Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
AWD/4WD VEHICLES
You should not mix tires in any way on an AWD (all-wheel drive) or 4WD (four-wheel drive) vehicle. If you drive a 4WD or AWD, your tires should match in tread depth, brand, model and size. Mixing tires in any way on these types of vehicles can cause wear and/or damage to the vehicle’s drive train.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/mixing-tread-depths

🤷‍♂️
Or you could idk... read the owners manual and/or run what the manufacturer not only obviously recommends but also includes with the vehicle? Trying to give a generic recommendation for all vehicles site you should err on the side of caution. Many awds include limited slip difs in the transfer case and dif so mismatched tires will cause premature wear. Many 4wds like land rover use aggressive abs based traction controls that will not be happy with mismatched tires. If you have the rear limited slip, the rear is the only place mis-matched tires would cause a problem. If you have lockers, leave them off. Otherwise run it and don't worry. Again it's a mismatched wheel so unless you like the meth head look it's only temporary anyway.
Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Or you could idk... read the owners manual and/or run what the manufacturer not only obviously recommends but also includes with the vehicle? Trying to give a generic recommendation for all vehicles site you should err on the side of caution. Many awds include limited slip difs in the transfer case and dif so mismatched tires will cause premature wear. Many 4wds like land rover use aggressive abs based traction controls that will not be happy with mismatched tires. If you have the rear limited slip, the rear is the only place mis-matched tires would cause a problem. If you have lockers, leave them off. Otherwise run it and don't worry. Again it's a mismatched wheel so unless you like the meth head look it's only temporary anyway.

Manual doesn't mention beadlocks either. How strange.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Manual doesn't mention beadlocks either. How strange.
The manual doesn't cover mods, kinda apples and oranges. Pretty sure I trust jeep as far as what size spare is OK to run vs discount tires generic advice?

Farmer Fran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude (Metro-Jethro) 2023
The Idea behind a modern spare is to get you to a safe location to get the damaged tire repaired or replaced. It is not intended to run extended or full time.

The spare tire is basically the same diameter as the mains, which makes it "safe" for the drivetrain in these events. Even closer if your mains are worn.

Fun Fact: I remember guys using the Spare on the 2004 GTOs as front skinnies, it was hilarious!

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2018 JLU Sahara, 2021 JTO
Farmer Fran, agree, was just surprised at the factory smaller spare! I would as you say have tire fixed or get new and put spare back!!

Surprised with limited slip that Jeep original equip spare is not same size is all?

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

katsrdking

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
I put a 35/12.5/17 under my 2022 overland...no problem. I don't think it's a fitment issue. Jeep must be getting rid of overhead!

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
On the flip side to this coin- since most don’t 5 tire rotate… there would be threads complaining how their aluminum wheel looks like hell after being pulled down from the under body 5 years after purchase….

vs the steel wheel that most already think looks terrible being pulled down with the expectation meeting actual…

pick up a matching 5th wheel off eBay or Craigslist- you will also need a tire pressure sensor too… problem solved. Find something else to wank about :)

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
My guess is it's a money savings thing. But ya, kinda weird so to speak.

Not really much difference between the two. Nothing a few pounds of air pressure couldn't even out. Not to mention tread wear.
For comparison...
Screenshot_20240317_091047_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2018 JLU Sahara, 2021 JTO
Rudejeepin, nice chart! I really don’t care hope not have to use I? It’s the point of it! Jeep maybe should be called cheap! After 28 of then I should not be surprised at anything to save a buck!! LOL NOT SO MUCH!

thaks all, good Jeepin to all

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Rudejeepin, nice chart! I really don’t care hope not have to use I? It’s the point of it! Jeep maybe should be called cheap! After 28 of then I should not be surprised at anything to save a buck!! LOL NOT SO MUCH!

thaks all, good Jeepin to all
It's the same across pretty much all modern trucks. My 2017 ram rebel came with 33" all terrains on aluminum wheels and a 32" street tire spare on a steel wheel. The Wrangler is likely one of the only vehicles available with 5 matching wheels and tires, especially in the off road segment.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Put it on the front passenger, leave 4wd off can run a clown wheel there and it wouldnt matter unless you pull the lever as that wheel isnt connected to the diff.

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
As I said it’s probably for fitting under the rig?
Na, I squeezed my 37- 12.50- 17 Cooper Discoverer SST under there. Yeah it's tight but it fit. My wife's 20 Overland came with the same steel 17" wheel and spare tire. Open diff's and even limited slip will eliminate the drive train damage being spoken of. It's a spare that's meant to get you out of harms way. DO NOT engage lockers with different diameter tires. I wouldn't necessarily like the idea of driving with different size tires but I like the idea of being stranded or walking miles to get help even less. I know it seems impossible in this connected world but alot of places we take our trucks is way off the grid.
Sponsored