Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Can't find what I saved while driving it - likely I deleted it with some stuff after I decided it was fixed but here's my driveway test - one of them.........
Sponsored

Attachments

Deleted member 31576

Has anyone had the CAM replacement, software update done?

Went to the dealership yesterday in Gainesville, FL and had to present the TSB after the 3rd CEL in 4 days. The service manager was unaware of the TSB. Waiting for an appointment for the CAM repair, software update. This is the second time I have had to present a TSB to the service center for a problem that was presented to them - with specific details that were outlined in the TSB. It appears Jeep needs a process where they contact customers who have advised them of specific issues - issues that are outlined on the TSB's - this one came out in March 2021. Since March I have called and taken my Jeep to them no less than 6 times

RustySeatbelt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator

Went to the dealership yesterday in Gainesville, FL and had to present the TSB after the 3rd CEL in 4 days. The service manager was unaware of the TSB. Waiting for an appointment for the CAM repair, software update. This is the second time I have had to present a TSB to the service center for a problem that was presented to them - with specific details that were outlined in the TSB. It appears Jeep needs a process where they contact customers who have advised them of specific issues - issues that are outlined on the TSB's - this one came out in March 2021. Since March I have called and taken my Jeep to them no less than 6 times
I'm interested in this as well. I've had the software update, but still getting the CEL and throwing P0300 code. Dealer said the next step was the camshaft replacement, so now I'm patiently waiting for that to come in.
Had a new issue today which I believe is related. I remote started the truck to let it cool down, and when I got in had a AS/S warning in the notification center, and light come on in the dash. The truck was idling more rough than usual when I got in. The warning light for the AS/S went away on the return trip and hasn't come back. AS/S functioned as normal and the idle before I left my parking spot was much more smooth.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested in this as well. I've had the software update, but still getting the CEL and throwing P0300 code. Dealer said the next step was the camshaft replacement, so now I'm patiently waiting for that to come in.
Had a new issue today which I believe is related. I remote started the truck to let it cool down, and when I got in had a AS/S warning in the notification center, and light come on in the dash. The warning light for the AS/S went away on the return trip and hasn't come back.
Auto stop/start would be disabled, non-functional with an engine miss in the mix if my thinking is right - perhaps that's it.

I thought when I retired 4.5 years ago I would never in a million years wish I was working again, in a shop - I'd love to have my hands on some of these and figure out EXACTLY what's up with the right bank intake cam that Jeep engineers see that as a misfire problem.
I mean, the profile is right or it's not right. Are they suggesting that hundreds of these cams got through QA?
What was their clue to look there?
Man, my curiosity is killing me.

RustySeatbelt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I mean, the profile is right or it's not right. Are they suggesting that hundreds of these cams got through QA?
What was their clue to look there?
Man, my curiosity is killing me.
I'm with you on that, but after reading through some other threads, and I believe one of yours, I'm also going to check my coolant level, and see if there is any oil around the cylinder head. I'd like to hope that the cam is the only issue, and the new one fixes it. Fingers crossed I guess.

Sponsored

Deleted member 31576

Well Jeep service in Gainesville, FL was suppose to call Monday or Tuesday of this week and has not as of this writing. My wife took the car to work this morning and the CEL and Auto/Start/Stop came on again. This is the fifth time in two weeks that the CEL has activated. I'm going to post an entire thread of the issues I've had with this Jeep so far and the lack of follow-up/through from Jeep.

I know there will be some that will say that parts are in demand, the workforce is dwindling and good help is hard to find - unfortunately that isn't my problem. If you can't keep up with sales AND service - stop selling the vehicles!

We have had this reoccurring issue since 900 miles!!!! On a NEW vehicle!!!!

Some will say, 'well it has a warranty' - that's great if there was a solution.

My wife and I are absolutely fed up with the excuses and the lack of service to the customer.

Frustrated in Florida!

