Sponsored

Swapped 2020 Overland for 2021 Mojave

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Morning everyone,

So almost exactly 1 year ago I got a fully loaded Overland, and loved it. But with the crazy used car market, figured I’d see what it was worth. I bought the car OTD for $48k, and a year later with 25k miles, was offered $47k. I couldn’t sign the papers fast enough. It was hard finding a dealer that was willing to deal given the supposed lack of inventory, but was able to get $7k off a brand new, just landed Mojave.

Funny side note, I asked if I could move my tonneau cover and they said it would take $500 off my trade in value. I bought it new off Amazon for $230, so no thanks!

8C35647E-F57F-4F2D-A0F6-3610A730762C.jpeg

E579B01E-7741-449C-8717-FF3BD35413C1.jpeg
What are the differences you notice/appreciate between the ride and experience between the Overland and Mojave?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Looked at a Wrangler in the showroom today - "market premium - $10,000"
Wow.
So assuming they did similar on Gladiator, ouch, even if they did great on trade.

OP
OP

dernawe

First Name
Kalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Program Manager
What are the differences you notice/appreciate between the ride and experience between the Overland and Mojave?
For me the biggest difference is the ride quality. Having previously owned an unlimited, going to a Gladiator was a huge improvement in the ride. And I feel like going from the Overland to the Mojave was almost as dramatic. The trails here in the DC area are limited, and have only gotten it dirty twice since getting it, but honestly didn’t notice too much of a difference in ability (trails here do not require lockers in my experience, so didn’t use the Mojave rear locker yet). But I did drive on the beach in outer banks in both, and again the ride is just so much better.

Trlr8tdd

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition JT, 2013 JKR
Occupation
Aviation Chief Inspector
We tried swapping our loaded Launch Edition and was offered low kbb and No discounts on a replacement. Figured I’d give it a shot before I put the lift on this weekend. Thanks Courtesy Jeep!

Sponsored

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
Morning everyone,

So almost exactly 1 year ago I got a fully loaded Overland, and loved it. But with the crazy used car market, figured I’d see what it was worth. I bought the car OTD for $48k, and a year later with 25k miles, was offered $47k. I couldn’t sign the papers fast enough. It was hard finding a dealer that was willing to deal given the supposed lack of inventory, but was able to get $7k off a brand new, just landed Mojave.

Funny side note, I asked if I could move my tonneau cover and they said it would take $500 off my trade in value. I bought it new off Amazon for $230, so no thanks!

8C35647E-F57F-4F2D-A0F6-3610A730762C.jpeg

E579B01E-7741-449C-8717-FF3BD35413C1.jpeg
Oh boy , now you’re in trouble! Addiction will set in directly.

OP
OP

dernawe

First Name
Kalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Program Manager
Looked at a Wrangler in the showroom today - "market premium - $10,000"
Wow.
So assuming they did similar on Gladiator, ouch, even if they did great on trade.
You can still find great deals, it’s just harder. All I did was email all the dealerships in my area and let them know I was ready to buy that day if I got a great deal. Luckily we have plenty of dealerships in my area, so came down to 2, and one had the Mojave I wanted.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can still find great deals, it’s just harder. All I did was email all the dealerships in my area and let them know I was ready to buy that day if I got a great deal. Luckily we have plenty of dealerships in my area, so came down to 2, and one had the Mojave I wanted.
Agreed.
If I leave my area I could get a great deal. I'm not wanting to trade - but if I was, I'd not consider a Des Moines area dealership for any sort of "deal". Not after what I've been through with them in the past (and almost all owned by the same Ken whatever corporation)
The sales guys here still have to go check with their manager HAHAHAHA.
They'll low ball you on your trade telling you they'll have trouble unloading it and then when you sell it privately (in my case to a Chevy dealer) they'll cry about how badly they wanted your trade, they had it already sold and are so disappointed.
Yeah, the old 1970s sales BS around here.
So when my wife wanted to trade her WK2 for a 2021 - we drove 4 hours away (one way) and were pleased with the deal.

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Mojave, 17 Sienna, 92 VW Cabriolet
Mojaves takin' over! LOL...

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
For me the biggest difference is the ride quality. Having previously owned an unlimited, going to a Gladiator was a huge improvement in the ride. And I feel like going from the Overland to the Mojave was almost as dramatic. The trails here in the DC area are limited, and have only gotten it dirty twice since getting it, but honestly didn’t notice too much of a difference in ability (trails here do not require lockers in my experience, so didn’t use the Mojave rear locker yet). But I did drive on the beach in outer banks in both, and again the ride is just so much better.
it was opposite for me, my overland rides so much better as did my rubicon before my mojave, only thing mojave maybe had on it was not as jarring going over railroad tracks, otherwise other trims were night and day better than that of the mojave.

Sponsored

same_O_G

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave; 2008 JKU (RIP)
it was opposite for me, my overland rides so much better as did my rubicon before my mojave, only thing mojave maybe had on it was not as jarring going over railroad tracks, otherwise other trims were night and day better than that of the mojave.
That surprises me. I had the opposite experience. I test drove a JTR and thought the on-road ride quality was okay. I actually decided against buying a gladiator after that. On a whim, I test drove a Mojave, which changed my mind completely. I had a JKU before and have ridden in countless Jeeps and the Mojave is by far the most comfortable Jeep I've been in, both on and off road. The terrain I can comfortably cruise over at 30+ mph (with fully aired up tires) still blows my mind. Washboard roads used to be my nemesis, but now I look forward to them.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
That surprises me. I had the opposite experience. I test drove a JTR and thought the on-road ride quality was okay. I actually decided against buying a gladiator after that. On a whim, I test drove a Mojave, which changed my mind completely. I had a JKU before and have ridden in countless Jeeps and the Mojave is by far the most comfortable Jeep I've been in, both on and off road. The terrain I can comfortably cruise over at 30+ mph (with fully aired up tires) still blows my mind. Washboard roads used to be my nemesis, but now I look forward to them.
I dunno why, but my Mojave had the worst ride quality of all the trims.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But did you drive a Gladiator Overland?
Rubicon, yeah, heavier springs, made with the idea of leaning a bit heavier on the off-road side of things.
My Overland Gladiator has a better ride than even Grand Cherokees when it comes to certain road, and the pavement joints are quieter, no thump thump, it takes RR tracks as good as, if not better than, my wife's GC.
It leans more toward the comfort side of things.
Each of these trucks has a purpose in mind. If there was a chart with total highway comfort and ride quality on one end and total off-road, take trails, highway be damned suspension on the other end or extreme, Overland leans toward the former, Rubicon towards the latter.
Mojave has to have long softer springs as it's made for running the dunes in the MiddleEast - there's a version of it specifically made to sell over there.

Many who say "Mojave ride is the very best" haven't driven the others for any length of time. I know some have - but it takes more than a "test drive" to know how these will take ALL types of bumps, humps, dips, pot holes, RR tracks and other fun stuff. A 20 minute test drive just isn't all that telling.

But look at the purpose for which level is made, the market group each level is made for or aimed at.
Each is made for, or aimed at a specific buyer group and purpose.
If there was any off-roading to be done, the Rubicon would have been a more serious contender for me - but I aimed more for long trips to other places, driving 2 or 3 states away for shows and swap meets and sitting in the thing for 8-11 hours at a time.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Mball488

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
The dealer I bought mine from in 2020 has called me multiple times trying to buy back the JTR for the same price I paid (55k after getting a few off of original price) I went on Jeep.com and built the same one and it came out to 68K. No way I could get the same thing newer with the options I have now. Sounds like you made out like a bandit on that trade up.
Sponsored