Sponsored

Stock Mojave suspension vs Sport S Max Tow with Mopar lift: which "drives" better

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
Considering either a Mojave or Max Tow. About $8k difference (as I'd spec them). Would lift the Max Tow by 2" to add 35" tires, but could live with Mojave's 1" lift for added 35" tires.

One factor I don't know is what the difference between ON ROAD drive quality would be between the Mojave vs. Mopar 2" lift on a Max Tow. I've seen some reviews praising the Mojave's suspension on road ("better than a Rubi, yada yada"). But is it better (and by how much?) than a Max Tow w/2" Mapar lift as far as on-road comfort?

I live in Michigan, so most paved roads are worse than any desert sand dunes or mountain trail could ever hope to be. So which model could earn the coveted and mythical 'Michigan On Road Rated' badge?

No need to point out Mojave's rear locker or other differences between the two models - I've already factored those in.

Thanks for your thoughts and input!
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I have the Mopar 2" lift on 20" wheels with 35X12 tires. It is a Max Tow. I have made some adjustments and additions, but I would say the ride is surprisingly comfortable. The additions:
Synergy Sector Shaft Brace
Fox Steering Damper (Mopar upgrade one)
Yeti/Steer Smarts Front Track Bar
Synergy Rear Track Bar

I have my front tires at 34 PSI and the Rears at 36 as I am hooked up to my trailer quite a bit. We live in a rural area and lately the roads are sometimes just a suggestion. Wife prefers riding and driving in the jeep to her 2018 explorer limited most of the time as you can just drive and not have to dodge everything in the road, and it soaks it up. I am not a huge fan of her hitting heaves and potholes at speed, but so far it seems to be tolerating it. I get on the interstate at least 3-4 times a week. I am supercharged and have an insulated hardtop, but the jeep is pretty decent noise wise inside and it tracks down the road using one hand on the wheel. SO far, not missing my Ram limited

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Max Tow... First you don't need to lift 2" to get 35's in. Get rid of the ugly air dam that connects the front bumper to the fenders & your done. I did level mine using Rubicon take off front coils & the Fox shocks all around & I liked the road manners better.

I haven't driven a Mojave, but I imagine it should be the best of the bunch for driving experience outside of crawling.

Now for that 8k difference that's a lot of wiggle room for suspension (as well as other things) upgrades to be done.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Considering either a Mojave or Max Tow. About $8k difference (as I'd spec them). Would lift the Max Tow by 2" to add 35" tires, but could live with Mojave's 1" lift for added 35" tires.

One factor I don't know is what the difference between ON ROAD drive quality would be between the Mojave vs. Mopar 2" lift on a Max Tow. I've seen some reviews praising the Mojave's suspension on road ("better than a Rubi, yada yada"). But is it better (and by how much?) than a Max Tow w/2" Mapar lift as far as on-road comfort?

I live in Michigan, so most paved roads are worse than any desert sand dunes or mountain trail could ever hope to be. So which model could earn the coveted and mythical 'Michigan On Road Rated' badge?

No need to point out Mojave's rear locker or other differences between the two models - I've already factored those in.

Thanks for your thoughts and input!
1- you can negotiate better on the Mojave, based on my results anyway. I realize with “more limited” editions that can be tougher to wiggle, so i dont know your circumstances

2- if all you care about is the ride quality from the shocks, just get a max tow with an AEV dual sport or clayton kit or icon kit.

Sponsored

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
I have a Sport S with Rubi takeoff shocks and springs.
I test drove a Mojave yesterday, and did notice “any” ride quality difference on rural, secondary roads.
I purposefully hit every pothole and road imperfection I could find.
I wish I could have gone zooming down the gravel roads and logging roads to exercise it more, but I didn’t want to risk it.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
If you are going to lift it, I’d imagine ride quality would be more about exactly what lift/wheels/tires you go with rather than which chassis you bolt it to.
You know you just want that cool hood & the orange trim lol

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
So when people do the mopar lift on the max tow, are you not just throwing away part of the reason of getting the max tow? I was thinking the max tow rear springs were a lot of the reason a max tow is a max tow? With the mopar lift, arent those getting tossed?

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
So when people do the mopar lift on the max tow, are you not just throwing away part of the reason of getting the max tow? I was thinking the max tow rear springs were a lot of the reason a max tow is a max tow? With the mopar lift, arent those getting tossed?
Max tow gets you 4.10 gears and wider axles, which are the bigger difference.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Max tow gets you 4.10 gears and wider axles, which are the bigger difference.
And you still have the larger payload sticker on your door frame. They don’t remove that when upgrading to the 2” mopar ;)

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I have a Sport S with Rubi takeoff shocks and springs.
I test drove a Mojave yesterday, and did notice “any” ride quality difference on rural, secondary roads.
I purposefully hit every pothole and road imperfection I could find.
I wish I could have gone zooming down the gravel roads and logging roads to exercise it more, but I didn’t want to risk it.
the larger shock bodies matter more as youre running harder over a period of time. The shock fade isnt there like it is on standard body shocks, especially if youre loaded down. Remote resi usually has a little more travel, too.

OP
OP
CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
If you are going to lift it, I’d imagine ride quality would be more about exactly what lift/wheels/tires you go with rather than which chassis you bolt it to.
You know you just want that cool hood & the orange trim lol
Oilburner, if I choose the Mojave, the hood will be swapped out for a Sport hood. I understand the aesthetic appeal of the Mojave hood, but I just can't stand fake vents. I imagine you are right that wheels and tires will play a huge role in ride quality.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Oilburner, if I choose the Mojave, the hood will be swapped out for a Sport hood. I understand the aesthetic appeal of the Mojave hood, but I just can't stand fake vents. I imagine you are right that wheels and tires will play a huge role in ride quality.
The hood and cowl brackets are different on the mojave, the swap may not be as easy as you think