Thinking of Getting out of my F-150 for a Sport S w/ Max Tow

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
I had a 2013 F150 XLT with 3.5 and now a Rubi. Based on how you are using your truck, keep your F150 or get a new one. I really like the Gladiator, but it has a LOT less room in the bed and the cab. For long trips, the Jeep is fine, but the F150 is great/quiet. For hauling trailers, there is not comparison that the F150 is better in every fashion.

I haven't missed my F150 and I'm happy with the Gladiator, but I don't work like you do and "USE" my truck daily. I also have projects, a rental house, and a #4000 boat. However, I only work on weekends a few times a month at most, not daily. So my compromise is well worth it.

Yes, the JT CAN do everything that you NEED. Only you can determine what is most important to you. A Full size truck and a JL might be best for you.
Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
As soon as the weather breaks for spring, that's going to happen. I just don't know if it'll be quite 4,500 lbs. I'd have to rent some water containers or something to get that much weight in the trailer. And, I still need to get a trailer brake controller.
You're welcome to use mine if you wish. Obviously I have selfish reasons for you to do a test. Mine weighed 4440 loaded up recently. 14 x 7 Homesteader Hercules with some obvious mods.
"Tow test with Pentastar, non JT" thread in the towing section.

20190809_100725-jpg-jpg.jpg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You're welcome to use mine if you wish. Obviously I have selfish reasons for you to do a test. Mine weighed 4440 loaded up recently. 14 x 7 Homesteader Hercules with some obvious mods.
"Tow test with Pentastar, non JT" thread in the towing section.

20190809_100725-jpg-jpg.jpg
Are you saying 4,500 total OR do you mean put 4,500 lbs inside the trailer, which would be 6,500 total?

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
4500ish total. With the frontage of a cargo trailer, that should be a reasonable test, I'd think.

OP
OP
Mikegcny

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Thanks all for your help. Unfortunately the financials of leasing a Gladiator do not work for me, so my wife told me to look elsewhere.

So, this is how I am choosing the next truck. Hopefully in 3 years I can manage to get a used JT :( Maybe even a Bronco!

F150.png

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
OP
OP
Mikegcny

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I might just buy the one I have right now. I just like new because they are under warranty I hate having to spend all my free time fixing things.
‘Don’t be afraid to look at new trucks. You’d be surprised of the offers they are throwing out. You may just be able to get a new one for just about the same price as buying out your lease. Go to a dealer that deals with fleet truck sales since you’re just looking for an XL and they should have a bunch to choose from like the one listed above for $25K

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Here is a built F250 that is the same MSRP as my JT Sport Max Tow ($44,600)

2020 Ford Super Duty F-250 XL Crew Cab
7.3L 2V DEVCT NA PFI V8 Engine
TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission
4X4, SRW
4.30 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio,
Power Equipment Group
Skid Plates – Transfer Case and Fuel Tank
Dual Battery
Alternator – 397 Amp
Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp with camera (CHMSL)
Manual Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors with Power Heated Glass
LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/S Tires
6 3/4’ Box

JT still the better buy

OP
OP
Mikegcny

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Here is a built F250 that is the same MSRP as my JT Sport Max Tow ($44,600)

2020 Ford Super Duty F-250 XL Crew Cab
7.3L 2V DEVCT NA PFI V8 Engine
TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission
4X4, SRW
4.30 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio,
Power Equipment Group
Skid Plates – Transfer Case and Fuel Tank
Dual Battery
Alternator – 397 Amp
Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp with camera (CHMSL)
Manual Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors with Power Heated Glass
LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/S Tires
6 3/4’ Box

JT still the better buy
I need something a little smaller as it is already a pain parking the F150. Also in NY the Super Duty's have the be registered as commercial vehicles. This prevents me from driving them on some roads and changes the insurance. My town also has a rule that commercial vehicles cannot be parked in driveways overnight, but this is not really enforced (its meant to stop homeowners who own businesses from parking a fleet overnight).
I am actually thinking of just picking up an old farm truck for the next few years. I can get one for a few thousand. I will be able to tow and use it for construction. Just wont be able to take road trips in it. Then in a few years when the JTs start coming off of lease maybe I can pick one up.

Sponsored

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
I need something a little smaller as it is already a pain parking the F150. Also in NY the Super Duty's have the be registered as commercial vehicles. This prevents me from driving them on some roads and changes the insurance. My town also has a rule that commercial vehicles cannot be parked in driveways overnight, but this is not really enforced (its meant to stop homeowners who own businesses from parking a fleet overnight).
I am actually thinking of just picking up an old farm truck for the next few years. I can get one for a few thousand. I will be able to tow and use it for construction. Just wont be able to take road trips in it. Then in a few years when the JTs start coming off of lease maybe I can pick one up.
And this is exactly why I would never live in New York. Never mind the high taxes and the cold. Brrr, the cold. We will welcome you to Texas. Unless you're a Giants fan.

OP
OP
Mikegcny

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
And this is exactly why I would never live in New York. Never mind the high taxes and the cold. Brrr, the cold. We will welcome you to Texas. Unless you're a Giants fan.
Yeah, nah. I'm perfectly fine here in NY. But thank you for the invite. I do visit there a lot.

No commercial vehicles on State Parkways is a good thing. They are very narrow and are quite curvy. They were originally built to be fun to drive on while traveling out to a state park. It's also nice to have the option to take a road with no trucks.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
For the past 3 years I have been driving a leased no frills F-150 XL Super Cab with the 2.7 ecoboost. I absolutely love the comfort and functionality of the truck but it is quite large and more utility than fun.

Growing up, I...

Not sure if you pulled the trigger on a new truck (JT or other), Mikecgcny... I can tell you that I went from a Chevy 2500HD to a Gladiator and haven't looked back. Sure, the JT is a mid-size and your current rig is full size, but how often do you actually need a full size truck? On those rare occasions you need to lug around something big, use a trailer. That's what I do now. As for loading/towing capacity, the JT is up there with larger trucks. I definitely appreciate the better fuel economy too - getting 17 1/2 around town and 23 on the highway - will go down when the lift goes on, but whatever. I can say with confidence, it will only take one day of top off, doors off, backwoods driving in a Jeep JT to justify the switch. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Mikegcny

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Not sure if you pulled the trigger on a new truck (JT or other), Mikecgcny... I can tell you that I went from a Chevy 2500HD to a Gladiator and haven't looked back. Sure, the JT is a mid-size and your current rig is full size, but how often do you actually need a full size truck? On those rare occasions you need to lug around something big, use a trailer. That's what I do now. As for loading/towing capacity, the JT is up there with larger trucks. I definitely appreciate the better fuel economy too - getting 17 1/2 around town and 23 on the highway - will go down when the lift goes on, but whatever. I can say with confidence, it will only take one day of top off, doors off, backwoods driving in a Jeep JT to justify the switch. Hope this helps.
Hey thanks. I do really want the truck. Issue right now is purely financial.

I have 2 months till my F150 goes back so hopefully I can find a decent discount on a Max Tow in the next few months.

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Planning NC trip in JT and I would rather do it in F150. The only reason I have the JT is because F150 does not come with manual, not convertible and I am in NYC so it would take 2 teslas to park on top of (good thing they are easy to climb)...
Sponsored