First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail edition
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Hello everyone, Happy ST. Patrick's day! New to the forum, so apologies if this has been answered already, I did search and search, but couldn't find anything certain. Recently purchased a '21 Gladiator, Texas Trail edition auto trans. It does have a tow hitch, brake controller connector, however, after asking the dealer, Doge, etc., even provided VIN, still could not answer. Some say 4K, others 6K. Is the towing capacity 4K or 6K? How to know for sure? A little confusing. I've attached the only picture I have of it, towing a 1931 Model A I'm restoring. Thanks again.

Jeep_ModelA.jpeg
Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Type in your truck’s VIN in the link below or add it to the Jeep app. You’ll see all standard and optional equipment listed. If you have the tow package then it’ll tell you. Tow package with the auto trans is rated at 6,000 lbs

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

OP
OP
dsmithtx

dsmithtx

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Thank you! Very much appreciated! Now why couldn't the dealer tell me that or Doge even?
So, under "Optional Equipment" it has "TRAILER TOW PACKAGE" so I will take that as 6,000 lbs tow capacity.
Wife wants to get a camper and just wanted to be sure before getting something that could be too heavy.
Thanks again!

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you! Very much appreciated! Now why couldn't the dealer tell me that or Doge even?
So, under "Optional Equipment" it has "TRAILER TOW PACKAGE" so I will take that as 6,000 lbs tow capacity.
Wife wants to get a camper and just wanted to be sure before getting something that could be too heavy.
Thanks again!
No problem. Happy travels and off-roading! Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
dsmithtx

dsmithtx

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Thanks, glad to be here. Actually, the Gladiator is our second Jeep, love off-roading!
Not a Gladiator, but here's our first Jeep.

Wrangler.jpeg

Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Weight is only one factor when it comes to towing a camper. Length is a factor most over look since you are essentially towing a huge sail. And wind doesn't care. I wouldn't go over 23-24'. Can you? Yes, on paper, it will work. Gladiator just doesn't have the weight or wheelbase to deal with much more than that though, especially if you are caught in some heavy cross wind.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Now why couldn't the dealer tell me that
Former salesman checking in. Your average car salesman's product knowledge extends to what models sell best. Half the salesmen at my last Ford dealer used to pay me to do their product knowledge tests every time a new model came out. The GSM and owner encouraged this behavior because all they cared about was that their staff passed the test and sold cars asap.

The last car I helped a family member buy was a Hyundai Kona (something I've never even sat in before) and I knew more about the car than he did just because I was capable of reading symbols on the dash buttons and had a basic grasp of industry wide established GUI design elements on the infotainment.

It should be embarrassing to know so little about the products they sell, but I've seen some salesmen proud of the fact that they are capable of selling stuff they know nothing about. They view it as evidence of their "charisma".

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Weight is only one factor when it comes to towing a camper. Length is a factor most over look since you are essentially towing a huge sail. And wind doesn't care. I wouldn't go over 23-24'. Can you? Yes, on paper, it will work. Gladiator just doesn't have the weight or wheelbase to deal with much more than that though, especially if you are caught in some heavy cross wind.
I have the Overland with trailer package (build date 6/19) which is stone stock, and my trailer is 27' long and weighs ~5,100 lbs (with all we want or need to bring with us) and I haven't had any issues with strong cross winds...either the wind itself or, passing tractor trailers.

There's a bridge I cross heading south on I-95 in Maryland that goes over the Susquehanna river that's almost a mile long, that always has a strong cross wind and my Gladiator with my trailer handles it just fine. One just has to anticipate and realize that there might be a cross wind, slow down a bit, and keep on keeping on.

Get a good weight distributing hitch (WDH) which also helps with sway control and you'll be fine.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I have the Overland with trailer package (build date 6/19) which is stone stock, and my trailer is 27' long and weighs ~5,100 lbs (with all we want or need to bring with us) and I haven't had any issues with strong cross winds...either the wind itself or, passing tractor trailers.

There's a bridge I cross heading south on I-95 in Maryland that goes over the Susquehanna river that's almost a mile long, that always has a strong cross wind and my Gladiator with my trailer handles it just fine. One just has to anticipate and realize that there might be a cross wind, slow down a bit, and keep on keeping on.

Get a good weight distributing hitch (WDH) which also helps with sway control and you'll be fine.
You do you, my man. If it works for you. I've been yanking around RV's for 20 years. Been my experience that something 25-30 feet long is 1/2 ton territory if you don't want white knuckle experiences. And longer than 30' in a bumper pull is best suited to a 3/4 ton. Which is why I'm pulling my 8000# 31' travel trailer with a 2500. I had two 1500's before this truck pulling the same camper, using an Equalizer WDH. On paper those 1/2 tons should have not had any issue using a good WDH. On paper. In practice I had far too many "WTF" moments of wind shoving me in another lane, or 18 wheelers inducing some sway.

I'm now a firm believer in having way more truck than needed when towing RV's. It's not just me on the road I have to worry about killing should something happen. Like a trailer tire blow out at highway speed. That 27' trailer will spin that gladiator around like it wasn't even there.

Chunky White

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Former salesman checking in. Your average car salesman's product knowledge extends to what models sell best. Half the salesmen at my last Ford dealer used to pay me to do their product knowledge tests every time a new model came out. The GSM and owner encouraged this behavior because all they cared about was that their staff passed the test and sold cars asap.

The last car I helped a family member buy was a Hyundai Kona (something I've never even sat in before) and I knew more about the car than he did just because I was capable of reading symbols on the dash buttons and had a basic grasp of industry wide established GUI design elements on the infotainment.

It should be embarrassing to know so little about the products they sell, but I've seen some salesmen proud of the fact that they are capable of selling stuff they know nothing about. They view it as evidence of their "charisma".
I have rarely met a car salesman who knew more than me about what they were trying to sale. It's entertaining at times and makes you wonder how long they will last as a salesman. I grew up around the car business so I have driven all kinds and owned around forty
Sponsored