Sponsored

Survey- For those with misfire issues

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
So for those who have had their Gladiator replaced and got a second CEL issue what happened? Would you (could you) try to get a third? (Or second replacement?)
Sponsored

P.Lo

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I am curious, is the 3.6L Pentastar® V6 ONLY used in the Jeep Gladiator in 2020?

Sport / Overland / and Rubicon all the same?

And if it is used in the Wranglers and other models, (I'm not on that other forum), are they reporting the same issues?

One of the selling points on the Gladiator for me, was the reliability and past history of this motor being a solid bullet.
This is so odd that they can't find a common denominator among these failed motors.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I am curious, is the 3.6L Pentastar® V6 ONLY used in the Jeep Gladiator in 2020?

And if it is used in the Wranglers and other models, (I'm not on that other forum), are they reporting the same issues?

One of the selling points on the Gladiator for me, was the reliability and past history of this motor being a solid bullet.
This is so odd that they can't find a common denominator among these failed motors.
It's rare for a misfire to be mechanical but it is certainly possible. I still think that wiring harnesses would fix a majority of these intermittant misfires. The Fiat harnesses are junk.

Maldo94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Personal Trainer
I purchased my Gladiator Overland 06/12/220, it had 6 miles on it. Love the vehicle more every day.

But since about day 1 or 2, I have noticed a "hiccup" when accelerating, in the 35-50 mph range or so. I thought it was a misfire, since I got them fairly recently in my 14 year old Infinity SUV and am familiar with the sensation. But I thought to myself, "surely this new vehicle isn't misfiring".

I will say that I've been turning off the Auto Start/Stop from day 1. I never cared for the feature. So I'll leave it on from now on to see how the Jeep does in its default mode.

Is this what some of you started feeling initially? It's definitely a subtle sensation, but a hiccup nonetheless. I'm just a bit concerned this is the beginning of what I've been seeing on this thread. Any insight is appreciated, thank you!

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
So for those who have had their Gladiator replaced and got a second CEL issue what happened? Would you (could you) try to get a third? (Or second replacement?)
I ordered a second one. If this one comes out bad I’m pretty much done with Jeep.

Sponsored

Gameshow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S

All of the Gladiator models have the same engine, although this is the 3rd version of the Pentastar line. There are posters on this thread with each of the main three models, Sport S, Overland and Rubicon - all the same issue. Others have said that some changes were made due to the engine for towing capability, etc., but I'm not familiar with that. Also, while I'm not aware of other models experiencing this issue (I don't spend much time on the Wrangler Forum now that I traded mine on a Gladiator), the service department at my dealership did say they had a Wrangler in with the exact same issue. Could be coincidence.

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
It's rare for a misfire to be mechanical but it is certainly possible. I still think that wiring harnesses would fix a majority of these intermittant misfires. The Fiat harnesses are junk.
so I was told by a master tech at my dealership. That even though this engine is the pentastar in the JK it’s not the same engine. They added a timing to the valve timing system in the engine to make it more efficient. Ideally the thought of it is that it will use less gas when its on the highway. According to him it didn’t not follow the same test cycle as other engines or Jeep just didn’t care. I high recommend that you don’t drive with it. I did and it end up messing up the engine(Sounded like diesel) and it got the engine replaced. Still didn’t feel comfortable with the Jeep. So I went through the lemon process

Gladiator Rube

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Owner
Well, add me to the list. Thanks to my dealership, I’ve already contacted FCA and have a case number. Already did the spark plug/coil replacement and now back in the shop faced with “it may be the cam or lifter arm and it’ll take 10 days to get those parts.” Which, thanks to these threads, I know won’t fix anything.

Look, I’m in the airplane sales business, and in cases like this, it’s better for the OEM (FCA) to just pull the vehicle back for a replacement than throw money and time at a known flaw. I don’t buy the “software fix is coming” line, or this would be a much more expansive issue requiring a recall. Figure out the affected lot/lots and start offering to replace vehicles. That’s the Jeep thing to do, if indeed @JeepCares.
Amen !!!

Gladiator Rube

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Owner
Status update: Dealer said they couldn't recreate the A!@ problem, after trying for a few days. They waited and waited for "Jeepdoesntcare" to call them and they never received a call. Neither did I even after the "private message". So now I wait for the A!@ to happen again then I will take more pictures and take it back to the dealer for trouble-shooting again.
This is a pretty big safety issue in my opinion since if I am 200 miles away from civilization and this Jeep craps out how do I get back or get help?.
I believe all 32 of us on this forum should now post this concern at the NHTSA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Just got another A@! light with the rough idle... mile 1030

Syoung

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Hey Guys,
Just dropped my Gladiator off for the same issue. They called back and said they found multiple misfire codes.
1200 miles
What are the best steps to take?
I have never owned a Jeep so I don't even know where to start.
Any help to get me going in the right direction would be appreciated.

Sponsored

Jay17

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Green Overland
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Build Date: 10/19
Mileage @ first occurence: 1184
Times Occurred: 2
Codes Thrown: P0300
Ongoing Issue? Yes
Methods Tried to Fix: None yet. First dealer appointment this Saturday 6/27
Was issue resolved? Not yet

Gameshow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Since I forgot to add this before:

Build Date: TBD - It's in the shop...
Mileage @ first occurrence: ~2300
Times Occurred: 2
Codes Thrown: P0300/P0306
Ongoing Issue? Yes
Methods Tried to Fix: Plug/Coil Replacement (lasted one week).
Was issue resolved? Not yet

Cyber Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Cyber Security

I have a 2016 Willys Wranger. (Signature pic) It has been throwing P0300 codes off and on for the past 4 years. It has the 3.6 Pentastar V6 as well. It always pops up during the warmer months. I can go the entire winter and it the CEL won't come on at all. As soon as the weather turns warmer and more humid, it lights up. The engine runs fine, and I don't see any problems with gas mileage, etc. It goes off after a few days. (Several start/stop cycles) It may come back in a few days, or it may be in a few weeks. 4 years old, and 85,000 miles. I read somewhere a long time ago in a Jeep forum somewhere that it was a sensor that was a little bit too sensitive. That it "thought" there was a problem, but it wasn't. Maybe there's something similar with the JT, and that's the reason for the "software update". A buddy of mine has a 2014 with the same engine, and it had the same problem, throwing P0300 codes. Eventually, it got worse and started missing, and running really bad. He had to have it repaired. (I believe he said that it was lifters)

DTrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Well folks, just heard from my dealers service department and the FCA field engineers have determined that they need to replace my engine. I'll share diagnosis when I receive the paperwork. Service Manager also informed me that Chrylser will be buying my Gladiator back. We'll see how long this process takes. In a nutshell, I had the truck for a little over a month and put less than 300 miles. It's been in the shop on 3 occasions (23 days and counting) and still in the shop with ESS & CEL issues. I love the truck but need to decide if I'm going to purchase another Gladiator or something else.
Sponsored