Supercharger towing

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I know several have installed superchargers on their Gladiators. What I want to know is. If you do any towing did it help or not really make a difference? If you do what is your setup as there will be a noticeable difference between stock setups and lifted with tires and such.
Sponsored

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
I tow short distances fairly often. A 4,500# boat and miscellaneous trips with a utility or flatbed trailer. Without a supercharger, I was quite discouraged with the Gladiator power with and without a trailer. I have an Overland with 33" tires and the 3.73 gears. My grip is that from 25% to 100% throttle, there was no real difference. Gutless, as I say.

I wish they would have put a different motor in the Gladiator. So I installed the Hamburger supercharger. I am glad I did, it performs much better daily driving and especially with the trailer. For normal acceleration, I don't flog the truck so I see 1.5 - 2.0 Psi and I am pretty happy with that. I've seen up to 8psi at upper RPM on full throttle. Needless to say, the belt-driven snail makes a noticeable difference driving at cruising speed and especially getting up to speed.

Was I happy with the NA gasser? No! Would I have entertained the DIesel? Yes. Would I have considered a V8? Yes.

Am I happy with the Supercharger? YES!

The Gladiator has a character not achievable in other trucks and I am happy with it now. Without the supercharger, it would have been a mediocre experience, at best.

I have no bad or negative things to say about Hamburger's system. It would be interesting to drive a roots SC with a trailer though.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
crdouglas3, thank you, good info. Giving your experiences with towing with and without is what I needed.
Yes I was upset that after 6 weeks of getting my Gladiator they opened the '21 ordering offering the diesel and that is what I wanted. But after how long it took to get the diesel into the JI I was afraid it would take who knew how long, so I got one when I did and then there they are. Oh well will make the best of what I have, right?
Hope to hear from a Magnuson owner on this subject also.

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
crdouglas3, thank you, good info. Giving your experiences with towing with and without is what I needed.
Yes I was upset that after 6 weeks of getting my Gladiator they opened the '21 ordering offering the diesel and that is what I wanted. But after how long it took to get the diesel into the JI I was afraid it would take who knew how long, so I got one when I did and then there they are. Oh well will make the best of what I have, right?
Hope to hear from a Magnuson owner on this subject also.
I just made a couple hour round trip towing. Highway speeds up to 80, stop and go, short on ramps, etc. Probably about 4500lb on the trailer with another 500 in the bed. I am really happy with the results. As happy as I could be staring with the 3.6 lug. I don't have the Rubicon so I'm running 3.73 gears.

Here is the setup
Jeep Gladiator Supercharger towing 20200823_143101

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
crdouglas3 thanks again for the update. I now have a Magnuson on the way! Can not wait to see how it does.

Reactions: DC3

Sponsored

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
crdouglas3 thanks again for the update. I now have a Magnuson on the way! Can not wait to see how it does.
Definitely update when you get it installed. I have heard amazing things about the hamburger SC but heard nearly nothing about other brands.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Definitely update when you get it installed. I have heard amazing things about the hamburger SC but heard nearly nothing about other brands.
Will do.

Yes I have heard good things on Hamburger, but also on the Magnuson. I went back and forth trying to decide. Ultimately it came down to not having to move the alternator, which probably really does not matter for longevity of the alternator, the cutting of the air box, although they supposedly have a formed cover now for that opening. Still have to cut the box. The cutting of the radiator supports for the larger air tubes to fit through, Magnuson requires cutting in the same area but for only 3/4" hoses to fit through. Last is I like the water to air setup over the air to air, just me.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I have done a fair bit of towing with my Jeep. It has the Magnuson set up. I have absolutely no power complaints. With the load in the picture it will get up and boogy. It started life as a max tow sonit has 4.10 gears. It will hold 7th on flat land but likes to ride in 6th. I think 4.88 gears would Llow it to ride like the trailer does not exist. With that said it does 70 in the hills no issue and my buddies with half tons are stunned they have to keep up with me in the way to the trails. Oh and I get the best parking spots cause my rig can go to the parking areas the civilized trucks can't :)
Jeep Gladiator Supercharger towing 20200223_172951
Jeep Gladiator Supercharger towing 20200223_164131

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
im sure the magnuson tvs1900 will void all drive train electrical and emissions warranties only one left would be rust . waiting for my 36k to run out on my max tow , glad i didnt spent 4k on the extended warranty the dealer couldnt believe i didnt purchase it i said "is it covered when i pull out the lot and it blows up , Yes its covered but you financed it 7 years " 1/2 way paid off in 4 months . No issues with overheating on the max tow ? no issues with the trans im pulling 6k to 7k with the hammer down on the interstate?

Last edited:

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I pull at 70 turning about 2500 rpm in sixth and less than that in 7th of course, on flat ground. I see possibly a couple degrees more on trans temp, but nothing significant enough to completely convince me it is because I am towing.

Last edited:

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
I pull at 70 turning about 2500 rpm in sixth and less than that in 7th of course, on flat ground. I see possibly a couple degrees more on trans temp, bit nothing sognifocant enoigh ro completely convince me it is because I am towing.
Sponsored