Supercharger Story

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Forced induction tunning is NOT straight forward on the gladiator and wrangler when using a mechanical bypass. This forces the use of the naturally aspirated OS, and and at that point you need to understand what needs remapped, what adaptive stratgies need turned off, and which system checks need moved out of the way. The adaptive learning on these is very active and powerful and of the numbers are not right in the check tables it will go to work changing things. If we had an electrical bypass that uses the same driver as the hellcat engines, a person could used the forced induction programming already in the OS and my guess is ot would be pretty straight forward. Anotherthing I have contemplated is locking the bypass closed and using camshaft phasing for the bypass, as no one has seemed to mapped it for FI.
Sponsored

Last edited:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Forced inducrion tunning is straight forward on the gladiator and wrangler when using a mechanical bypass. This forces the use of the naturally aspirated OS, and and at that point you need to understand what needs remapped, what adaptive stratgies need turned off, and which system checks need moved out of the way. The adaptive learning on these is very active and powerful and of the numbers are not right in the check tables it will go to work changing things. If we had an electrical bypass that uses the same driver as the hellcat engines, a person could used the forced induction programming already in the OS and my guess is ot would be pretty straight forward. Anotherthing I have contemplated is locking the bypass closed and using camshaft phasing for the bypass, as no one has seemed to mapped it for FI.
Im convinced youre a mad scientist

Deleted member 22728

I'll add another post to this thread, mainly to be as objective about the Hamburgers unit, for future viewers.

As to the supercharger, I've installed two; the initial version (minus tuner) in a 20' JLUR with 7 miles on the clock, and the subsequent (and current version minus tuner) in a 20' JTR with about 2k on the odometer. Both vehicles were lifted @ 2.5" with the Currie/RJ arms/links/bars/springs etc. setup, 35" tires, stock gearing. In both units, with the first being one of my own Jeeps, the installation was completed successfully without incident. Both units perform as the vendor advertises, which is very satisfactory.

I will amend the "out the door" price to say that there are details that I address with the installation that add about 2.5 to the labor element. Specifically, I prefer to evacuate the HVAC system, completely remove the condenser, trim the three mounting tabs off while on the bench, clean the corners, sand, and repaint the unit. I remove the LF fender completely, as to facilitate easier access for mounting the traction fluid reservoir, lines/filter, and final tightening of the banjo bolts, which must be clocked properly. I prefer using stainless steel single-ear type clamps to give it the OE look. I also hit the charge air cooler clamps with some chassis black, just to further fade the CAC into the black background of the cooling package. Additionally, I recommend you go ahead and order the add-on traction fluid cooler relocation kit, which locates the heat exchanger to the right inner frame rail (mandatory with most aftermarket bumpers or stock steel with winch). In the end, what you have is an installation the looks like it is OE, yet provides the necessary boosted performance.

The OP stated that, IIRC, that there were problems like lights/gauges/etc. malfunctioning. It is my guess that these are network-related issues, that are not necessarily related to the supercharger package. There are threads, including one I've commented on, that detail network crashes, and the root failure to the actual twisted pair bus.

So what does all of this mean? The Hamburgers supercharger is very well thought-out, constructed, and integrated into the existing 3.6L bay. You MUST run AT A BARE MINIMUM 91 octane pump, 93 is ideal. Be patient when bleeding and priming the unit with traction fluid, and allow 5-7 drive cycles in order for the powertrain module to run IM240 monitors, and build a stable adaptive to the operator. And enjoy the ride!

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
This is exactly why $4000 to upgrade to the diesel is well worth it.

Sponsored

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
Fasterproms is on the other coast, by cheaper than a hemi.
Of course,. there is a small chance that the hemi was what you really wanted to begin with?

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers
Ive got so many questions. “No one in my area had hp tuners” huh? Its everywhere.

“Problems. All kinds?” What happened?” “Problems” ok....

“No one would work on it” ........ok

“Im ready to sue everyone on the planet because of how sure i am of my case, but ill just drop $35k on a hemi instead.”

I wonder if @itsdapk can shed any light on this because im ĂĽber curious what the rest of the story is.
We gave the shop a list of things to check for us to figure out what was wrong. They didn't respond for weeks. We emailed and called them. We also found issues with using cores for ecus. So we either use only the original ecu or a brand new one due to random things occurring with HP unlocks. Anytime someone has a issue, we are on it almost immediately. My cell phone is on till 10pm 7 days a week. 95% of the problems have absolutely nothing to do with the supercharger. We can't troubleshoot over the phone without a datalog. I know many tuners around the country and many shops would do me a solid and do a log for me at no charge. Or I possibly would pay for it in some circumstances. I know most shops in FL as well and been in the tuning business from 2005-2015 working for Diablo, SCT, Edge and Superchips.
We have found in some installs from the factory pins are loose and not fully locked down and pins were pushed in.
We have over 100 Gladiators running our kits around the world. We have seen most issues and have certain steps to narrow down problems to get what causing a problem. But when we do not get all the info it makes it almost impossible to to troubleshoot.

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
This is exactly why $4000 to upgrade to the diesel is well worth it.
Until you have diesel problems. It's a matter of when, not if. I've visited hundreds of shops in my 20 years in the diesel and performance industry. Your diesel will cost you 2-3x price of having your gas vehicle worked on.

