First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Due to the warm weather we had sense my last visit the start stop has been working for 3 days. Took it in today and told them that the system is working for now. They agreed there was no sense in leaving it there for the day being that there is technically nothing wrong. It’s been documented and we will be seeing if the issue returns with the cold weather. It’s been mid 30s all week and tonight it’s going to drop to -16 and a high of 5 tomorrow and back into the negatives again tomorrow night. I am certain the condition will return with the cold. My best guess is that the def heater is drawing the battery down keeping things from freezing. Once the battery is depleted to a certain point the def heater is cut off and that is what led to my frozen def last week. So the saga continues. I’m debating on a battery tender and block heater. Or to just buy a winter rat and store the gladiator every winter. I could lease a Subaru and only run it in winter, keep the salt and miles off my rig lol. Drastic measure for a simple problem haha.
I just added this to my JTD.... https://no.co/genius2d
My battery will get really low when I drive my Subaru too much. ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
I will likely be adding one of those soon. On way home from dinner we hit -1 F and the battery charging message came back on. Of course I won’t be able to duplicate it on Monday when the dealer is back open and it’s 33 outside… this and a block heater are in my near future I believe.

freebird_78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
I have not scanned this thread but has this been posted here?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ibs-clear-reset.67955/

I charged both my batteries seperately last week and followed this IBS reset.. Boom 2 days later start/stop works! I will add that I believe I damaged one of my charges on the Lithium battery-it did not charge @ 6v 2amp.. The lithium battery did charge @ 12v 2amp AMG setting on a different charger
That seems to have fixed mine too.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-not-ready-battery-charging.52256/post-875185

Not sure what you're referring to about "lithium battery" though. The main battery is 700CCA AGM and the AUX is 200CCA AGM.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Soo got in the truck the other day and revived a OTA update on the infotainment system. I didn’t see the revision number but it’s been below zero with highs in the teens for days now and my charging system and ess are both working as designed. Voltage wanders from 12.6 to 14.8 depending on demand. ESS says not ready most of the time due to outside temps being so cold and having the heat on. However when things get warm in the cab start stop is now ready!
Going to take me a bit to get used to having to turn it off again lol.

Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
My battery was dead this morning and after I jumped it and drove around for an hour or so, it said Start/Stop Not Ready for most of the drive. Then I got some gas, the JT started up just fine, but now it says Start/Stop failure and needs to be serviced. Like others have mentioned, free Start/Stop kill, which I think I'll enjoy, but I'll probably have it looked at to be sure.
Closing the loop on my post, I finally took the Gladiator in this past Friday (06/03/22) and indeed both batteries were "severely" drained. They replaced both batteries under warranty.

Every night I used my 12V charger and charged the main battery over night and it gave me enough for the next day (for the most part). I can't believe I did this for 7 months (I didn't realize my post was from Dec 21). In looking at this, I realize I'm a procrastinator, I'm cheap, and when it's baseball season, I have zero time.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
If I take a long trip (2 or more hours) my start/stop will work. Once I'm home driving locally, it get stuck on battery charging. This system is just a piece of shit. It's been like this since the beginning and dealers just wait you out until the warranty is over. I wish I could just remove this system and have a normal one battery vehicle. They way it should be. Merica

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
In looking at this, I realize I'm a procrastinator, I'm cheap, and when it's baseball season, I have zero time.
Welcome to my world................
My motto is never do today that which you can put off until tomorrow, and tax due date? Naw, that's a suggestion, no big deal......
as one of the world's experts says:
You know what to do but can't do what you know. ADHD = Motivation Deficit Disorder.
The cat shredded my homework, then barfed it up. My 73 has been apart 2 years now, and the car I'm parting and promised my wife would be stripped and scrapped by summer 2020 still sits there.
I get it and I applaud your ability to not get it done.

I'm so cheap that my wife finally gave me hell and an ultimatum the second time I burned up a home-owners circular saw doing semi-pro work - if you come back with another cheap saw you are going right back to town, don't even get out of your truck. I still watch for sales but now it's sale on the better stuff. She's right - I could have bought one nice saw for the money I had in multiple cheap ones, plus the frustration.

Is your battery charger new enough to properly deal with AGM batteries? Not all chargers will do them right.
Those must have been baaad to have to charge every night like that! Amazing that one didn't just totally crap out on you like happened with my wife's Grand Cherokee - I was able to jump her Jeep, or charge it, for quite a while, then one day even charging over night - removed the charger and the voltage dropped fast to about 11. I jumped it and we took it right to the dealer. About 6 weeks left on warranty, luckily.
Sponsored