Sponsored

Micky

First Name
Micky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
They are going to release an upgraded clutch and bite the bullet on the recall which Jeep has been trying to avoid. It happens.
Sponsored

bsd103

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2021 Gladiator Sport S 6spd manual, 2013 Abarth 500, 2012 charger SRT
For any of you complaining about losing the February incentive, on top of that I had another $1000 incentive that's expiring at the end of the month, and my gladiator has been finished since late November (so yes I was screwed on incentives quite a few times now including employee pricing), but I haven't been able to pick it up because it was left by the shipper and then left at some dealer in toledo for a couple months (literally just sitting there), then they finally took a look at it once I figured out where it was and gave them hell. Now it's been waiting for a new transmission because the current one somehow won't go into reverse. And then add this recall on top of it. Good times. I don't think I'm even going to take delivery on this thing anymore. Icing on the cake is that I'm just a couple hundred miles from the plant. Never ordering another new vehicle from them again. Maybe you at least won't feel so salty about your situation. All of it has been poorly handled though.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
For any of you complaining about losing the February incentive, on top of that I had another $1000 incentive that's expiring at the end of the month, and my gladiator has been finished since late November (so yes I was screwed on incentives quite a few times now including employee pricing), but I haven't been able to pick it up because it was left by the shipper and then left at some dealer in toledo for a couple months (literally just sitting there), then they finally took a look at it once I figured out where it was and gave them hell. Now it's been waiting for a new transmission because the current one somehow won't go into reverse. And then add this recall on top of it. Good times. I don't think I'm even going to take delivery on this thing anymore. Icing on the cake is that I'm just a couple hundred miles from the plant. Never ordering another new vehicle from them again. Maybe you at least won't feel so salty about your situation. All of it has been poorly handled though.
Wow, that does really suck! I sat there as i worked through the order, forgot the auxiliary switchs package, looking at my phone showing this forum with the manual transmission recall pulled up...thinking to myself, "I really ought to rethink this or at least wait". Now I'm reading about the "stop sell" order, what FCA or whoever plans on whatever the idea is to fix the problem. The manual transmission build on Jeep JL, JLU and JT's is so small that there is a strong chance that they will put the whole thing on a side rail and let it sit. I worked 26+ years in the automotive industry as a tier one supplier to Ford and GM. Four wheel drive transfer case units. Begore a blackeye gets any worse the shut it down to get a solid fix on it. I watched it happen to us because of a supplier that failed to inform us of a engineering change. Cost us our tier one supplier quality for over a year. It's to bad Jeep has let it go on this long. And its a shame the way they have handled your order. Hope you hang in there though.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Jeep/FCA spent how many YEARS in development and testing?

Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know what they are actually doing during the sales stoppage? Here are some options they could be pursuing:
(1) Using this time to apply the software "fix" to all manual trucks (i.e. de-tuning the engine under certain parameters).
(2) Working on some other solution - perhaps a hardware solution, like a different clutch.
(3) Something else??
"De-tuning" ? under what parameter is that a fix? Those on here and everywhere else bought or are buying a truck that provides an acknowledged base / peak horsepower and torque for a vehicle capable of on and off road travel, and if they wanted what came with a 72 Ford Pinto, they would have shopped for that. Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm. H = T x rpm/5252, where H is horsepower, T is pound-feet, rpm is how fast the engine is spinning, and 5252 is a constant that makes the units jibe. So, to make more power an engine needs to generate more torque, operate at higher rpm, or both.

The fix is to re-engineer the clutch mechanism to handle what the Hp / T is engineered, advertised and expected to be. EDTC can be applied to control wheel spin on slippery surfaces and perhaps this can be engineered into the clutching mechanism to stop burning up pressure plates. Perhaps.... but dropping the hp and thusly the torque is not the solution, it's a death knell to performance.

Automobile Catalog tested a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.6 V6 with a six speed manual Transmission and the vehicle delivered an SAE net 285 hp at 6400 rpm ,and an SAE net torque of 260 ft-lb at 4400 rpm. Dial that down and all we have accomplished is to reduce the vehicles overall performance. The problem is in the clutching mechanism, not the output of the engine, and Jeep knows it. I just hope they do the right thing and not the fiscally expedient thing.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
They are going to release an upgraded clutch and bite the bullet on the recall which Jeep has been trying to avoid. It happens.
Do you have a statement or link saying this is official?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
My Gladiator Sport S 6-speed, just arrived and immediately stuck in purgatory at Tri-City. Can’t close the deal on it until Jeep releases the recall satisfaction. May lose out on $1,500 bonus cash for February. Thanks to Travis at Tri-City for snapping the pic!

