Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Where is the aux battery located exactly???
I really hate this start stop system. Has anyone ever removed the system? At the least would it be possible to not run the aux battery at all??
There are videos on youtube that show a circuit you can install behind the panel where the ESS disable switch is that is basically a timer that sends a signal to the pcm after each start telling it the disable button has been pushed.
This is a cheap, simple way to do it. You set that circuit in place and forget it. It's really pretty clever.
Or, you can spend a lot of money on other devices like taser, or other modifications.
If I hated the ESS, I'd go with the circuit I found on youtube as it's simple, non-intrusive and simply works - and it's CHEAP to do.
It causes me no grief and works fine - doesn't prevent me from doing anything I want with my truck so I simply ignore it. I have more important concerns than the ESS.
Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So just got mine back from the dealer and all they had to do to fix the issue is reset the IBS “Intelligent Battery Sensor” and all is good now

Mele5815

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 2019
Yeah, there's another point - and that's one reason to let the dealer "diagnose" - you're right, could be the sensor or some other piece of the system. If it's the battery, it can leave you stuck, if it's not, it's still a simple fix that should be done.
FYI it may not be the battery. I had the same issue and battery was fine, a tech diagnosed the issue as a calibration problem that resulted in ess not being able to measure the auxiliary battery charge. The tech performed a calibration reset that allowed the ess to recognize that the auxiliary battery was charged. The calibration fixed the issue and it has worked since then.
I took mine to the dealer for a similar issue the other day. After keeping it two days for what ever reason. They call me to tell me nothing was wrong. I then asked them. What were you checking and they were not even sure what had been done. I had to explain again that the aux keeps saying charging. They called me again to tell me nothing was wrong with the system that it was the accessories attached. Which I only have one single accessory. Not very happy with their diagnosis because I am not even sure they checked anything

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So just got mine back from the dealer and all they had to do to fix the issue is reset the IBS “Intelligent Battery Sensor” and all is good now
So a day later it crapped out again and they ended up replacing the ESS battery

Sponsored

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Mine is back to not ready battery charging agin. After the holidays I’ll call and set up another round of tomfoolery

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Sport S Eco Diesel, Jeep Renegade
Occupation
I.T.
Mine started doing the same thing a few weeks ago when we started getting cold weather. I brought it in and they checked out the batteries and found nothing wrong with them. I am supposed to bring it back after the holidays for them to take a closer look at things. Mine also started to idle at just over 1000 RPMs all of the time.

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
The high idle will be there all winter it’s supposed to do that until warm. If it’s below 40 I believe. Also if it’s in the 20s it will idle around 1300 1400 and gradually come down as it warms. Or at least the 3.0 does. I have not yet made a new appointment for the battery charging message. Your higher idle may possibly be the fact it’s in charge mode as well. See what they find I suppose…

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Sport S Eco Diesel, Jeep Renegade
Occupation
I.T.
Dude, this is Vegas, it doesn't get that cold for that long. and it never goes below 1000 RPMs. Even after it warms up.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I disabled my start stop permanently 8 miles into ownership. No warnings thankfully

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The high idle will be there all winter it’s supposed to do that until warm. If it’s below 40 I believe. Also if it’s in the 20s it will idle around 1300 1400 and gradually come down as it warms. Or at least the 3.0 does. I have not yet made a new appointment for the battery charging message. Your higher idle may possibly be the fact it’s in charge mode as well. See what they find I suppose…
Gas engine doesn't do that. Mine idles as normal after a few seconds, pretty much regardless of temperature.

and it never goes below 1000 RPMs. Even after it warms up.
That's a problem, not normal. Mine idles down fine within seconds of starting it.

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Goes in Friday. But now for this , I’m betting the heater is part of the reason the battery has been charging.
Jeep Gladiator Start stop not ready. 601A7429-DB14-4F3E-863B-275A7146FA1E

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
So I’m sitting here waiting for them to charge the battery…. They say cold weather is tough on battery’s … I said no shit but driving two hrs a day should keep them topped off. Uh ummm yea it should but the charger says it’s low. Well do you think maybe there is something wrong with the charging system?? I’m uh well yeah perhaps but we can’t test that until the battery is fully charged…

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m sitting here waiting for them to charge the battery…. They say cold weather is tough on battery’s … I said no shit but driving two hrs a day should keep them topped off. Uh ummm yea it should but the charger says it’s low. Well do you think maybe there is something wrong with the charging system?? I’m uh well yeah perhaps but we can’t test that until the battery is fully charged…
Well, they are right in that it's hard to totally check the charging system in modern vehicles if the batteries aren't up to snuff. Even on my test bench doing legacy type alternators, I can't get good info if the battery on my test bench is low.

Yes, driving 2 hours a day absolutely should keep things up or topped off. I understand mine not keeping up in cold weather as it may sit 2 or 3 days and I can drive it 2 hours before ESS is ready (in the summer doesn't take long at all)
I think the batteries Jeep is using are not so great.......... too many fail. I also wonder if the IBS isn't working as it should on a lot of these.
Sponsored