First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
For the past 3 years I have been driving a leased no frills F-150 XL Super Cab with the 2.7 ecoboost. I absolutely love the comfort and functionality of the truck but it is quite large and more utility than fun.

Growing up, I always had Wranglers (2 YJs and one of the first TJs built). I have always wanted to get another Wrangler. My daughters (13 and 9) love the idea of driving in a truck with no doors (either a JL/JLU/JT), and have starting calling the JT a "Jeep with a tail".

My Requirements
  • We have 2 boats, the larger of which is just about 6800 pounds and is only towed twice a year (to and from the marina); the smaller is about 3000 pounds and gets towed more frequently.
  • I do a lot of home improvement work and kind of need a pickup to haul supplies and construction debris to the dump.
  • I have two houses and haul my tools between the two houses quite a bit. The tools fill the bed and cab of the F-150.
  • We take a good number of road trips to go snowboarding / skiing. Need to have room to haul our gear when on road trips (when we do not take the Honda Pilot)
My Options

Option 1 - Stay with the F-150 or get another full size pickup.
  • Pros: Cheap, Larger interior and bed mounted toolbox are big enough to hold gear for road trips.
  • Cons: Not a "fun" truck. PITA to park.
Option 2 - Get a JLU and buy a beater full size pickup for the boats and home improvement projects
  • Pros: Fun truck; Have more interior storage for road trips.
  • Cons: I already have enough cars, boats and trailers that I need to insure, register and maintain; Need to pay for 2 vehicles.
Option 3 - Get a JLU and get a small utility trailer for projects / dump runs, and borrow a pickup to launch the larger boat.
  • Cons: Need to buy the utility trailer; A utility trailer would be one more thing to register and maintain; I could not move the bigger boat once it is back at the house. I would have to borrow someones pickup to launch the boat twice a year.
Option 4 - Get a Gladiator.
  • Pros: Fun truck that can do everything
  • Cons: Less bed-space than full size pickup; need weatherproof and secure bed cover for road trips.
I am leaning towards option 4. Am I making the wrong decision? Of note: Before the F-150 I had a 1995 Taco, so I know what it is like to have a smaller pickup.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I say go with the JT. I would get the Max Tow for the extra payload if you are planning on taking family AND putting things in the bed. If you go Rubicon you lose 300-500lbs of payload. As discussed in other threads 1200lbs for a JTR, less 4 occupants, less 600lbs tongue weight for trailer/boat, leaves none (by the official numbers) for gear/luggage. If you go for comfort in an Overland you lose even more

OP
OP
Mikegcny

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I say go with the JT. I would get the Max Tow for the extra payload if you are planning on taking family AND putting things in the bed. If you go Rubicon you lose 300-500lbs of payload. As discussed in other threads 1200lbs for a JTR, less 4 occupants, less 600lbs tongue weight for trailer/boat, leaves none (by the official numbers) for gear/luggage. If you go for comfort in an Overland you lose even more
I am quite amazed that the JT with Max Tow is comparable to my F-150. My current F-150 can hold 1660 pounds of cargo and tow 8,200 pounds. The JT Max Tow can hold a tiny bit more (1700 pounds), and pull 7,650 pounds.

I would not get the Rubicon simply because of the price and I do not do that type of off-roading. The most we do is take the truck on the beach.

I should have also mentioned that we are only about 1 mile from the boat ramp, we never tow the boats long distances.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am quite amazed that the JT with Max Tow is comparable to my F-150. My current F-150 can hold 1660 pounds of cargo and tow 8,200 pounds. The JT Max Tow can hold a tiny bit more (1700 pounds), and pull 7,650 pounds.

I would not get the Rubicon simply because of the price and I do not do that type of off-roading. The most we do is take the truck on the beach.

I should have also mentioned that we are only about 1 mile from the boat ramp, we never tow the boats long distances.
You will likely not find a JT on the lot that has that 1700lb payload. I've seen one member on here post his doorjam saying it's over 1650lbs, but I've never seen a 1700lb. Regardless, the thread on long-range towing and the one on floor boards had their JTs overloaded. The long-range one was over his max payload by something like 700lbs if I recall correctly, and claims there was no noticeable problems driving over a long stretch and mountain, and no noticeable wear based on his gear fluid.

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Comparing a full size truck with more hp and torque to mid size JT with 285/260, you WILL see and feel the difference. You can tow and haul with the JT but I wouldn't put it in the serious tow vehicle category.

Pure fun, put a smile on your face, off road capability, highly versatile and light duty tow/haul? Absolutely!!

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who traded in an F150 for a Gadiator myself, I encourage you to really think about the difference in storage/hauling space. If you fill up the bed and cab of a full-size F150, you will miss the space going into a JT. The bed is much more shallow than an F150 and the rear cab is way smaller. I find that with a tonneau cover on my JT and the shallow bed and shorter length, it doesn’t hold near as much family items on a road trip as my F150 did.

