First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
I wish Jeep would make Tremec 6 speed with appropriate ratios and adapt it for 4wd in this applications. Then the clutch and transmission would handle, supercharging, a hemi, a hellcat, you name it. We wouldn't have to worry about power output. That would be an ideal fix. I'd pay to have.
ahhh if only we could get a TR6060 magnum................

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
I spoke to a service tech at my dealership today while had my Gladiator in for a checkup. I specifically asked him about the manual recall and what he understood it to involve. He told me, there will be a clutch and pressure plate replacement completed on the transmission. Not just a software update. Also asked him about any possible loss of power. He stated there would be no loss and should be an increase overall. I would trust he wouldn't give me false information on this important issue. We will see how things go when the parts are available.

Fingers crossed....
Let's follow the money here for a second. The stock clutch and pressure plate from Mopar through Quadratec runs $530 (granted, that's aftermarket retail and their in house cost will be considerably lower.) Rough estimate on shop rate for any dealership is $150/hr. Very rough estimate on time to r&r by trained tech is 6 hours. Total manual transmissions to receive clutch and pressure plate replacement is 43,000 units. Parts come to around $23,000,000 plus labor of about $39,000,000 comes to an approximate total of $62,000,000. I don't think a service tech in North Carolina is authorized to override the decision of Stellantis to just install the software flash as they have indicated will be the only official fix in this recall in favor of spending sixty-two million dollars. If the service tech is referencing the prior recall, clutch kits were replaced only if the vehicle failed the dump test. This may still be in effect as a final test to see if damage has already been done to the original clutch, but swapping all of them out if they pass seems redundant and quite expensive.

As for an increase of power, I think that every single automobile manufacturer would like to have a word with him as to the miracle of a power generating clutch assembly. This seems like a very dubious statement to make unless the tech is referring to the heat energy created through friction, which in this case does indeed create power. Granted, that particular thermal power is catastrophic, but I suppose in the most basic of terms energy is power. This claim is also counter to the fix. The software flash will decrease torque under certain conditions. If his claim that the overall power will actually increase, then this will elevate the possibility that the conditions that decrease the torque will be met sooner and more often.

There is also an aspect to the service technician's statements to you that make it all too questionable, and that is this is exactly what we all want to hear: New clutch assembly (hopefully improved and upgraded), an unavoidable nanny that would seem near impossible to activate, and to top everything off an increase in power. I would think that this might be something for Jeep to advertise and rub in the faces of any competitors. They can apparently now turn lemons into lemonade, pun intended. They can install a recall fix and actually increase power by doing so, making the vehicle even more desirable and competitively stronger. If that's the case, then I can't wait for the next recall.

I'm not disputing you or what the technician said to you, I have no reason to believe any of that is false. I just have a high degree of skepticism regarding the actual information. I also hope that you find a different technician as this one will be in extremely high demand if what he told you is indeed the truth.

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Let's follow the money here for a second. The stock clutch and pressure plate from Mopar through Quadratec runs $530 (granted, that's aftermarket retail and their in house cost will be considerably lower.) Rough estimate on shop rate for any dealership is $150/hr. Very rough estimate on time to r&r by trained tech is 6 hours. Total manual transmissions to receive clutch and pressure plate replacement is 43,000 units. Parts come to around $23,000,000 plus labor of about $39,000,000 comes to an approximate total of $62,000,000. I don't think a service tech in North Carolina is authorized to override the decision of Stellantis to just install the software flash as they have indicated will be the only official fix in this recall in favor of spending sixty-two million dollars. If the service tech is referencing the prior recall, clutch kits were replaced only if the vehicle failed the dump test. This may still be in effect as a final test to see if damage has already been done to the original clutch, but swapping all of them out if they pass seems redundant and quite expensive.

As for an increase of power, I think that every single automobile manufacturer would like to have a word with him as to the miracle of a power generating clutch assembly. This seems like a very dubious statement to make unless the tech is referring to the heat energy created through friction, which in this case does indeed create power. Granted, that particular thermal power is catastrophic, but I suppose in the most basic of terms energy is power. This claim is also counter to the fix. The software flash will decrease torque under certain conditions. If his claim that the overall power will actually increase, then this will elevate the possibility that the conditions that decrease the torque will be met sooner and more often.

