signal the mirror isn't really needed. It will however take a while before I stop looking at it and wondering why I can't see shit.
Jeep Gladiator Spare Tire Delete Spare

I stand corrected...taking the top off won't help you much! But THAT is f*ing awesome! I wouldn't mess with that even if it blocked out the sun!

OP
OP
mtpilatus

mtpilatus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon
Lots of advice. Was thinking of carrying plugs and small compressor when off the beaten path. Could always keep the 33 that's on the spare or get a cheap 35.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of advice. Was thinking of carrying plugs and small compressor when off the beaten path. Could always keep the 33 that's on the spare or get a cheap 35.
At the very least I would find a used 35 to mount on my spare wheel. I see mostly bald MT's here for like 100 bucks all the time. That way if you do get a flat off the beaten path you can at least get home.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I have 37's and leave the spare 37 in the garage, but will take it wheeling when the parks open up again (strapped in the bed). I leave the stock 33 under the bed as it could always be used in a pinch.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
A related question I have... Who has replaced the steel spare with a normal wheel, so it can be put into five-tire rotation instead of four? I hate the idea of a perfectly good tire being "wasted" and never used. That's 20% more tire life. I always did five tire rotations on my JK.
Sponsored