Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
In contrast, I've bought over 15 new vehicles through the years of different manufacture and mostly from different dealers. Every single dealer offered a loaner, even for a simple oil change. My wife gets a loaner from Alfa every time she needs service.

So, I think if you come from a different manufacturer, you may be accustomed to them providing a loaner without even asking.

Many of us also have more than one vehicle. But, sometimes the logistics of getting home to drive another vehicle is the issue. For those that do not have another vehicle, I can see a long term repair with no loaner as an issue. Many owners are paying their loan while also then having to pay for a rental. This can be hard to swallow when you bought a brand new vehicle.
Again, even dealers who had loaners in the past may not have now. The Jeep dealership in Ankeny did it first come, first served and generally if you were there in the AM, you could get a loaner. In the past 12-18 months, however, being smaller, they ended up selling the vehicles used as loaners, the lot has few used cars at all, and the new ones come in spurts - they have but a couple left to loan.
So their customers accustomed to getting a loaner - times have changed. And again, even rental places won't always have cars for travelers. It's a different world today.

Maybe where some people live, neighbors and family members are real jerks, but where I live, if I needed to drop a vehicle off and get back home so I could drive one of my others - there's usually a neighbor to help. One even says "if you need my truck for something - just ask"
My wife's sister used to be on call much of the time (except her normal work hours) for rides to drop off a vehicle - that was until they had a falling out over their father and his care and Alzheimer's. (sis is being totally unreasonable, and a complete control freak).
So there's almost always been a way for us - friends, family, and there's my wife to meet me at the dealership with her Jeep to pick me up if I need to drop mine off and leave it.

Imagine the people of Florida, paying $1,000+ per month or much much more for a home they can't live in, insurance waits, destroyed vehicles - I guess too often we think of our own MINOR inconveniences, and that's all it is in the grand scheme of things, we gripe, we complain, we talk of unfair, of paying for something we can't use, and we don't look outside of our own house (or garage)
Be honest - it's a minor thing, not life and death, not the end of the world. We hate it, but we are spoiled, too, as Americans.
Sponsored

Snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Graphic designer
These are very different misfire issues. Very specific circumstances, not random, but certain events have to happen in the right order at the right time.
This isn't a cold misfire, happens only when hot and after being shut down for a certain length of time (or for enough time for certain things to take place,. like heat transfer, etc.)
I count this, so far, as a 2022 MY specific issue, not to be lumped in with every other misfire.
We've not seen this type on any 2020 model year, and my recollection indicated it wasn't happening in this way in the 2021 MY, either.

So we can't say "my truck misfired, what's the fix" like everyone seems to love to do.
The misfires for the 2020 models were extremely different as far as root causes.
We've seen one sort of misfire in past model years resolved by PCM flash - I'd not be surprised to see something similar happen here due to the circumstances I've experienced personally, and all of my logging.
My 22 falls into your category. Two flashing CELs when driving off (under 15mph), after the vehicle has been parked after being fully heated up on a drive. Both times were almost identical situations, flashing CEL comes on briefly then goes off. Jeep never runs rough. Both times P0300.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My 22 falls into your category. Two flashing CELs when driving off (under 15mph), after the vehicle has been parked after being fully heated up on a drive. Both times were almost identical situations, flashing CEL comes on briefly then goes off. Jeep never runs rough. Both times P0300.
That's it. That makes it what, 4 now with the same symptoms?
Cold start - FINE.
Start it and drive it until thoroughly warmed up or hot, park it a couple of hours - fine.
Start it and drive it a short ways, park it a few minutes (under 15) and come back out and start it - fine.
Start it and drive it until thoroughly hot/warmed up in every way, stop, park it for 30-40 minutes (roughly speaking) and come back out - bingo, CEL, ding ding, etc. It may or may not set the CEL. I've had it set the CEL and I've had it not set it, but flash at me, then go away. Only 2 times was it rough running and one of those times it was bucking badly but settled down after about a minute and then we drove on and it was fine for 2,000 miles.

