Sponsored

Steering Issue with your JT- some info for you

smess

Picked up my LE today and test drove it, was very windy drifted to the right but not bad. Tires have been replaced to 315/70/17 which is a 34.4x12.7 (35) from the stock 32.7x11.2 (33). Tire pressures 35-37 cold. Stock Wheels.

Jeep had 30 miles on it, put it on the alignment rack and referred to the supplemental FCA alignment specs. Toe was off a significant amount, toed in. Left side Caster was out of range.

Once we got our readings we made adjustments and as the toe and steer ahead fell in to place so did the Caster.

Please see the FCA Supplemental Alignment Specs, notice the Caster numbers, mine is at the bare minimum range of what FCA wants to see. THESE ARE NOT THE NUMBERS AN ALIGNMENT MACHINE WILL SHOW YOU, THESE NEW NUMBERS ARE TOO NEW TO BE IN THE MACHINE.

For those of you with lifted JT's remember the Jeep goes up the axle rolls back and the caster number goes down. If mine is stock and I am at the bare min then lifted Jeeps will be off the spec chart. Would it effect steering in a negative way? Who knows I have seen these coil spring solid axle Jeeps do some strange stuff. When the stuff is in spec it tends to be ok IN MY EXPERIENCE!!

I have owned many Jeeps and I really like this one, we can fix this issue.

I am most impressed with how Jeep delivers the power from a not so powerful motor with the assistance of the tranny, excellent job.

I am all about Hemi conversions but I have to say this time around Hemi in this truck is for Billionaires only. Truck is fine the way it is.

Read the thread in the link below and WATCH THE VIDEO IN POST 16, we need to get all the info in one place and get these guys and gals that are having problems fixed or get them new vehicles or money back.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/steering-issue.17198/

@JeepCares
#jeepcares

tJPqyv7FQYajVC3kYWVbTg.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I don’t see anything attached. On my phone so I may have missed it but...

OP
OP

smess

I don’t see anything attached. On my phone so I may have missed it but...
Sorry I could not get the photo to transfer from the phone to pc, I amended my thread and will try to post when the cloud wakes up.

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Are there knockouts for the shitty cam bolt option?

Sponsored

OP
OP

smess

How did you adjust caster with non-adjustable control arms?
Did not have to, when the toe and steer ahead were adjusted the caster fell back in place, remember when the tires turn left and right they also lean. When toe is off it won't lean as much and caster will be off. Also remember that the electronic steering is sensitive to dead center probably because of the goofy software that runs it.

Most important thing is the supplement wants Glads to have a min of 4.0, the machine will show only 3.4-3.5 is necessary. There was a TSB about this that I read I believe for the JL's.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Picked up my LE today and test drove it, was very windy drifted to the right but not bad. Tires have been replaced to 315/70/17 which is a 34.4x12.7 (35) from the stock 32.7x11.2 (33). Tire pressures 35-37 cold. Stock Wheels.

Jeep had 30 miles on it, put it on the alignment rack and referred to the supplemental FCA alignment specs. Toe was off a significant amount, toed in. Left side Caster was out of range.

Once we got our readings we made adjustments and as the toe and steer ahead fell in to place so did the Caster.

Please see the FCA Supplemental Alignment Specs, notice the Caster numbers, mine is at the bare minimum range of what FCA wants to see. THESE ARE NOT THE NUMBERS AN ALIGNMENT MACHINE WILL SHOW YOU, THESE NEW NUMBERS ARE TOO NEW TO BE IN THE MACHINE.

For those of you with lifted JT's remember the Jeep goes up the axle rolls back and the caster number goes down. If mine is stock and I am at the bare min then lifted Jeeps will be off the spec chart. Would it effect steering in a negative way? Who knows I have seen these coil spring solid axle Jeeps do some strange stuff. When the stuff is in spec it tends to be ok IN MY EXPERIENCE!!

Please post the revised specs so that the rest of us can benefit from or provide a link.

Thanks.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Smess, so how is the steering feel now? Perfect, or just better? Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

smess

Smess, so how is the steering feel now? Perfect, or just better? Thanks.
It was extremely windy yesterday and considering the wind it drove like a normal ice cream truck Jeep driving down the road or better but overall I think it feels real good. Once alignment was fixed it no longer drifted right. Mine never felt loose.

I still don't like that the supplement shows Caster being min 4 and I am at the extreme low end with a variance of plus/minus 1 on 4.45. How can you have a minus 1 on 4.45 if the additional note says nothing below 4?

I am not saying this is the answer to the steering issues some have experienced but this is a good place to start in addition to the great video that is posted regarding the Jeeps being programmed to the wrong model.

I have a friend that is working on two of them, one drives perfect, the other like shit.

tJPqyv7FQYajVC3kYWVbTg.jpg

OP
OP

smess

Notice they want more caster in Sports and don't even list the Overland?

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
The Jeep is aligned to factory specs before it leaves the factory.

If you have alignment issues it is due to chaining it down to the bump stops on the train and or the transport trucks.

Mis-Alignment will cause s pull to one side or the other—not a wander side to side.

OP
OP

smess

The Jeep is aligned to factory specs before it leaves the factory.

If you have alignment issues it is due to chaining it down to the bump stops on the train and or the transport trucks.

Mis-Alignment will cause s pull to one side or the other—not a wander side to side.
Yep, I am pretty sure I know what the issue is I am trying to find documentation to explain it to people.

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / GCM - 2016 KIA Optima
Any new updates on anything.
Sponsored