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Audi A4
I'm trading my F150 in this week for a Gladiator. I know it's smaller, but I really don't use my bed like a full size truck. The Gladiator bed will still haul my dirt bike, snowblower etc. Even with my F150, I still use my trailer for rock, stone, mulch, hauling my ATV, etc. For me the only real issue will be when we go to the beach for a week in the summer. I can always fit what we need in the bed of my F150 with the tonneau closed. That's great, but I told my wife I'm not owning a vehicle for a vacation we take for a week once a year. I plan on getting the cargo bed rails and a basket to haul some stuff up a little bit higher. Paddle board will still go on a roof rack and the bikes will dangle out back on the hitch carrier. We'll be the coolest looking Beverly Hill Billy family at the beach. LOL

GladiatoRic

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a new 2013 f-150 fx4, put 125,000 Miles on it and it has been a great truck. I’ve pulled my 4,000 lb travel trailer with both. Both pull great over long steep grades even in 100+ temps. Gas mileage is the exact same. Leg room and bed storage difference is better with the fx4 crewcab, but at 6ft 220 the Glad is the only midsize I fit in comfortably the back seat of with a person my size driving. Just did a 800 mile highway trip in the glad, which I’ve done serval times in the fx4, and the Jeep was a smoother ride. Both trucks are max tow packages, have 2” leveling spacers in the front, and are running 33” ATs. Wife likes driving the Jeep way more and I agree, on trips, the trail and around town.

2F0E50EB-99DF-419A-B928-5907FD3143C4.jpeg

1AD0372D-43D8-4FBB-AF7E-607772325E53.jpeg

Sponsored

Jimmy-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
For the past 3 years I have been driving a leased no frills F-150 XL Super Cab with the 2.7 ecoboost. I absolutely love the comfort and functionality of the truck but it is quite large and more utility than fun.

Growing up, I always had Wranglers (2 YJs and one of the first TJs built). I have always wanted to get another Wrangler. My daughters (13 and 9) love the idea of driving in a truck with no doors (either a JL/JLU/JT), and have starting calling the JT a "Jeep with a tail".

My Requirements
  • We have 2 boats, the larger of which is just about 6800 pounds and is only towed twice a year (to and from the marina); the smaller is about 3000 pounds and gets towed more frequently.
  • I do a lot of home improvement work and kind of need a pickup to haul supplies and construction debris to the dump.
  • I have two houses and haul my tools between the two houses quite a bit. The tools fill the bed and cab of the F-150.
  • We take a good number of road trips to go snowboarding / skiing. Need to have room to haul our gear when on road trips (when we do not take the Honda Pilot)
My Options

• Pros: Cheap, Larger interior and bed mounted toolbox are big enough to hold gear for road trips.
Option 2 - Get a JLU and buy a beater full size pickup for the boats and home improvement projects
  • Cons: I already have enough cars, boats and trailers that I need to insure, register and maintain; Need to pay for 2 vehicles.
Option 3 - Get a JLU and get a small utility trailer for projects / dump runs, and borrow a pickup to launch the larger boat.
  • Cons: Need to buy the utility trailer; A utility trailer would be one more thing to register and maintain; I could not move the bigger boat once it is back at the house. I would have to borrow someones pickup to launch the boat twice a year.
  • Cons: Less bed-space than full size pickup; need weatherproof and secure bed cover for road trips.
I am leaning towards option 4. Am I making the wrong decision? Of note: Before the F-150 I had a 1995 Taco, so I know what it is like to have a smaller pickup.
Option 4!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

My Requirements
My Options

All I can tell you is I went from a F-150 Supercrew 4x4 to the Gladiator and I haven't missed the F-150 a single day.

The Gladiator hauls and tows just as well as my F-150 did, fits in my garage, and is a blast to own and drive in any weather conditions....but sunny and warm days are the best because the top and doors come off. :)

And yeah, I work my truck. I've hauled and towed just about everything you can think of with mine over the last 11,000 miles.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Hey @WXman, how about a tow test with your cargo trailer loaded to 4500ish? Your 11K Initial Quality vid turned out good, btw.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hey @WXman, how about a tow test with your cargo trailer loaded to 4500ish? Your 11K Initial Quality vid turned out good, btw.
As soon as the weather breaks for spring, that's going to happen. I just don't know if it'll be quite 4,500 lbs. I'd have to rent some water containers or something to get that much weight in the trailer. And, I still need to get a trailer brake controller.

Thanks. This really has been a great truck. It's not perfect, but which truck is?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As soon as the weather breaks for spring, that's going to happen. I just don't know if it'll be quite 4,500 lbs. I'd have to rent some water containers or something to get that much weight in the trailer. And, I still need to get a trailer brake controller.

Thanks. This really has been a great truck. It's not perfect, but which truck is?
You shut your commie mouth! The JT is the perfect truck. All kidding aside given all the restrictions by big gov this is about as perfect a truck as you will get. Is it the perfect tower, hauler, or comfort? No. But it is the perfect combination of all features that make a truck a truck, including taking your haul to places most trucks cant get to.

After so many people have posted having 2000lbs in their beds I have concluded that FCA didn’t market the JT as a one-ton truck because the posted payload is the payload while OFFROADING. Sure other trucks can carry more weight, but they cant handle the impacts of anything more than a gravel/construction road, with a full payload, like the JT can
Sponsored