Sponsored

Survey- For those with misfire issues

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I’ve been following but have not posted in a while. My 2nd Gladiator now has right at 2000 miles on it and I haven’t had the first light or other problem yet. I rode 12 hrs in it last weekend and spent 2 hours on an ORV beach. This is a good sign except I’m seeing on the thread that there are now July, August and September 2020 build dates affected. Is that correct? Those are actual build dates and not purchase dates? That’s scary for the whole 2020 model year.
Sponsored

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Put around 500km on the Jeep now since having the flash done and still no CEL or ESS errors. Thought it might have been because of the 93 octane fuel I had in it so I put in some 87 a few days ago but still no returning CEL. Hoping it's fixed for good... seems to be running well now.
Hoping it is fixed because here in Canada, FCA doesn't get involved in buy-backs. It's at the dealership level and of course they don't want to take a vehicle back. Complete BS.

ebayy

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build date: 08 2020 (Not sure what day, I have a loaner currently cant look)
Mileage when it first occurred: ~1000
How many times has it occurred: 2
What exact codes did it throw: P0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Dealership in talks with FCA, Asked if I fuled up on the day it occured
Was the issue ever fully resolved? N
Dealer just called repoted that they are waiting for a a software update from FCA with a new TSB to be coming out later this year. So now I have my car back with the check engine light coming and going on its own and the auto start stop randomly turning off on its own.

Fdisker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Just a follow up been 10 days since my PCM was re flashed and no misfires noted before the PCM was done it was becoming a daily thing.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
I’ve been following but have not posted in a while. My 2nd Gladiator now has right at 2000 miles on it and I haven’t had the first light or other problem yet. I rode 12 hrs in it last weekend and spent 2 hours on an ORV beach. This is a good sign except I’m seeing on the thread that there are now July, August and September 2020 build dates affected. Is that correct? Those are actual build dates and not purchase dates? That’s scary for the whole 2020 model year.
The flash updates should have all been cut-in to the factory builds at this point so it'll be interesting to see if the problem(s) persist with the 21's.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The flash updates should have all been cut-in to the factory builds at this point so it'll be interesting to see if the problem(s) persist with the 21's.
The problem is that it's not all one source as far as the symptoms. The flash will fix many, likely most, but there will still be some with VVL or VVT issues as has been proven here.
We don't know if the PCM problem caused other physical issues later - like cylinder damage (I say it did in some cases - so it wasn't originally an engine physical issue).
I'm going to give my educated guess as - this PCM fix in the 2021 will reduce the actual engine issues to a very very small number. 2021 will be a lot better as far as engine-related issues.
The engine itself didn't change for the JT but the PCM did.
The same engine is used in multiple vehicles - it's the PCM that's a bigger difference, because it's a truck.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
The problem is that it's not all one source as far as the symptoms. The flash will fix many, likely most, but there will still be some with VVL or VVT issues as has been proven here.
We don't know if the PCM problem caused other physical issues later - like cylinder damage (I say it did in some cases - so it wasn't originally an engine physical issue).
I'm going to give my educated guess as - this PCM fix in the 2021 will reduce the actual engine issues to a very very small number. 2021 will be a lot better as far as engine-related issues.
The engine itself didn't change for the JT but the PCM did.
The same engine is used in multiple vehicles - it's the PCM that's a bigger difference, because it's a truck.
Agree. Following the various threads it appears there are multiple issues at play but I'd classify them into two main buckets, the first being those related to the PCM fix(es) (non-mechanical) and then those caused by engine manufacturing quality problems (cylinder scoring?). My expectation is that FCA quickly identified the effected date codes and corrected the manufacturing process issue(s). The flash fixes are more nebulous but there too, I expect FCA engineers likely root caused the main issue(s) (w/ the previous maps, timing, SW code, etc.) and addressed them with the latest updates. My hope is most of these problems will have been resolved in the 21's. :fingerscrossed:

Last edited:

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Have an appointment for 9/21. Will try to get a code readout before than. Question - is it safe to drive with this CEL light 400 miles? I am in the OBX, the truck seems to be running ok, no hesitation, no stumbling.
Confirmed multiple cylinder misfire codes by dealer. The truck is in service and will post build information as soon as I get it back. No CEL light since OBX.

Build date 12/05/2019 525AM
first and only occurrence at 2100 miles, no issues since at 3200 miles. Performed software update today.

Last edited:

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
How does one do a hard decel? Manual downshifting?

Sponsored

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
I am surprised they noted that.
How does one do a hard decel? Manual downshifting?
Om my second time in, I was told that they had been advised to go through several rough accel, decel cycles as if to try and set rings that were not fully seated.

Sounded weird to me but they never documented it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am surprised they noted that.
Om my second time in, I was told that they had been advised to go through several rough accel, decel cycles as if to try and set rings that were not fully seated.

Sounded weird to me but they never documented it.
If those rings aren't already "seated" - it's a bit late. Glazing and other issues will be present.
That's such an old-fashioned belief that on an engine with hundreds of miles on it that you can fix the rings that way.
According to DANA/Perfect Circle, they are broken in within the first 100 miles.

To me it acknowledges that they believe there's a physical issue - rings are not round or the cylinder is not round.
A compression test then a leak-down test would confirm any ring issues.

Further, it's the full load higher gear acceleration that forces the rings out against the cylinder.
Pressure DIFFERENCES force the rings outward, so you want really high combustion pressures, seen with heavy throttle high gear accelerations. Since you can't get more than 30" of vacuum, that's not a lot of pressure difference between the crankcase and the chamber.

Maybe I need to show some of these guys the books I have that discuss this - from the engineers at Dana and GM and other companies.

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
If those rings aren't already "seated" - it's a bit late. Glazing and other issues will be present.
That's such an old-fashioned belief that on an engine with hundreds of miles on it that you can fix the rings that way.
According to DANA/Perfect Circle, they are broken in within the first 100 miles.

To me it acknowledges that they believe there's a physical issue - rings are not round or the cylinder is not round.
A compression test then a leak-down test would confirm any ring issues.

Further, it's the full load higher gear acceleration that forces the rings out against the cylinder.
Pressure DIFFERENCES force the rings outward, so you want really high combustion pressures, seen with heavy throttle high gear accelerations. Since you can't get more than 30" of vacuum, that's not a lot of pressure difference between the crankcase and the chamber.

Maybe I need to show some of these guys the books I have that discuss this - from the engineers at Dana and GM and other companies.
It's not the shops making this up. They are getting orders from enginerds in FCA corporate!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's not the shops making this up. They are getting orders from enginerds in FCA corporate!
That's scary. It's grasping at straws, IMO, unless they showed a compression loss - or higher than normal leakage past the rings in a leak-down test. Still, expecting that to resolve the issue is really odd. I expect that sort of response years ago.

What the heck - take the thing up to speed and force a downshift and wind that puppy up and peg the vacuum gauge a few times............ get it over with so they can fix it.

Bama_Swampfox

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (09-14-3pm) ; Kubota 2910 Tractor; 1964 BP-1
Occupation
Retired, thank God
Dust some Comet down the intake. That’ll seat the rings.....
Sponsored