Thinking about trading in the Mojave for Rubi Diesel

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
I did it. In fact I traded it for a JL diesel. Couldn’t be happier. I haaaaaaated the 3.6. The passing power was laughable. In fact it was non existent. MPG is terrible. And it needs premium to avoid knock. Peak torque at 4800rpm? Come on.

I drove my eco diesel 160 miles the night I got it on 37s... easily passing at 80mph on the highway getting 22mpg hand calculated.

my thoughts on the 392; it’s idiotic. And I love fast cars. On of my others in an AMG Mercedes that’s runs 11s. You do not want a big displacement v8 in a wrangler. It will get single digit mpgs in a headwind (I got 12 with the 3.6) and it’s not really all that fast.
Sponsored

brotharon

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Freelance Stamp Collector
Where I am at it is exactly the opposite. Here in Houston regular unleaded can be had for $1.59 a gallon, and diesel is about 2.29 a gallon.

With gas costing 70% of what diesel does here your 24 mpg is only worth about 16 mpg on gas, and I am getting over 17 mpg with my 3.6. The diesel engine would have never paid for itself, and as far as resale goes we will just have to wait and see. Normally diesel trucks have higher resale, but they also normally have higher payload and towing...

I guess each person will want to do research based on their own situation, and make a decision based on what they are wanting from their vehicle and the locality in which they live.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I did it. In fact I traded it for a JL diesel. Couldn’t be happier. I haaaaaaated the 3.6. The passing power was laughable. In fact it was non existent. MPG is terrible. And it needs premium to avoid knock. Peak torque at 4800rpm? Come on.

I drove my eco diesel 160 miles the night I got it on 37s... easily passing at 80mph on the highway getting 22mpg hand calculated.

my thoughts on the 392; it’s idiotic. And I love fast cars. On of my others in an AMG Mercedes that’s runs 11s. You do not want a big displacement v8 in a wrangler. It will get single digit mpgs in a headwind (I got 12 with the 3.6) and it’s not really all that fast.
Fantastic!!! I hate the 3.6 as well but am more partial to a HEMI conversion than going down the diesel route - with range anxiety being my only "issue" with the HEMI. I see you are in Boston and since I am local to you would love to see your truck on 37s. What local dealer did you deal with?

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
So giving it some serious thought. The 3.6 is not and does not stack up to what I thought it was going to be. Spark knock, horrible mpg (10x worse when towing), and smoke on startup sometimes, just to name a few. I like the truck itself, love I can take the doors/top off, but it’s just not the perfect truck for me I don’t think. I plan on doing some overland IG trips coming up, and I just don’t have the warm and fuzzies about it. Anyone else considered this change up?
Nope!

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I guess each person will want to do research based on their own situation, and make a decision based on what they are wanting from their vehicle and the locality in which they live.
Some people prefer life @ 1,800 rpm versus 4,000 to me it’s as simple as that :)

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

You also had a manual with 2.5" lift and 37s. That's a slow heavy brick heading down the highway.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Dang if I was getting close to what I got in January I'd save about 6k in cost or 3k if going with a oil burner. And get more options for less, oh well I'm already past second oil change now. But color selection sucks :LOL: Gobi, Gator or Pumpkin :rock: now if I can just hit the lottery.

2021Gladiator

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Communication
Covington, Ga. To Port St. Joe. To Cape San Blas, to Apalachicola, To Mexico Beach , to Panama City, back to Cape San Blas it just kept climbing. Yes gas is cheaper, but at Home I have been getting diesel at 2.02 per gallon , yes some places are 2.29 all the way to 2.79 on diesel, I get fuel mostly at the same couple of places every time. I have seen diesel from 2.12 up to 2.79 on this road trip. I prefer the Diesel, my nephew has a Wrangler 3.6 and it smokes and already dropped lifters he had to replace. I have never owned a 3.6 and not knocking it ( no pun intended), I will say I bought my first New jeep in 1984 at Nash Jeep in Lawrenceville, I have owned many jeeps since but none in the last 8-10 years, When they said they were putting the Diesel in the Gladiator, I couldn't wait to order and receive it. Road trip home today.

20201207_130309.jpg

Rares

First Name
Rares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
OK you get 16 mpg w/ your gas engine.
I get 24 mpg and paid a premium (Not $4,000 but $3600 based on the deal I got)
After 100K miles, you will have used 6,250 gallons of gasoline.
I will have used 4,167 gallons (I can get diesel for the same price as gasoline where I live)
That is a difference of 2,087 gallons which is approximately the difference in the upcharge I paid.
The extra cost in maintenance is the cost of the added performance & range of the diesel TO ME.
And my diesel will be worth more than a gas JL when it comes time for the next vehicle.
Besides, you can't get the desiel in a Mojave so it wouldn't have been an option for you anyway...
Diesel models are always excluded from discounts. You'll have to count an additional $4,000-$6,000 that you would save with a gasoline model.

Sponsored

P90Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Launch Edition, 2011 JKU Rubicon
There’s a long history of it, and everything I’ve read so far, there are no sure fixes. They’ve even gone as far as replacing some members whole engines, still same issue. Not a very good feeling in long term reliability. There’s even. Youtuber (well known) his pretty much left him stranded. :/
Not defending the engine at all. I'm going with an aftermarket 392 in mine when the budget allows. BUT - that YouTuber that got stranded does a lot of DIY work on his motor so not so sure he might have brought it on himself. I have ~22K and so far, so good.

chamm21

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Rubicon, 2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Accessory Sales Manager
Covington, Ga. To Port St. Joe. To Cape San Blas, to Apalachicola, To Mexico Beach , to Panama City, back to Cape San Blas it just kept climbing. Yes gas is cheaper, but at Home I have been getting diesel at 2.02 per gallon , yes some places are 2.29 all the way to 2.79 on diesel, I get fuel mostly at the same couple of places every time. I have seen diesel from 2.12 up to 2.79 on this road trip. I prefer the Diesel, my nephew has a Wrangler 3.6 and it smokes and already dropped lifters he had to replace. I have never owned a 3.6 and not knocking it ( no pun intended), I will say I bought my first New jeep in 1984 at Nash Jeep in Lawrenceville, I have owned many jeeps since but none in the last 8-10 years, When they said they were putting the Diesel in the Gladiator, I couldn't wait to order and receive it. Road trip home today.

Jeep Gladiator Thinking about trading in the Mojave for Rubi Diesel 20201207_130309
Let me know when you're ready to accessorize that thing. I'm just down the road at Wild Willie's....

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
You also had a manual with 2.5" lift and 37s. That's a slow heavy brick heading down the highway.
Yep, it was never stock so I couldn't possibly know what the 3.6 feels like from the factory.

With gas costing 70% of what diesel does here your 24 mpg is only worth about 16 mpg on gas, and I am getting over 17 mpg with my 3.6. The diesel engine would have never paid for itself
For me, its not about the cost. Even the gas rubi is a 55k truck. I was much more concerned with enjoying driving it. And I didn't.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
Some people prefer life @ 1,800 rpm versus 4,000 to me it’s as simple as that :)
This is the best statement of the thread. If you don't mind an 8 speed auto kicking down to third to get up hills with an utterly uncharismatic gas v6 screaming "IM TRYYYYYYYYYYYYYIIIINNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG" then the 3.6 is the motor for you - save yourself 5k. I can get the diesel to cruising speed, stick it in manual 8th, and leave it there to keep up with traffic anywhere from 55-85.
Sponsored