Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Oil leaks can cause all the descriptions I'm hearing.
No, they can't - not the tick, and not all misfires.
Oil leaks would only cause issues if the oil hit the O2 sensor and through the readings off. Otherwise, external oil leaks won't do anything but make a mess. The only way a misfire could be caused is by "shorting" a sensor (and it wouldn't be a short, it would reduce the resistance of the sensor circuit)

Only a very few misfires would be oil leak related, and only if the oil hit the O2 sensor.
Oil leaks won't cause the ticking heard that is related to the valve train issues - valve train issues that can cause not just the noise, but misfires if the wear/damage is bad enough.
Sponsored

Deleted member 39643

No, they can't - not the tick, and not all misfires.
I see what your saying, what if the oil is leaking internally into the cylinders thou? I've seen some nasty stuff with BMW valve cover leaks causing all kinds of havoc.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I see what your saying, what if the oil is leaking internally into the cylinders thou? I've seen some nasty stuff with BMW valve cover leaks causing all kinds of havoc.
Valve covers can't leak into cylinders. Valve cover gaskets can only leak onto the outside of the engine.
The only way for oil to get into the cylinders is through the PCV into the intake, bad rings, bad valve seals (and in odd situations, a head gasket)

Valve covers are external covers - they have nothing to do with the operation of the engine, or any internal parts.

Here's an example - this is a 4.0 but it's the same concept - the orange are the roller rocker arms I used on this engine I built.
The valve cover goes over the valves/springs and rockers and keeps oil in the engine, and from spraying out all over, and keeps dirt out.
You could technically run it without a valve cover........or with a very leaky valve cover gasket, and nothing would happen but make a mess of oil all over the outside of the engine.
There's just no way for a valve cover leak to allow oil into a cylinder.

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues eagle-jeep-rockers-002

And one of the valve covers on another car I have - if it leaked it would let oil run out all over the spark plugs, plug wires and onto the headers, making a really stinky mess, but with zero impact to running, and no oil can get into the cylinders this way -
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 1665013255072

Valve covers have nothing to do with the cylinders, and can't allow oil to get into the cylinders.
If they leak, things get messy, but on the outside of the engine.

Ducked

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Another update..... they started replacing the cam and found damage to rocker arms and lifters. Started to change the one out and found more damage to another. Have to replace the whole right side. Should be done with it today as long ad they don't find anything else that is wrong. This dealership has been an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Ducked

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Got it back from the shop. They replaced whole right side can, rocker arms and lifters. So far so good. Now throwing the p420 code. Something to do with catalytic system. Could be 02 sensors, could be all kinds of things from what I read so gonna call shop again.

Nreplacing the right side got rid of the ticking and everything else that was going on.
If you are having this issue in or around louisiana I highly recommend Mark dodge in lake charles

Sponsored

D_Acord

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK 2 Door Silver
Build date: 12-21

Mileage when it first occurred: +/-433

How many times has it occurred: So many I have lost count

What exact codes did it throw: P0300

Is the issue on going? Yes

If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Was told to wait on Engineering for a fix

Was the issue ever fully resolved? No

I really love this truck, but this is getting a little out of hand. The truck threw a CEL on delivery, with a dealership employee driving the truck. I was made aware of the issue prior to signing the final paperwork and was told it had to do with the radio. They said the code was cleared on the interstate entrance ramp and was fine for the remainder drive to the dealership (about a hour drive). Not even a week later I was leaving the dealer after having a WV inspection sticker put on the truck and it had a violent engine misfire with a flashing CEL light. Pulled over and the shaking stopped, light went off and I drove it home with no more issues. The dealer had the truck for about 3 days or so and could not get it to repeat the engine misfire. Flash forwards a few months later, I experienced another violent engine misfire, pulled over and ran the Jscan to show the P0300 code. The engine returned to normal, and I drove back to work with no issues. After each incident I would call the dealer and they would ask for me to bring it and let them keep it for a few days but each time they could not find anything but stored codes. During one visit I was told the CEL would turn off after 3 on/off cycles and try to bring it in with a active CEL. So, I did and was told they were instructed to perform no repairs that Engineering was working on a fix. Also, worth mentioning that I would notice a flashing CEL from time to time with a normal feeling engine, but the CEL would go off. I have started to keep a diary so to speak of the conditions that will cause the CEL, weather it is flashing or solid and it seems to be with a warm engine at around 35 to 45 mph.

