Thoughts on new 37" Tires

MAG00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler '13 JKU
Occupation
Project Manager
Time for some new tires and was curious to get some feedback. As of right now, I've narrowed it down to a few. I am currently running the Nitto Trail Grapplers and seemed to have had good luck with them, so they are on the lists. My local shop mentioned he like the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT. Another shop said they like the Falken Wildpeak MT but have been doing a lot of the Maxxis Raxr MT lately. So I guess I'm trying to decide between these. The Maxxis and Falken seem to be a little lower in price (about $20 to $30 per tire) based upon the quotes I received.
  • Nitto Trail Grappler
  • Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT
  • Falken Wildpeak MT
  • Maxxis Raxr MT
With that said, how would you rate these? 1st choice, 2nd choice, etc.
Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Time for some new tires and was curious to get some feedback. As of right now, I've narrowed it down to a few. I am currently running the Nitto Trail Grapplers and seemed to have had good luck with them, so they are on the lists. My local shop mentioned he like the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT. Another shop said they like the Falken Wildpeak MT but have been doing a lot of the Maxxis Raxr MT lately. So I guess I'm trying to decide between these. The Maxxis and Falken seem to be a little lower in price (about $20 to $30 per tire) based upon the quotes I received.
  • Nitto Trail Grappler
  • Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT
  • Falken Wildpeak MT
  • Maxxis Raxr MT
With that said, how would you rate these? 1st choice, 2nd choice, etc.
Just a question. Is wet grip on road important? I know you guys get rain like we do. Of the 4, I have owned 1 (Razr MT), and driven on 2 others (BB MT and Trail Grappler), and the Falkens are OE so there are tons of opinions on it.. I'd go Baja Boss, but mostly because of the wet grip on pavement and rocks.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Baja Boss A/T all the way. They’re so agreesive, they’re almost an MT, and they’re amazing off road. But they’re quiet and great in rain, snow, and ice as well. Better tread warranty than an M/T as well.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2022 MK8 GTI
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cube Monkey
I've owned both the Baja Boss and the RAZR. Excellent tires and would purchase either one again.

OP
OP

MAG00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler '13 JKU
Occupation
Project Manager
I've owned both the Baja Boss and the RAZR. Excellent tires and would purchase either one again.
Would you lean one way or the other on these two options? If so, why?

Sponsored

toddarama

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do IT stuff so I can buy Jeep stuff.
Baja Boss A/T all the way. They’re so agreesive, they’re almost an MT, and they’re amazing off road. But they’re quiet and great in rain, snow, and ice as well. Better tread warranty than an M/T as well.
I agree with Summitdan ... unless you are 100% set on having an MT, I would cast another vote for the Baja Boss A/T .... fairly aggressive tread for an A/T and still good wet and winter traction. I currently have the 37x12.50-17 on my JT having upgraded from the stock Wildpeak M/Ts

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2022 MK8 GTI
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cube Monkey
Would you lean one way or the other on these two options? If so, why?
I'd probably buy whichever is cheaper and available. :like:

Smoke Machine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I've owned the MT Baja Boss AT's for 20k miles. They are outstanding! Seriously, the best tires i've ever owned. Over the years, I've had: BGF AT KO's(3), MT/R's, and Duratracs.

In ever category: noise, wet grip, snow/ice, wear, looks, costs, availability, etc. THEY ARE EFF'ING OUTSTANDING!

Bulldog4xfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sahara
just bought the 37x12.5r17 Yokohama XATs. For $270 on Walmart. I loved my G3000. So for the Brand, and the price, I couldn’t pass up the deal. Reviews all seem to be good on them too.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yokohama Geolander X-AT's 37's are on sell for $270 a piece at Walmart.com. Seems legit and that's a great tire, especially in the rain. I've ran a set before and they do well in all condition's and they only weigh 76lb. I'd choose the Geolanders over at least 3 you mentioned, I'd put them even with the Baja Boss other than the Baja Boss weigh more and they are little louder once they start wearing out. I was pleased with both the Baja Boss or the Geolander. Another you might want to consider is Kanati Trail Hogs, I'm running them now and they are as good as Baja Boss or Geolanders and weigh 72lbs. Only drawback is they are hard to find in stock.

Sponsored

toddarama

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do IT stuff so I can buy Jeep stuff.
@MAG00 - Here is my unsolicited advice to you (for what it's worth?) You just got a lot of very positive reviews about several of the tires you are considering. Don't let yourself get caught in a loop obsessing over trying to figure out which one is 'the best tire' since they are all great. I'd bet you will be happy with any one of them, and at that point current pricing and availability will probably become the biggest factors in your decision.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I've owned the MT Baja Boss AT's for 20k miles. They are outstanding! Seriously, the best tires i've ever owned. Over the years, I've had: BGF AT KO's(3), MT/R's, and Duratracs.

In ever category: noise, wet grip, snow/ice, wear, looks, costs, availability, etc. THEY ARE EFF'ING OUTSTANDING!
I second this. I just got a set of Baja Boss 37s, replacing my Patagonia Milestars. The milestars went bald and split a sidewall at 16k. The noise on them was unbearable after a while. The Baja Boss's are quiet, and still do great on sand and rocks.

I've had duratracs, Maxxis, and milestars, and so far these are my favorite.

OP
OP

MAG00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler '13 JKU
Occupation
Project Manager
I second this. I just got a set of Baja Boss 37s, replacing my Patagonia Milestars. The milestars went bald and split a sidewall at 16k. The noise on them was unbearable after a while. The Baja Boss's are quiet, and still do great on sand and rocks.

I've had duratracs, Maxxis, and milestars, and so far these are my favorite.
Did you get the AT or MT Baja Boss ?

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Did you get the AT or MT Baja Boss ?
AT. Probably an R/T by what's new and hip-- these are quite aggressive. Falken has a new RT that looks good, and the Nitto R/T ridge grappler was on my list as well.

I just got back from the hammers, and these did wonderfully.

Jeep Gladiator Thoughts on new 37" Tires unnamed

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
AT. Probably an R/T by what's new and hip-- these are quite aggressive. Falken has a new RT that looks good, and the Nitto R/T ridge grappler was on my list as well.

I just got back from the hammers, and these did wonderfully.

unnamed.jpg
They’re great tires. For what it’s worth, in this picture, yours look overinflated. They’re a bit domed and the edge of the tread isn’t touching the ground. Per Mickey Thomson on a gladiator specifically, they recommend the 37x12.5x17 be set at a cold pressure of 27psi. I’m guessing you’re closer to 35?
Sponsored