There is also an aspect to the service technician's statements to you that make it all too questionable, and that is this is exactly what we all want to hear: New clutch assembly (hopefully improved and upgraded), an unavoidable nanny that would seem near impossible to activate, and to top everything off an increase in power. I would think that this might be something for Jeep to advertise and rub in the faces of any competitors. They can apparently now turn lemons into lemonade, pun intended. They can install a recall fix and actually increase power by doing so, making the vehicle even more desirable and competitively stronger. If that's the case, then I can't wait for the next recall.

I'm not disputing you or what the technician said to you, I have no reason to believe any of that is false. I just have a high degree of skepticism regarding the actual information. I also hope that you find a different technician as this one will be in extremely high demand if what he told you is indeed the truth.
I was passing on what I was informed of. Do I believe it without question or skepticism? No. I question everything anyone says to me, nature of the beast. Was I telling everyone what to expect when the "fix" is available? No. I am in the camp of, when something is done, it's done, then I and everyone else will know exactly. I believe nothing until I see it. Not looking for a debate or argument....only passing on what was passed on to me. Take it for the grain of salt it is. We can "what if" all day long without any actual knowledge, even with what information is out there.

So to everyone reading this thread, and my original comment, take it in whatever form you prefer. Only thought I would provide what tech passed on.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Can't imagine what that clutch will do backing up a trailer in similar slime on any sort of grade
Agreed. I still stall it backing up in my muddy driveway, and that's without a trailer.

Sponsored

Rebel5

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave, 08 Jeep Wrangler JK 4dr
Occupation
Art Director
@JeepCares Any idea when this flash is happening? New to the forum.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
@JeepCares Any idea when this flash is happening? New to the forum.
Welcome Dave! Sad it has to be in this thread, not a happy thing.

Nonetheless, the flash is supposed to be expected in March. I want to say that I saw around the 13th but I can't find it so I'm not certain. Plus it will depend on local dealers. It appears that any Gladiators ordered prior to the stop sale will have the flash installed prior to arriving at the dealership and will be available for sale as normal with the recall already taken care of. All others will have to wait for the software flash to be installed at the dealerships when they have it available themselves. I understand that it is voluntary for those with the manual already out there.

We'll all see how it plays out, but Kaitlin at Jeep Cares has been informative and has kept us here and on the Wrangler Forum up to date as soon as she gets anything to pass on. However, if you're interested in speculation and entertaining assumptions on our part including some delicious hyperbole, we have done our very best to sling it as best as possible throughout this thread just to see what slides down the wall and what sticks. :turkey::rock::angry::facepalm:

Cheers! Don't worry, this site is actually full of pretty cool cats. It's Jeep.

EDIT: Recall will begin starting March 19.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...020-2021-jeep-gladiator-notice-21v-028.40032/

Rebel5

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Art Director
Thanks @munkeyboy I have a 08 JKU with a manual and waited for Jeep to come out with the truck. I actually just found one with everything I was looking for. Manual and the safety group. It’s amazing how hard it is to find manuals. I guess this is the reason why. It is now just sitting at the dealer waiting like the rest of us for a sunny day to enjoy with the doors and tops off.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi everyone,

Jeeps that were built and held at the yard have started to be flashed.
Recall Y01 is now split into two campaigns.
Y01: 2021 JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator. Owner letters mail shortly.
Y07: 2018-2020 JL Wrangler and 2020 JT Gladiator. Will go interim, flash is expected in the coming months. Interim letters to mail shortly as well.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Rebel5

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Art Director
Hi everyone,

Y07: 2018-2020 JL Wrangler and 2020 JT Gladiator. Will go interim, flash is expected in the coming months. Interim letters to mail shortly as well.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Awesome! Thanks for the update Kaitlin! Can’t wait to get JT in the driveway!

Sponsored

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
Same here, called Jeep yesterday, had a bad feeling when they said my JTR is in JS with the recall. Figured it would be held till mid March. Hope to see it sooner.

Last edited:

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
Hi everyone,

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Ho

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
My poor Jeep has been stuck in limbo at Tri-City since February 11th...

320CEE6B-6F66-4FF6-A25B-8C888C21E71A.jpeg

Rebel5

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Art Director
Mine is still at the dealer waiting the RO as well. @JeepCares What's the timing with the dealers receiving the new flash? I realize it may take 30 min to an hour to re-flash the system. I'm curious as to why, if it's software related, it's taking so long.
Sponsored