Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
I take it you didnā€™t have an opportunity to shoot back. It doesnā€™t always present itself. Damn. NC is as bad as DC these days.
I always hear native California's saying they can't wait to move out because of stuff like this. Okay, but where would you go? Every state is a s--t hole šŸ˜‚ The grass isn't always greener.

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
I have the doors off my 21 gladiator and tried a testā€¦. ( I park it in my 24x40 pole barn) but anyways if you lock it and security light on dash is active, I can jump in with key fob at my side push brake and start button and it will start and I can drive awayā€¦ apparently security will go inactive once a valid key fob signal and button is pressed

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Pull relay K03 šŸ‘šŸ‘
If electrically inclined , maybe you could reroute one of the relay wires to one of your auxiliary switches, then it's a flick of the switch (not an AC/DC pun.. ha ha) instead of pulling the relay all the time .... ? :idea::idea::idea:

Sponsored

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
I just saw a documentary that actually states just the opposite. As fast as new tech is created, by the time its developed, there is already a hack.... they use a program on the IPad and intercept your signal, download it and creat their own fob, come back and gone. I will try to find it again for reference.
Was at the dealership and asked, the iPad is from the dealer, mechanic steals it for the night and they use it to make a new fob. Explain by your article how the iPad intercepted the signal being in his driveway at night, when heā€™s sleeping? He clicks the remote in his sleep? Once again the signals are encrypted and donā€™t use rolling codes, plus jeeps when getting a new key fob for some reason donā€™t have to be started and can be programmed when off, stupid design

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Was at the dealership and asked, the iPad is from the dealer, mechanic steals it for the night and they use it to make a new fob. Explain by your article how the iPad intercepted the signal being in his driveway at night, when heā€™s sleeping? He clicks the remote in his sleep? Once again the signals are encrypted and donā€™t use rolling codes, plus jeeps when getting a new key fob for some reason donā€™t have to be started and can be programmed when off, stupid design
not arguing you post, just stating what I saw... but here is a quick quote I just read in another article...
"so you don't have to remove the key from a bag or pocket to enter or start the car. In typical designs, the car continually transmits a low-frequency (e.g., 135 kHz) radio signal to wake up any wireless keys within range"

here is another article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/car-thefts-rising-1.4930890

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
not arguing you post, just stating what I saw... but here is a quick quote I just read in another article...
"so you don't have to remove the key from a bag or pocket to enter or start the car. In typical designs, the car continually transmits a low-frequency (e.g., 135 kHz) radio signal to wake up any wireless keys within range"

here is another article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/car-thefts-rising-1.4930890
Thatā€™s just proximity, first step to get in but you need the fob to start it, I had remote start installed and they used an iPad to set a new key while the jeep was off, everything is encrypted, itā€™s just a sketchy mechanic stealing cars, probably chooses them without the Uconnect GPS feature or pulls a fuse, maybe jeep will make a software update to stop making so easy or a location setting on the iPad setting recording when and where they make a fob, login credentials that get approved by corporate etc just sucks all around

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Thatā€™s just proximity, first step to get in but you need the fob to start it, I had remote start installed and they used an iPad to set a new key while the jeep was off, everything is encrypted, itā€™s just a sketchy mechanic stealing cars, probably chooses them without the Uconnect GPS feature or pulls a fuse, maybe jeep will make a software update to stop making so easy or a location setting on the iPad setting recording when and where they make a fob, login credentials that get approved by corporate etc just sucks all around
I also have remote start, is there anything we should worry about over not having it ? your right ... really sucks you can't even trust the ones that need to be trusted the most.... I threw out the idea of running the fuel pump relay hot wire to one of your auxiliary switches... wonder if there could be something to it ? can you imagine, they are celebrating and then they get down your street and it just quits... ha ha... got to be an answer without spending a $1000.

maybe something like this ???

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/battery-accessories/62132-warn-power-interrupt-kit

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
Could work but I think the ignition system is too sensitive to alter but I donā€™t know much about the fuel pump system but could work. Youā€™re right you could accidentally vapor lock your fuel
Pump and thatā€™s annoying as well, I honestly donā€™t know what would help just have to press jeep about better security measures I think !

Sponsored

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
How about a hidden switch in series with the Start button. You would have to press both at the same time and the thief wouldn't know that.

Oneshotlucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Ops Manager
They aren't enabled from the factory as an alarm trigger. For what reason, I don't know. You can enable them with a tazer, though. From the factory, it's just a sensor that tells the Jeep if the hood is open or not, and makes the light come on. I have no idea why they aren't part of the alarm by default. That, I agree, is an oversight.
I have a Tazer! How do I activate the sensors with it?

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I have a Tazer! How do I activate the sensors with it?
That will only work for anyone just looking for a battery... if they use the skimming technique, it will deactivate when the doors are unlocked with the tablet.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I always hear native California's saying they can't wait to move out because of stuff like this. Okay, but where would you go? Every state is a s--t hole šŸ˜‚ The grass isn't always greener.
Raleigh is always listed as one of the best cities in America to live. Iā€™m not singling you out, but you guys need to not take an isolated incident and judge a city or state by it.
Sponsored