MauiBum

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
The interstate misfire I am pretty sure is a bad integration between the transmission software and throttle body air flow model. Which puts the engine in a bad spot on the timing map. I have a file that makes it happen almost on command. Changing the timing gets rid of the misfire code, occasionally the Avengers logo pops up. I believe the ESS gets angry when the the throttle body osscilates and the lockup clutch slides in and out. I have noticed on the 2020 rams they have really pulled back on the throttle closed loop control and limit the amount of correction it is able to do. I imagine that is why many feel the throttle is lazy off the line in those trucks. For the record I don't think any harm will come from the interstate misfire code. It is not really a misfire. It may eventually be hard on the torque converter. The actually engine misfire is due to the engine controller racking the cams to the min setting and limiting throttle body opening, after the code is set. If you have a Tazer, you can just clear it and be on your way.
Interestingly enough I've had the misfire and vehicle rough idle with it in park sitting at a scrap yard while I was taking stuff out of the bed. It was running fine and then I could feel the bed bouncing around. When I finally got back in the truck my wife mentioned that something strange happened and she felt the bouncing as well. What was the disconnect between the transmission software and throttle body after sitting idle for about 3 minutes? But I'd guess some of us have different issues that just present themselves in the same way (e.g. CEL and ESS lights)
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Interestingly enough I've had the misfire and vehicle rough idle with it in park sitting at a scrap yard while I was taking stuff out of the bed. It was running fine and then I could feel the bed bouncing around. When I finally got back in the truck my wife mentioned that something strange happened and she felt the bouncing as well. What was the disconnect between the transmission software and throttle body after sitting idle for about 3 minutes? But I'd guess some of us have different issues that just present themselves in the same way (e.g. CEL and ESS lights)
I would like to get a datalog of one of the vehicles were it happens at idle. I had TB bounce at idle once but it never came back. I am worried the trucks that do it at idle may actually have a hardware issue. But without data, I am totally speculating.

flatboycms

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Account Rep
Follow up;
When I received our Gladiator back the dealer put 33 (I think the odometer was 892, can't recall exactly)miles on it. Looks like their approach worked...Wrong.
I am at 958ish miles the ESS light and the CEL both popped up. This is the 3rd trip to the dealer. Second for ESS and 3rd for the CEL.

Last edited:

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
Follow up;
When I received our Gladiator back the dealer put 33 (I think the odometer was 892, can't recall exactly)miles on it. Looks like their approach worked...Wrong.
I am at 948 miles the ESS light and the CEL both popped up. This is the 3rd trip to the dealer. Second for ESS and 3rd for the CEL.
Sorry to hear that. Mine has been at the shop for 62 days in a row waiting for a new engine. Replacement gladiator is on a train headed west.

flatboycms

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Account Rep
Sorry to hear that. Mine has been at the shop for 62 days in a row waiting for a new engine. Replacement gladiator is on a train headed west.
You are still waiting for your replacement?
I was thinking of going Lemon and asking for a replacement but I think you answered that part.
I am very sorry to hear that. I hope they are covering your payments or something!!!

Sponsored

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
You are still waiting for your replacement?
I was thinking of going Lemon and asking for a replacement but I think you answered that part.
I am very sorry to hear that. I hope they are covering your payments or something!!!
That is the shifty part. If they give it back "all fixed" they cover your payments. If they replace it, I still don't know. The replacement has a couple more options for the same price. In a week or 2 when all this happens, I will update the group on my satisfaction level with this choice. As it currently stands, I have put 2000 miles on the rental ram and have considered going back to that brand. I really loved my Dakota I traded in for the lemon.

flatboycms

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Account Rep
That is the shifty part. If they give it back "all fixed" they cover your payments. If they replace it, I still don't know. The replacement has a couple more options for the same price. In a week or 2 when all this happens, I will update the group on my satisfaction level with this choice. As it currently stands, I have put 2000 miles on the rental ram and have considered going back to that brand. I really loved my Dakota I traded in for the lemon.
I traded in a perfectly good 2013 JK with only 15k miles and sold my 2009 duramax with 20k on it to help pay it off. Both with zero issues....
I wish you the best and hope you get some wheels really soon!!

