First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
So my 3rd brake light was out. Did some looking and it was the pins on the printed led board broken loose. I had them fixed until reinstalling and they broke loose again and messed up the whole thing. So to the web we go. Found an $8 set of 8 led strips. When they came in, I simply removed the light, opened it up with a Dremel, stuck the strip over the now dead led's and passed the wires outside. Some hot glue closed it up and a quick connection to the wires, leaving the plug in place so it's still usable, and it's fixed. he bench test was simply using a 9 volt battery. The outside of this light was now n bad shape after 2 openings with a Dremel but it's still usable.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
If the light housing is OEM, that's the first time I noticed the 3rd rear light saying "RUBICON"

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They will fix it for free under warranty
Yup.,
And my take on the original problem - fix the pins that came loose correctly, and then fix the REASON they came loose, no further work needed.
Stress and vibration - resolve that and they won't break.

I guess me being me - I'd resolve the issue that caused the original problem but that's me.........

But if you check the box, you get 10% off - a "coupon".

Sponsored

OP
OP
charliez

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
fix the pins that came loose correctly

I attempted to do this and had them fixed and working. When reinstalling it, the pins broke loose again and took a good portion of the circuit board with them. Also, many people don't have the means to do that small of a soldering so this can be an alternative for them.

Warranty, I got it used and the warranty that would have covered it has already passed.

The Rubicon blackout sticker came from here.

https://kaosdesignco.company.site/Fits-Gladiator-Brake-Light-Blackout-Decal-p464939303

OP
OP
charliez

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
resolve that and they won't break

I don't know what you can do to prevent this. Therer's not much room to work with. Plus if you get a factory replacement, you would still have the same possible issue to reoccur.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
fix the pins that came loose correctly

I attempted to do this and had them fixed and working. When reinstalling it, the pins broke loose again and took a good portion of the circuit board with them. Also, many people don't have the means to do that small of a soldering so this can be an alternative for them.

Warranty, I got it used and the warranty that would have covered it has already passed.

The Rubicon blackout sticker came from here.

https://kaosdesignco.company.site/Fits-Gladiator-Brake-Light-Blackout-Decal-p464939303
Thanks for the link. I ordered the Gladiator sticker.

OP
OP
charliez

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I think the sticker looks cool. I haven't got anyone to step on the brake yet since I got her glowing again. (the pic was from a sucoority cam)

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
resolve that and they won't break

I don't know what you can do to prevent this. Therer's not much room to work with. Plus if you get a factory replacement, you would still have the same possible issue to reoccur.
Mine got replaced by the factory and I've not had it happen again. It went out in December of 2020 and I got it replaced January 2021. Almost 2yre now and no issues. I'd feel more comfortable getting a OEM replacement and installing it myself honestly now that I'm out of warranty

Sponsored

OP
OP
charliez

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I was about to order a replacement and then I found this, so why not try it. Plus I have 7 more tries or the possibility of adding a strip somewhere else, like my bike, to increase it's brake light visibility. I did leave my plug intact so a replacement is still a possibility.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's going to help folks who, like you said, may not have the means for other repairs, and if nothing else, that Rubicon sticker is cool for Rubicon folks! Even those who don't have a broken light may appreciate that.
Sponsored