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Got my truck back today! Man, I sure missed it!! It only took a month and a half, …first cam delivered damaged and had to wait for the second one.

The second attempt repair for my PO302 cylinder #2 misfire was to replace the left bank intake cam shaft, rockers and lash adjusters on cylinder 2.

They did acknowledge my oil analysis showing coolant in the oil,…no comment or repair suggestions so at the very least it’s on record to deal with later.

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT20
Occupation
biologist
see posts 1391 & 1392 of this thread.
so far, so good - including a 2500+ RT road trip. 🤞

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
Is this issue happening with the JL Wranglers as well? And what is the percentage of Manual/Automatic transmission gladiators with this issue? Is this just isolated with the 8 speed auto?

IHCDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
UPDATE: 2020 Gladiator still at dealer 300 miles away for 4th week. So far cam shaft broken, more lifter and rocker arms replaced ad bolt in head broken off (2nd side this Can someone comment on the low oil pressure consequences of the stop/start activity? Jeep Cares, How do I PM you the serial number?
My Gladiator now has the same issues. Took it the dealer 3 different times before it got bad enough that the CEL light stayed on. By the time they were able to schedule me an appointment two sometimes three weeks later the light was off. Kept the truck multiple days many times just to hear the standard reply.... tech could not duplicate noise, no CEL, all systems functioning normal. One time took the service manager for a ride because it sounded like a diesel. Drove about two blocks and he said take it back immediately, that's not normal. Truck sat at the dealer for two more days just to get the above diagnosis. five days now in the shop and cams, lifters, rockers etc. BTW, told me they have no loaner for me. Jeep should be making my payment for me since i have no truck.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
My Gladiator now has the same issues. Took it the dealer 3 different times before it got bad enough that the CEL light stayed on. By the time they were able to schedule me an appointment two sometimes three weeks later the light was off. Kept the truck multiple days many times just to hear the standard reply.... tech could not duplicate noise, no CEL, all systems functioning normal. One time took the service manager for a ride because it sounded like a diesel. Drove about two blocks and he said take it back immediately, that's not normal. Truck sat at the dealer for two more days just to get the above diagnosis. five days now in the shop and cams, lifters, rockers etc. BTW, told me they have no loaner for me. Jeep should be making my payment for me since i have no truck.
My dealership didn’t have a loaner either but they have access to rental companies that do. Mine rented a loaner for me from Enterprise. The month and a half rental cost them $2200 cad while my truck sat waiting for the cam shaft to show up to do the repair.

When I dropped off the rental at Enterprise I asked them how it works that dealerships can rent vehicles but people off the street can’t right now. He said they rent firstly to insurance claims and dealership requests and IF there is anything left in the lot, a normal person can walk in and rent it. That particular day, there was a waiting list of over 20 people wanting to rent but couldn’t get one because they have to have a certain amount of rentable vehicles for insurance claims and dealerships.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A suggestion for folks to think about when dealing with a vehicle like this with misfire issues, especially with random misfires that don't always set the MIL or store a code, transient I guess would be the word - I personally believe this would be worth it as it's something you could use in the future for other stuff - and with other vehicles -
Get the OBDLink MX+ bluetooth OBD adapter
Get a product like AlfaOBD (I'm ASSUMING JSCAN can do the same??????)
Leave the bluetooth adapter on the OBD connector under the dash for expediency.
Next time there's a misfire - connect AlfaOBD - on your phone or a tablet - and LOG events. Do a capture (someone maybe can tell me if JSCAN can do this, otherwise I'll try to test it myself.....)
If it's misfiring at that time, AlfaOBD will capture the misfire events and the current data from the PCM including fuel information, engine temperature, air temperature, whether the misfire is ignition or otherwise, how many, which cylinder or cylinders or of it's random or multiple and much much more.
I was able to take such a log to our dealer when my wife's Grand Cherokee did this and I'm really glad I did as by the time I got it to the dealer - 30 minutes away, it had settled down, and yet I had pages of information for them all printed up neatly for them to read.
They were faced with the logs from that GC and couldn't say "we can't tell blah blah" because I handed them that information.
Yes, the devices and software will cost you money. But - it's stuff you can use later for other purposes.
ALFAOBD you buy one time and you get lifetime updates and can use it on a phone and/or a tablet and on other FCA vehicles, RAM trucks, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, whatever.