Jeep Gladiator STOP Sale on all Manual Jeeps [Update: software flash fix arrives in March] R318b050b415d242592606e5d74977bb7
Tri-City is pretty good. If they can take care of you they will. between when mine was ordered and delivered FCA upped the price on a few components and I think started charging for colors. They without question honored the ordered price and not the window sticker

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
"De-tuning" ? under what parameter is that a fix? Those on here and everywhere else bought or are buying a truck that provides an acknowledged base / peak horsepower and torque for a vehicle capable of on and off road travel, and if they wanted what came with a 72 Ford Pinto, they would have shopped for that. Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm. H = T x rpm/5252, where H is horsepower, T is pound-feet, rpm is how fast the engine is spinning, and 5252 is a constant that makes the units jibe. So, to make more power an engine needs to generate more torque, operate at higher rpm, or both.

The fix is to re-engineer the clutch mechanism to handle what the Hp / T is engineered, advertised and expected to be. EDTC can be applied to control wheel spin on slippery surfaces and perhaps this can be engineered into the clutching mechanism to stop burning up pressure plates. Perhaps.... but dropping the hp and thusly the torque is not the solution, it's a death knell to performance.

Automobile Catalog tested a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.6 V6 with a six speed manual Transmission and the vehicle delivered an SAE net 285 hp at 6400 rpm ,and an SAE net torque of 260 ft-lb at 4400 rpm. Dial that down and all we have accomplished is to reduce the vehicles overall performance. The problem is in the clutching mechanism, not the output of the engine, and Jeep knows it. I just hope they do the right thing and not the fiscally expedient thing.
Whoa, dude. I didn't come up with the plan to de-tune the engine. That is what FCA said they were doing in the recall, prior to the Stop-Sale order. Then, after initially planning to recall all manual Gladiators and apply the de-tune in the software, FCA seems to have changed tack, and issued the Stop-Sale, which might mean that they have a different plan. Of course, their plan may not have changed, and maybe they just decided to stop selling new manuals while they apply the software adjustment to their stock of new vehicles and to the ones being brought in current owners.

I get that you are annoyed. I would be too. No one wants to take their vehicle in and get the power reduced. No one. I never suggested that the de-tune was a real fix, I was presenting a couple of different scenarios that FCA might be pursuing.

If I owned a manual Gladiator I would be starting a petition on this forum and I'd include all the signatures I gathered in a letter to FCA, requesting a hardware solution - not a software adjustment that de-tunes the engine. I would not take my truck in for the de-tune - even if they say the reduction in torque only occurs under high heat, which was in one of the recall notices that I can't find right now. The recall I can find says nothing about high heat, just that they will "add software to reduce engine torque capability, free of charge" (!). You can read that recall notice here. I'd consider pursuing a couple of options: (1) I'd see if my local Jeep dealer would install a Center Force clutch for free (I buy the part, they do the labor for free). I have a great relationahip with both my local Jeep and Toyota dealers, and have been able to swing a deal like this in the past. If that didn't work out, I would go to option (2) trade in the manual for an auto, and insist politely on a very high trade-in value. Sales managers can be very reasonable when the conversation is respectful and the proposal is realistic (although there are some dealerships where that will never be true).

Good luck!

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Here is a thought for FCA, since you are so inept at designing clutches, why don't you just buy an aftermarket clutch.

From what I have been reading they outperform the stock. It sounds like you could probably cut a deal with Centerforce, then ship the parts as Dodge. The numbers of manuals are so low, this could be the cheapest and best fix for both FCA and us owners.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
With Ford breathing down their neck, Jeep needs to jump on these issues.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
With Ford breathing down their neck, Jeep needs to jump on these issues.
Worried about Ford? 4 recalls on my 2015 Transit. Waiting to get the latest one done.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Quotes from that movie originally meant for stuff you think you get for free, but actually it's your time viewing the content what's being sold. Maybe in this modern world run by computer simulations, where we are expected to believe that detuning is a thing, it means just be a dumb ass, to accept the free retro clutch brain, and sell off your logical faculties in favor of a brand because a clutch ain't supposed to have a brain in no case for no jeep truck but whatever... Whatever happened to the most capable the 100% truck 100% jeep crowd? Guess they took the day off.

Jeep Gladiator STOP Sale on all Manual Jeeps [Update: software flash fix arrives in March] if-you-are-not-paying-for-it-you-are-the-product-being-sold-001-e1440192299750
Sponsored