Sportyrider1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, TJ wrangler
Build date 11/19
First time Milage was 14430
Code set p0300
Took to shop on Tuesday oct 20 software was updated and reset
Cel returned Oct 22 mileage 14770
Code set p0300
Waiting on dealer to get in a loaner so I can drop it off.
@JeepCares

Last edited:

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Build date 11/19
First time Milage was 14430
Code set p0300
Took to shop on Tuesday oct 20 software was updated and reset
Cel returned Oct 22 mileage 14770
Code set p0300
Waiting on dealer to get in a loaner so I can drop it off.
@JeepCares
Hello @Sportyrider1
We regret to see that you are facing this concern with your Jeep. Please know that our team is available to you for additional support alongside your dealer services. Please send us a private message with your VIN so that we may look into this further for you.

Kathryn
JeepCares

jebsurf

First Name
jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 twin turbo explorer sport
Unfortunately I'm having this issue also. I can catch it by ear because I know what it is (before this thread was found). No CEL lights (that I know of) 2020 Mojave

Sponsored

Oakstump

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Jeep is supposed to buy mine back this week. I’m curious to what their offer is going to be, and based on all my past dealings with FCA I think it’s going to be a joke as well.
I will update when I know what they will give me to buy their POS back.

flatboycms

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Account Rep
Jeep is supposed to buy mine back this week. I’m curious to what their offer is going to be, and based on all my past dealings with FCA I think it’s going to be a joke as well.
I will update when I know what they will give me to buy their POS back.
I have a question for you regarding your buyback, do you have a lot of mods/upgrades on yours "tires, lift, cover for the bed etc."? The reason why I am asking is to see if they bump up the buy back to cover those of if you have to take them off.
I have a really nice tonneau on mine and I am 99.9% sure they will not cover it. Thanks Oakstump for the update and wish you luck on your buy back!!

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
I have a question for you regarding your buyback, do you have a lot of mods/upgrades on yours "tires, lift, cover for the bed etc."? The reason why I am asking is to see if they bump up the buy back to cover those of if you have to take them off.
I have a really nice tonneau on mine and I am 99.9% sure they will not cover it. Thanks Oakstump for the update and wish you luck on your buy back!!
You will have to look at your state's lemon law. While they were processing mine, they kept saying " You are in Washington. We will do x"
It is all state specific.

Oakstump

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
It all states specific like GiJohn said. I was told they’d pay for anything I’d done to it. 1200 miles on mine with the problem since 800 so I didn’t do anything I had planned.
All I’m hoping for is to break even so anything beyond that will be a plus. I can say that once they decide to buy it back it’s quick. Last Tuesday it was approved. Wednesday we sent them all the paperwork they wanted. Friday they asked for one more thing and told us to expect an offer Monday.
If you have kept everything you will be golden. There is a “usage” fee they charge you for the miles you put on it. It’s from the mileage your truck first went in for repairs; so don’t let them charge you for 8000 miles of driving if it first went into the shop at 1000 for example.
I’m beyond ready to get it gone and will never own an FCA product again.

flatboycms

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Account Rep
It all states specific like GiJohn said. I was told they’d pay for anything I’d done to it. 1200 miles on mine with the problem since 800 so I didn’t do anything I had planned.
All I’m hoping for is to break even so anything beyond that will be a plus. I can say that once they decide to buy it back it’s quick. Last Tuesday it was approved. Wednesday we sent them all the paperwork they wanted. Friday they asked for one more thing and told us to expect an offer Monday.
If you have kept everything you will be golden. There is a “usage” fee they charge you for the miles you put on it. It’s from the mileage your truck first went in for repairs; so don’t let them charge you for 8000 miles of driving if it first went into the shop at 1000 for example.
I’m beyond ready to get it gone and will never own an FCA product again.
THANKS!!!
Sponsored