First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (09-14-3pm) ; Kubota 2910 Tractor; 1964 BP-1
Occupation
Retired, thank God
Dust some Comet down the intake. That’ll seat the rings.....
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Dust some Comet down the intake. That’ll seat the rings.....
That's a 1940s fix - I saw a guy do it back in about 1980 on a 1950s Chevy that had a rebuilt engine that still consumed some oil.

That's something I just won't do.

Bama_Swampfox

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, thank God
That's a 1940s fix - I saw a guy do it back in about 1980 on a 1950s Chevy that had a rebuilt engine that still consumed some oil.

That's something I just won't do.
Yep, not something I’d recommend. Along with draining the oil, filling the crankcase with kerosene to free up stuck rings. And not to forget shoving bananas in the diff to quiet gear whine....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, not something I’d recommend. Along with draining the oil, filling the crankcase with kerosene to free up stuck rings. And not to forget shoving bananas in the diff to quiet gear whine....
Then after a few days you have all sorts of people staring at the differential wondering why all the flies........

Funny thing about kerosene - when I first started my own shop back in the 70s (I was 16 at the time) I didn't have the money or space for a regular parts cleaning tank and solvent. So I used buckets of kerosene - it was cheap, something like 15 CENTS a gallon.
Trust me, the fact is that kerosene is a very limited cleaner and it will not remove the varnish and hard deposits that form in the ring grooves and on the rings. So there's another myth.
It would wash the cylinder walls for sure because the rings would act like scrub brushes and scrape them clean, but if the rings were stuck in the ring grooves, not a lot of good in many cases.

You would really have to run it a while and get it hot to do much good - and then, you risk damage, fire, ring destruction.
Even today I have troubles getting some of the crud unstuck using regular parts solvent - and in some cases, that nasty carburetor cleaner bucket the parts have to sit a while to do good.

Bama_Swampfox

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, thank God
Then after a few days you have all sorts of people staring at the differential wondering why all the flies........

Funny thing about kerosene - when I first started my own shop back in the 70s (I was 16 at the time) I didn't have the money or space for a regular parts cleaning tank and solvent. So I used buckets of kerosene - it was cheap, something like 15 CENTS a gallon.
Trust me, the fact is that kerosene is a very limited cleaner and it will not remove the varnish and hard deposits that form in the ring grooves and on the rings. So there's another myth.
It would wash the cylinder walls for sure because the rings would act like scrub brushes and scrape them clean, but if the rings were stuck in the ring grooves, not a lot of good in many cases.

You would really have to run it a while and get it hot to do much good - and then, you risk damage, fire, ring destruction.
Even today I have troubles getting some of the crud unstuck using regular parts solvent - and in some cases, that nasty carburetor cleaner bucket the parts have to sit a while to do good.
Years ago I did have some luck with Marvel Mystery oil. Helped keep the mosquitoes down too....

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Years ago I did have some luck with Marvel Mystery oil. Helped keep the mosquitoes down too....
We used MMO a lot. We even put it in gas tanks at times. We had it actually quiet noisy lifters - and if it didn't work, then we knew it was time for some real work.
We also took care of some pinging or rattling using a Coke bottle filled with water - start engine, warm it up good, air cleaner off, hold throttle with one hand while slowly pouring water down the carb throat with the other - keep the engine running - just fast enough it wouldn't die. Then when there was just a little water left pour quickly and let the engine die.
Let it sit a while then take it out on the highway and romp it.
It steam cleaned the carbon out - which was usually the cause of the pre-ignition, or in some cases, there was enough carbon build up it was smacking the carbon between the piston and head. They'd start easier and the ping was gone.

I rebuilt the engine in a 30s Chevy for a customer and it had babbitt bearings - I needed to shim the bearings to take out the wear and I asked my boss for some shim stock - I only needed a VERY small thickness. All of the shims were out between the caps and there was still a little bit much bearing clearance and we didn't have the ability to pour babbitt bearings. (I have the instructions on doing it as all of my antique engines have poured babbitt bearings but so far each has had enough shims left I could simply pull out a shim or two to take out the extra clearance and I don't run them under load so they'll last another century)
Anyway, my boss, then in his 60s, went up to the parts department where a couple of smokers worked and asked for one of their cigarette packages. He took the cellophane off and handed it to me..
I had this look that prompted him to show me - he cut the cellophane into strips and put it behind the babbitt in top of the mains (in the block). He said his father taught him that in the Model A and Model T days and he never had one fail.
I had my doubts but hey, he was the boss and it was HIS money backing this thing should it fail!
I worked there several more years and that customer never had troubles with that engine.

Gladiator Rube

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Owner
Still trying to get FCA to buy back this Junker. Brought the vehicle in four times for the same CEL and Start/Stop light. The issue has not been resolved. The vehicle still has the exact same issue each time that I bring the vehicle in and the dealer cannot fix it. I have emailed the Customer Care requesting that the vehicle be bought back since it does not work . I did this again on 8/6/2020, 9/2/2020,9/4/2020, 9/10/2020, 9/14/2020 and 9/23/2020. I have received no response from the FCA Getting an attorney.

Attachments

IMG_8329.jpg

asid181

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Brought mine in for the 2nd time. Dealership had the truck for 6 days and only attempted to "reconfigure the system". They put about 50 miles on it so i know they test drove it. The service manager said that he has seen this issue before and to keep driving it. He said that once I ran a few more tanks through it that the problem would fix itself. Got a block down the street and the CEL and ESS came back on! Unbelievable.

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
na
Still trying to get FCA to buy back this Junker. Brought the vehicle in four times for the same CEL and Start/Stop light. The issue has not been resolved. The vehicle still has the exact same issue each time that I bring the vehicle in and the dealer cannot fix it. I have emailed the Customer Care requesting that the vehicle be bought back since it does not work . I did this again on 8/6/2020, 9/2/2020,9/4/2020, 9/10/2020, 9/14/2020 and 9/23/2020. I have received no response from the FCA Getting an attorney.

Attachments

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues IMG_8329
Lloyd, did they ever verbally agree to move your case to the buyback/swap phase?

Fdisker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Damn thought it was good and after 2 weeks to the day Boom getting ready for work and from a cold start misfire turned truck off restarted and no CEL just the auto start light so guess i need to call dealer again this is frustrating because i love my Gladiator

Sponsored

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Even with the cold morning temps lately (sometimes just above freezing) no CEL or ESS messages have returned since the software update was done. Even went back to another full tank of 87 to see if that would help get the CEL but nope! Knock on wood it's fixed for good.

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Quick update - mine has the 'service auto start stop' light going on and off, but no CEL has been thrown again since my last appointment. Still driving it as normal.

lewishouse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow
For those that have filed for the lemon law in your state, did you call FCA first, get an attorney, or send a certified letter? I've reached the end of my patience.

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
For those that have filed for the lemon law in your state, did you call FCA first, get an attorney, or send a certified letter? I've reached the end of my patience.
I have done everything through FCA. The requisition team usually gets involved when they know for certain that the rig fully qualifies for the lemon law.

They are building me a new Gladiator now so when it arrives, I will see my offer. Hope that helps.

lewishouse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow
Thanks for the reply. So they won't give you the offer up front?
Sponsored