It's got to be totally and thoroughly warmed up. Not hot as if over-heated, not hot as in danger, but hot as in a 30 minute drive so everything is up to operating temperature inside and out.
And it's got to be shut off and sitting for more than 10-15 minutes.
Shorter and it won't act up. Longer and it seems as if it's cooled down enough there's no problem.

Snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Graphic designer
That's it. That makes it what, 4 now with the same symptoms?
Cold start - FINE.
Start it and drive it until thoroughly warmed up or hot, park it a couple of hours - fine.
Start it and drive it a short ways, park it a few minutes (under 15) and come back out and start it - fine.
Start it and drive it until thoroughly hot/warmed up in every way, stop, park it for 30-40 minutes (roughly speaking) and come back out - bingo, CEL, ding ding, etc. It may or may not set the CEL. I've had it set the CEL and I've had it not set it, but flash at me, then go away. Only 2 times was it rough running and one of those times it was bucking badly but settled down after about a minute and then we drove on and it was fine for 2,000 miles.

It's got to be totally and thoroughly warmed up. Not hot as if over-heated, not hot as in danger, but hot as in a 30 minute drive so everything is up to operating temperature inside and out.
And it's got to be shut off and sitting for more than 10-15 minutes.
Shorter and it won't act up. Longer and it seems as if it's cooled down enough there's no problem.
exactly as you say. First time we had been driving around town in Florida. Vehicle was thoroughly warmed up. Went into a store for about 40 minutes, come out, started to drive out the lot and boom, starts flashing and dinging for less than five minutes. the second time 4K miles later almost the exact same scenario. I dont think it’s mechanical at all.

Ducked

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Update. Took back to the shop and dealer said there is NO fix as of right now. Told me to go ahead and purchase the extended warranty since I only have 900 miles left of my powertrain. They really do believe it is a software issue. Told me that I can drive it with the p300 code which goes against everything that i have read on the issue.
I was very impressed when I started discussing the issue. He knew exactly what I was talking about. I had to high five him. Everyone else made me think I was crazy. They had no idea what I was talking about. Told me I could take it home, no sense in leaving it as they have a running list of people with the same problems. Told them about the ticking noise and they told me to go ahead and leave it and they would go ahead and go through it. Also it would give us more documentation to go along with our case. We shall see what they tell us today.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Update. Took back to the shop and dealer said there is NO fix as of right now. Told me to go ahead and purchase the extended warranty since I only have 900 miles left of my powertrain. They really do believe it is a software issue. Told me that I can drive it with the p300 code which goes against everything that i have read on the issue.
I was very impressed when I started discussing the issue. He knew exactly what I was talking about. I had to high five him. Everyone else made me think I was crazy. They had no idea what I was talking about. Told me I could take it home, no sense in leaving it as they have a running list of people with the same problems. Told them about the ticking noise and they told me to go ahead and leave it and they would go ahead and go through it. Also it would give us more documentation to go along with our case. We shall see what they tell us today.

You should not have to buy an extended warranty. Did they give you a service invoice stating the above noted but not corrected pending a fix from Jeep? That should be enough to get your issue fixed after the mileage runs out on the current warranty.

Last edited:

Ducked

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
You should not have to buy an extended warranty. Did they give you a service invoice stating the above about noted but no corrected pending a fix from Jeep? That should be enough to get your issue fixed after the mileage runs out on the current warranty.
No but when I pick it up I will be sure to

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
No but when I pick it up I will be sure to
That is your prerogative. Just did not want you to think you had to for coverage of your current issues should your factory warranty expired.

Just make sure it is a Mopar offered one and not a third party one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I echo what Hootbro said. He's got a good head on his shoulders, he knows stuff.

Be careful with the "everything that I have read on the issue" bit. I drive mine with a P0300 code and have no fear of causing further "damage" or being stranded.
Not all misfires are the same.
However, since yours is a 2020 AND has a tick, then yeah, your misfire could be related to a physical issue.
Just don't lump every misfire into the same bucket.
2020 has issues that are more likely to be related to physical engine issues - cam, followers/rockers, and so on.
Other years, like the 2022, it's likely not physical and isn't likely to be an issue to continue driving it.
I guess I sort of cringe when I see words like "everything that I've read.........." because people on the web aren't mechanics, they aren't typically technical automotive people, and they simply repeat what they read.