JSCAN, if it will keep logs and save the information to a file is a per-VIN number license. But it's a good product, easy to use with good support.

Just a suggestion, but I've used those things multiple times - bought originally thinking only of my JT but also reset the MIL on my WJ when it mistakenly thought there was an O2 sensor issue besides using it on my wife's Jeep.

So far it appears the majority of these are related to the right bank CAM (intake cam, I believe)

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Just out of curiosity, anyone before getting a misfire or cel have a smelly exhaust? My exhaust has been intermittently smelling like rotten eggs and I also have bad gas milelage and I also feel like I have poor acceleration. I have a manual willys but I bare get 14mpg. I do drive mostly city but i dont drive like I stole it. I'm starting to think my engine is running rich but it's not throwing a check engine light. Cold starts show some evidence of rough idle but I figured it was normal. Since I have a manual, I always shut my auto ss off. Is it normal if I floor it in 3rd gear and I dont feel a jerk from the acceleration? It accelerates but doesnt take off from 50 mph. Maybe I'm being parinoid but the exhaust smell is starting to concern me. Of course when I took it to the dealer they said it didnt smell and asked what kind of gas I used.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of curiosity, anyone before getting a misfire or cel have a smelly exhaust? My exhaust has been intermittently smelling like rotten eggs and I also have bad gas milelage and I also feel like I have poor acceleration. I have a manual willys but I bare get 14mpg. I do drive mostly city but i dont drive like I stole it. I'm starting to think my engine is running rich but it's not throwing a check engine light. Cold starts show some evidence of rough idle but I figured it was normal. Since I have a manual, I always shut my auto ss off. Is it normal if I floor it in 3rd gear and I dont feel a jerk from the acceleration? It accelerates but doesnt take off from 50 mph. Maybe I'm being parinoid but the exhaust smell is starting to concern me. Of course when I took it to the dealer they said it didnt smell and asked what kind of gas I used.
If you floor it, you won't feel a "jerk" from acceleration. That's just how these are in stock form. I can punch mine (auto, but same results) and it sort of goes BLAH and then takes off, but not like a race truck. Some fool was trying to do something really stupid where his lane ended and we had to merge and the traffic conditions I saw told me brace for an accident - I punched it to get out of the situation and it accelerated, but no setting me back in my seat. Had I done that with my other cars, even the vehicles I've owned with a 4.0, I'd have been well ahead and out of there. But these accelerate with no fanfare, no "WOW!" factor often times.

If I'm running 40-45 and punch it, there's no going to warp speed. It drops down a couple of gears then decides to take off. I've before compared it to a bad accelerator pump in carbureted cars.
It's not a slouch, but it's not quick to let loose. I find if I don't "floor it" I actually do better.

As far as rough idle - no, mine doesn't feel rough. It's not as smooth as when warmed up and when the AC is on and I start it, I feel the AC pulling on it but that's pretty normal in my opinion. I never feel the engine is "rough" or uneven, ever.

Doesn't matter when I start it or where I start it - I never smell anything out of the exhaust. I've gotten in, started it, then remembered something in the house I was supposed to take - I run in and back out to the garage (NOT attached) and when I get back to the garage I don't notice any smell really. It's pretty benign in that way. In fact it makes me even more careful sometimes as I realize I might not know when enough is too much as far as exhaust in that building. Older cars the smell tells me WATCH OUT but not this thing. Since I can't smell exhaust build up with this, I simply am more careful than with my other vehicles where the smell alone tells me there's build-up.