Reactions: Mac

Deleted member 22728

We gave the shop a list of things to check for us to figure out what was wrong. They didn't respond for weeks. We emailed and called them. We also found issues with using cores for ecus. So we either use only the original ecu or a brand new one due to random things occurring with HP unlocks. Anytime someone has a issue, we are on it almost immediately. My cell phone is on till 10pm 7 days a week. 95% of the problems have absolutely nothing to do with the supercharger. We can't troubleshoot over the phone without a datalog. I know many tuners around the country and many shops would do me a solid and do a log for me at no charge. Or I possibly would pay for it in some circumstances. I know most shops in FL as well and been in the tuning business from 2005-2015 working for Diablo, SCT, Edge and Superchips.
We have found in some installs from the factory pins are loose and not fully locked down and pins were pushed in.
We have over 100 Gladiators running our kits around the world. We have seen most issues and have certain steps to narrow down problems to get what causing a problem. But when we do not get all the info it makes it almost impossible to to troubleshoot.
This is correct; Hamburgers has demonstrated very good, timely support for their product. But you have to understand, their system is an excellent product that integrates an advanced traction-drive compressor with, in this case, the Pentastar. It simply works, and does what is advertised.

That being said, I have to commend their techs and production shops. The YT's out there detailing their installations are informative and detailed, produced with an eye for attention to detail.

Finally, I have zero skin in the game, outside of my responsibilities as a (now) researcher and tinkerer. I do actively promote their products, because they work well and deliver excellent drivability. I personally enjoy installing the SC and systems. Example of their attention detail: The whole installation package, as delivered, is broken down into itemized, inventoried modules. Every last screw, wire tie, charge tube, you name it, in their own inventoried bags. This is the kind of product that I'll stand behind with confidence. And frankly, it's a good value in a legitimate power/performance adaptation. The 3.6 lives a normal unboosted life until you require it; drive it conservatively, it returns very-much OE performance. Upon tip-in, however, you know that just 2% more throttle request, and you're off like bat. Tip-out, instantly docile again. The boost track feedback loop works so quickly, you barely have time to think about the action working - it just does.

These are good folks and I respect them, and their product, and do not hesitate to recommend it.

EDIT: Syntax

Jeep Gladiator Supercharger Story IMG_4144

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
We also found issues with using cores for ecus. So we either use only the original ecu or a brand new one due to random things occurring with HP unlocks.
So you are recommending if someone has a used ECU they intend to have flashed to their vehicle and use it for the supercharger, don't?

Just want to clarify, I have one enroute to me, should I save myself the headache?

Sponsored

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
So you are recommending if someone has a used ECU they intend to have flashed to their vehicle and use it for the supercharger, don't?

Just want to clarify, I have one enroute to me, should I save myself the headache?
Honestly yes to cut out any random things popping up during unlock. It may have been corrected, But from a company standpoint we only send back the same ecu or someone buys a new one. We have the turnaround down to 3-4 days.
Most weird ecu issues with cores have been fixed with a new blank ecu flashed with your vin and the SC file.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
From what I can gather, from the stuff I have looked at, there is about 30 plus operating systems between the JL and the Gladiator. I couldn't tell you the difference between them all, but the big stuff is torque demand and misfire detection. On top of that I do not think thereis a way to reset the adaptives for anything, especially the throttle. Whereever it is saved at is still there after an entire write. The closest I can get to changing adaptives to go in the right direction is using a series of files with agressive adaptive settings and super high or low settings I know truck will run on, not well, but enough to get it trending in the right direction. Then I load back the calibration I wanna use and ease up on the adaptive learning. I think a star scan can do it but my dealer would not try it for me.

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
Until you have diesel problems. It's a matter of when, not if. I've visited hundreds of shops in my 20 years in the diesel and performance industry. Your diesel will cost you 2-3x price of having your gas vehicle worked on.
It wont cost me anything till its out of warranty and even then a new motor costs similar to a supercharger for the mini van motor. Faced with the option of supercharging a lackluster motor, spending 30k for a mediocre v8 swap that voids all warranties or possibly dealing with unknown ”diesel issues”, I’ll take my chances with the diesel.

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland

Do you have this supercharger kit in stock and ready to ship for the Gladiator? If not in stock, what is your ETA on it? Also, do you have any reputable installers in the Tampa FL area that you work with? Thank you. Trying to decide which supercharger I want.

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
This is correct; Hamburgers has demonstrated very good, timely support for their product. But you have to understand, their system is an excellent product that integrates an advanced traction-drive compressor with, in this case, the Pentastar. It simply works, and does what is advertised.

That being said, I have to commend their techs and production shops. The YT's out there detailing their installations are informative and detailed, produced with an eye for attention to detail.

Finally, I have zero skin in the game, outside of my responsibilities as a (now) researcher and tinkerer. I do actively promote their products, because they work well and deliver excellent drivability. I personally enjoy installing the SC and systems. Example of their attention detail: The whole installation package, as delivered, is broken down into itemized, inventoried modules. Every last screw, wire tie, charge tube, you name it, in their own inventoried bags. This is the kind of product that I'll stand behind with confidence. And frankly, it's a good value in a legitimate power/performance adaptation. The 3.6 lives a normal unboosted life until you require it; drive it conservatively, it returns very-much OE performance. Upon tip-in, however, you know that just 2% more throttle request, and you're off like bat. Tip-out, instantly docile again. The boost track feedback loop works so quickly, you barely have time to think about the action working - it just does.

These are good folks and I respect them, and their product, and do not hesitate to recommend it.

EDIT: Syntax

Jeep Gladiator Supercharger Story IMG_4144
Great post. This is exactly what I was waiting for someone to say. For those of us that are a bit technically unaware the big sticking point is: Who is going to install it without screwing things up and if something does go wrong will the company offer support.
Sponsored