The "tick" makes the difference - they aren't whisper quiet engines all the time (although mine have been), but they are quiet enough a tick usually indicates a physical engine condition that begs investigation.

Be careful of this sort of thing when "reading on the internet" or watching the, LOL, cough, laugh, experts on YT...........
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 274056048_10161444756840828_8872674504085741115_n

the tick makes yours something different than other P0300 misfires

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues Tick-Spoon

no, not that tick..........

sosomething

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Consultant
Please do update on what they find under the hood. My 2020 has the tick too and it's hard for me to figure that's due to a software issue.

To be clear, I think there can be 2 distinct things. The software issue probably does exist, and something else (likely a cam) is causing the tick.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Software is definitely an issue. More than one member has commented that the flash made things better in that regard.
But like said - it's not the tick problem.

Then we get to the 2022s which exhibit misfires but very different symptoms.

I have to laugh when I see someone say "FCA hasn't fixed the issue in a decade" and lumps all Jeep 3.6s together having the same "issue" and "that issue hasn't been fixed". And the law suites that lump 2011 with 2020 engines as having the same issue.
There are problems in the same area - but very different root causes.

But people like to ID things and put them in buckets - be it engine problems or people themselves.
I'm more of a root cause, or look at the individual type of person - no matter if that individual is an engine, transmission, or a person.
I hate lumping things into one bucket.

Ducked

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Ok. Just recieved a call from the shop. They said there is a TSB on this issue. Going to replace the right side camshaft an going to take a day to do it. We shall see if this fixes the problem. Fingers crossed it does.

Bama_Swampfox

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (09-14-3pm) ; Kubota 2910 Tractor; 1964 BP-1
Occupation
Retired, thank God
Ok. Just recieved a call from the shop. They said there is a TSB on this issue. Going to replace the right side camshaft an going to take a day to do it. We shall see if this fixes the problem. Fingers crossed it does.
This was the "fix" for my Jeep - 2020 Gladiator. Many, many, many CEL and ASS faults from 300 miles on, always occurring when just started, driving off, hot or cold, just off idle speed. At first the dealer tried reprogramming with no change.

Several visits with "no problem found". Finally the right side intake camshaft was replaced and no problems since - for almost 5,000 miles. Since the cam was replaced the idle is noticeably smoother too.

As many have said, all misfires are not caused by the same thing(s). Some are mechanical problems, like the cam. Others are software issues, electrical or fuel system related. There's no one solution for this kind of problem. A solid diagnostic procedure is almost always the best process and it sounds like your Gladiator is on the road to recovery! Let us know how it works out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This was the "fix" for my Jeep - 2020 Gladiator. Many, many, many CEL and ASS faults from 300 miles on, always occurring when just started, driving off, hot or cold, just off idle speed. At first the dealer tried reprogramming with no change.

Several visits with "no problem found". Finally the right side intake camshaft was replaced and no problems since - for almost 5,000 miles. Since the cam was replaced the idle is noticeably smoother too.

As many have said, all misfires are not caused by the same thing(s). Some are mechanical problems, like the cam. Others are software issues, electrical or fuel system related. There's no one solution for this kind of problem. A solid diagnostic procedure is almost always the best process and it sounds like your Gladiator is on the road to recovery! Let us know how it works out.
Interesting to note that when the bank 1 intake cam is replaced, the PCM needs to be updated. They say don't replace the cam on the 2020 without doing the update. So apparently there was more than one problem, otherwise, swapping out a cam, like for like, would require nothing more.

Deleted member 39643

I've gotten my valve cover gaskets and vvt solenoid gaskets replaced under warranty at 35k 1.5 years. Had some rough acelleration at times before hand. Oil leaks can cause all the descriptions I'm hearing. Still love the jeep though, just not sure about reliability or costs.
Sponsored