But don't look for setting you back in your seat snap your neck acceleration. These are good, but not like that. I'm assuming perhaps there's traction control involved - try disabling that, button in the center of the dash next to the ESS and other buttons and see if it acts different. These tend to feather things to keep you from breaking the tires loose.

oztek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Honda Pilot
Just got the TSB 18-224-021 Update PCM software and replace Camshaft.

This might be TL;TR and some of it is just a copy and paste of some old notes, so forgive any spelling or grammar issues.

A little history as I have not posted to this thread for over a year, but have been actively watching it since I was dreading the day my CEL would come on again.

Purchased an Overland in early May of 2020.

Had to take it back to the Dealership the next day because the Auto Start/Stop light came on and stayed on.
Diagnosis was that the vehicle was on the lot too long and low secondary battery voltage was triggering it.
They replaced the secondary battery after approval from FCA.

Afterward, Everything seemed fine, but the Auto Start/Stop light came on about 3 weeks later. It reset the next time the vehicle was started. Called the dealership and they said that can happen for various reasons.
Did not have the warm and fuzzies.

3 days later still less than a month after purchase the CEL came on and stayed on.
Took it to the dealership on 5/27/20
The tech was able to reproduce a P300 multi-cylinder misfire on cold starts. Cylinders 2,4,6.
Theory was a casting defect.

5/28/20.Service manager called. Said to plan on keeping the rental for awhile.
There is another jeep with the same problem that was built within 2 days of mine.
Engineer called them and said this is popping up all over. The engineer has a Gladiator that is exhibiting the same symptoms and told the dealership to not touch the Gladiators until he takes the engine apart to figure out what is going on with the one he has.

6/1/20
FCA gave the dealership the ok to take the engine apart, and they found a piece of metal that was disrupting the intake, and timing, causing the cold start misfiles.
They have a list of VIN numbers within certain build dates that have the problem.
They will be replacing the engine with a new one right off the factory. Will probably have it back mid to end of next week

6/9/20
FCA Engineers now think it might be a software fix as it is only happening on certain cold starts.
It sounds like the metal they were referencing earlier was found in the oil filter, and engineering confirmed that this was not unusual, they even confirmed they saw it in another model Jeep.

The recommendation was for me to pickup the truck and drive it until a software fix is done. The code has been reset and the check engine light is off.
If the light comes on, just keep driving it unless it doesn’t drive correctly, flashing light, stalls etc. Then take it to the service department.

They do not know why it is happening more in KC, a theory is that the weather (temp) has something to do with it. Now that it has gotten quite warm, they were struggling to reproduce the misfire.
Took it for a couple drives for at least 50+ total miles with no problems.
Fingers crossed

** Note that over the last year until 8/23/21 the CEL has not come back on, but I was getting periodic Auto Start/Stop errors which alway reset after the next start. Could go weeks before one would happen

These errors typically would happen after a start where the engine was already warmed up. Like when running an errand, but not always.

About a week or 2 before the CEL came on on 8/23/21. I noticed that the Auto Start/Stop error seemed to be happening much more frequently, even on a cold start. Was planning on calling the Dealership about that.

8/23/21
The dreaded CEL returns
19,021 miles

8/25/21
Took it to the dealership, but they didn’t get to it till later that day.

8/26/21.
They confirmed issue and a fix but needed to wait for parts (New Cam Shaft)

**Note, I specifically did not mention the TSB to the dealership as I wanted to see what their recommendation would be. I was pleased that they were aware of the TSB which has not been the case for others posting on this thread.

8/27/21
Have the Gladiator back. It’s only been a few days and about 45 miles, but no CEL, and the only thing I have noticed is that after a cold start and letting the RPMs idle down to < 1000, the engine runs smooth. Prior to the fix I noticed that there was a small bit of shaking / running rough at low RPMs, until the engine warmed up.

I will keep this thread updated. I have a 5000 mile road trip planned in mid September and will post back to this thread after that unless things go sideways before then.

Fingers crossed again.
Sponsored