My main concern is that I am 16k miles on this truck that I purchased new in 2-22, what happens when I run out of the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty? @JeepCares

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Build date: 12-21

Mileage when it first occurred: +/-433

How many times has it occurred: So many I have lost count

What exact codes did it throw: P0300

Is the issue on going? Yes

If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Was told to wait on Engineering for a fix

Was the issue ever fully resolved? No

I really love this truck, but this is getting a little out of hand. The truck threw a CEL on delivery, with a dealership employee driving the truck. I was made aware of the issue prior to signing the final paperwork and was told it had to do with the radio. They said the code was cleared on the interstate entrance ramp and was fine for the remainder drive to the dealership (about a hour drive). Not even a week later I was leaving the dealer after having a WV inspection sticker put on the truck and it had a violent engine misfire with a flashing CEL light. Pulled over and the shaking stopped, light went off and I drove it home with no more issues. The dealer had the truck for about 3 days or so and could not get it to repeat the engine misfire. Flash forwards a few months later, I experienced another violent engine misfire, pulled over and ran the Jscan to show the P0300 code. The engine returned to normal, and I drove back to work with no issues. After each incident I would call the dealer and they would ask for me to bring it and let them keep it for a few days but each time they could not find anything but stored codes. During one visit I was told the CEL would turn off after 3 on/off cycles and try to bring it in with a active CEL. So, I did and was told they were instructed to perform no repairs that Engineering was working on a fix. Also, worth mentioning that I would notice a flashing CEL from time to time with a normal feeling engine, but the CEL would go off. I have started to keep a diary so to speak of the conditions that will cause the CEL, weather it is flashing or solid and it seems to be with a warm engine at around 35 to 45 mph.

My main concern is that I am 16k miles on this truck that I purchased new in 2-22, what happens when I run out of the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty? @JeepCares
If the issue was recorded - reported and the dealer knew, then you are covered. As long as a defect is reported and the dealer acknowledges it was reported and especially if you have paperwork, you are covered.

Mine flashed the light again today - I drove 20 minutes to Menards, was inside 10-15 minutes, came out and started it and started out of the lot, reached maybe 18 mph and it misfired.
I got to Walmart and parked, engine still running and used JSCAN to get the freeze frame info and it showed once again - bank 2, cylinders 2, 4 and 6, low speed/low rpm and so on. I have record of the number of misfires, and all of the parameters at the time, just like the prior times.
Cold it's fine. Fast on the road, it's fine. It's always a hot start and slow speed, low RPM seconds or a couple of minutes after the hot start.
Only one time could you really feel it badly. Today I could tell it was uneven, not firing right, but it wasn't shaking or "violent", and it settled down by itself and never set the light to ON.

Last edited:

Gladi_md

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Has anyone been successful with a buyback or lemon law claim? I’ve got a 2022 that’s been in service for about 35% of the time I’ve owned her, which has only been since September 1st! Im at 21 days now and it’s been in the shop this time since Monday, they haven’t even looked at it yet. I love her when she’s running right!

I’ve got all the symptoms mentioned by previous posts, just tired of the “ok, we’ve replaced this or that, that should fix her!” Only to have the CEL start flashing at me 100 or so miles later and as soon as she starts flashing, the engine runs rough and I start smelling fuel. 🤦‍♂️

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone been successful with a buyback or lemon law claim? I’ve got a 2022 that’s been in service for about 35% of the time I’ve owned her, which has only been since September 1st! Im at 21 days now and it’s been in the shop this time since Monday, they haven’t even looked at it yet. I love her when she’s running right!

I’ve got all the symptoms mentioned by previous posts, just tired of the “ok, we’ve replaced this or that, that should fix her!” Only to have the CEL start flashing at me 100 or so miles later and as soon as she starts flashing, the engine runs rough and I start smelling fuel. 🤦‍♂️
Doesn't take too much searching to find some who have done just that.
Best advice I can think of is for you to look up the lemon law for YOUR state and consult a pro/attorney.
Forum members are just going to give their opinions and share their anger and disgust with you. (No offense, but it often turns into a pile-on "you need to sue their asses!" and that sort of thing. )

Yes, there have been successes - that's a given even without looking.
Search 'maryland lemon law' and you'll get FACTS, and accurate legal information.
Never rely on forums or internet for legal advice.

https://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/Pages/CPD/lemon.aspx

https://mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/Pages/info/27300/27300-51T.aspx

Gladi_md

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Doesn't take too much searching to find some who have done just that.
Best advice I can think of is for you to look up the lemon law for YOUR state and consult a pro/attorney.
Forum members are just going to give their opinions and share their anger and disgust with you. (No offense, but it often turns into a pile-on "you need to sue their asses!" and that sort of thing. )

Yes, there have been successes - that's a given even without looking.
Search 'maryland lemon law' and you'll get FACTS, and accurate legal information.
Never rely on forums or internet for legal advice.

https://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/Pages/CPD/lemon.aspx

https://mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/Pages/info/27300/27300-51T.aspx
Thanks. 😁

Did the research 2 visits ago just to initially check what the process was. Seemed pretty straight forward. I guess my post was really just to see if people actually went through the process or stuck it out with the dealership. Most of the posts on this thread are deep into repairs when the vehicle is still under warranty but maybe they are also deep into mods on the Jeep and don’t want to give her up.

This is just me rambling while my jeep sits at the dealership’s service department not being worked on because they are too busy. Lol

Sponsored

Pglover91

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator sport s

I’m currently in the process of an alternative route called trade assistance. Basically the dealer takes it in on trade and FCA is supposed to cover the difference. This is my second attempt at this route and with a few more service visits and the announcement of a fix in the works(which I’m told they’re ready to try on my vehicle) I think it’ll get resolved. This option was at the discretion of my dealer though who has been working on this with me since the problem started in March.

I had a lemon law attorney on standby who REALLY wanted to take my case lol but I hate that option since I do love jeeps. Ended up building a new rubicon that they ordered while we’re going through this.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
How are these vehicles going to pass their Smog Checks when they are firing off these codes?

Eeeckman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
My thoughts too, I'm sure the techs are following a troubleshooting tree. I'm very happy with the service dept and their efforts - its one of those things that takes time to nail down.
After a year of on/off P300, my engine started making "valve" noises. Dealer investigated and found bad cams and lifters. Changed all and performed recall PCM updates. P0300 came back after 30 miles. Dealer investigated and determined the PCM needed to "learn" the new cams. Updated PCM for new cams and so far so good. Very happy with my dealers service team!

rjogren13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 hydro blue Gladiator Rubicon
Well, looks like I am in the club now as well. 21 gladiator rubicon 3.6 AT build date of 9-20. at 5500 miles and CEL, code reader shows p0302. I can feel it missing at idle. My dealer service is only open M-F, so it will be Monday before I can even get a chance to see when I can get it in. Starts missing a lot worse in gear with foot on the brake. Once it gets more rpm it goes away. But the code Is set hard. Already lost a week earlier this year for a radiator replacement at 2200 miles (original had a large separation where the plastic and metal were bonded). After reading all of these issues not feeling great, lots of issues for a brand new truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer investigated and determined the PCM needed to "learn" the new cams. Updated PCM for new cams and so far so good. Very happy with my dealers service team!
The odd misfire I had - which only happened at VERY specific times under very specific circumstances appears to have been fixed with mine - it was the CCDIFF learn was apparently not set and yet the first log I took after it happened said
CCDIFF Learn Status: Set
So don't know what happened.
Sponsored