Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have only conveyed what the dealership told me was the issue with the recall they performed. I have a dead Gladiator that is waiting for a new computer that is on backorder. I am not crying about it or attempting to mislead anyone but suggest that this might be worth waiting a bit to have this done.

I am not the only person with this issue. Trust me I would prefer that I had my Gladiator back in my garage and not the dealers. I would imagine that there are plenty of successful "flashes" but mine was not. There are many others that have experienced the same issue and have dead Gladiators.

I chose this forum to ask questions and state my issue to see if anyone had suggestions. My goal was not to get "everyone worked up about it" but to find resources that were clearly different from Facebook groups.

ShadowsPapa provided some good insight but may have indicated that I might be yelling and angry I guess. I was looking for the smart people to lend me a hand on how to address.

To those that provided insight, thank you!
Is there any correlation or pattern related to the specific PCM as far as successes and failures?
Any connection with build date where maybe there was some other change involved (aside from the PCM type/number)?

Has anyone tracked build dates of those that worked as opposed to those that failed?

It might be interesting - or not - if there's a corruption in their template this flash update is based on -

Does anyone know if their dealer has contacted STAR to see if they "have heard of this" issue (for lack of a better word - "issue" would almost seem to minimize it if it happened to you!)
I guess pick your favorite descriptive word!
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wow...shame on me for looking for insight. I think the responses on this forum are far worse than any I have seen on a Gladiator Facebook page. You are correct I haven't seen the 5,000 that went right. Mine didn't and I was looking for resources away from FB that I thought could help.

Instead I got shamed for expressing frustration and looking for advice. You provided some good insight but telling me I'm basically an idiot wasn't necessary.
Very sorry - I didn't stand back and proof read it........... my bad, not yours.

Since you've obviously seen some failures - do you have any idea on which PCM type it's happening to - or does it cross the PCM style lines?

Maybe someone who has experienced the trouble first-hand and seen indications of others might know if it's related to any specific builds -or, if their dealer said anything other than "damn, that went wrong". Anyone heard of a dealer mention a code of some sort? Or just plain nuttin'?

Ward

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Mojave
Occupation
retired
My PCM is a GPEC5 as I related on page one referring to my Z37 notice. It would appear there is no clean line/date on the GPEC5 changeover. This may prove to be a commonality.

MRobison907

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
Has anybody seen the throttle body recall for 21-22 gladiators. It says it effects the throttle position sensor and can cause a check engine light that will cap your speed at 25. Has anybody ever had this experience? I’ve never seen it
Yep.

Happened to me at 1500 Miles. Went went to accelerate and pass another vehicle and got an immediate check engine light and check throttle body sensor and power loss. So I pulled over to the side restarted and it did let me go over 25, and I drove it straight back to the dealership where they've replaced to the throttle body.

2022 Gladiator Mojave
Has anybody seen the throttle body recall for 21-22 gladiators. It says it effects the throttle position sensor and can cause a check engine light that will cap your speed at 25. Has anybody ever had this experience? I’ve never seen it

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Well this confirms I am not loosing my mind. I have seen this in a ton of data. I have even had guys change out their throttle body. The actual problem is not with the ecm it is with the throttle bodies and it happens on GPEC2 and 5. My guess is the 5 cannot take the feedback generated when the motor goes out of control. There is a a zone right off tip in that has almost no coefficients that will keep the TB from losing track of position. It will basically shut and start over or jump 500 rpm and feel like a run away. This quick change in position. Really screws with the ECM, as it is programmed to get angry if the the position is not linear over a span of time. Mine has this issue it manifests itself at the top of 3rd gear going about 15 mph. I have it trapped to a quick throttle level off, bit it is annoying.

I can probably do what Jeep is doing and how it is not manifesting itself everywhere. The shift schedule can be changed to keep the jeep from running sub 1800 RPM. It seems to be most prevalent from 1100 to 1700 rpm. My guess is the stepper motor does not have the needed resolution.

The GPEC5 briking is a completely different issue but is related to why you have yet to see aftermarket support for it. The memory does not do well with current reflash methods.

This is just one of the many reasons I am so frustrated with Jeep right now.

So many foundational things are a house of cards. It all works great until you have an outlier. And then, whether your stock nor not get ready for the roller coaster. Alot of this is beyond good tech knowledge so your dealer, is on the spot. Most good shops will struggle and even if they do find it, there is no strait forward fix, and pray that one of these issues is not found doing an expensive upgrade that is already installed.

"It ran fine stock" yeah it makes no power and spends 3 milliseconds at 1300 rpm.

Sponsored

Ward

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Mojave
Occupation
retired
Wow...shame on me for looking for insight. I think the responses on this forum are far worse than any I have seen on a Gladiator Facebook page. You are correct I haven't seen the 5,000 that went right. Mine didn't and I was looking for resources away from FB that I thought could help.

Instead I got shamed for expressing frustration and looking for advice. You provided some good insight but telling me I'm basically an idiot wasn't necessary.
GWIZZ, Sir I'd like to express my appreciation for your contribution to this thread. Everybody knows forums are the modern equivalent of a Wailing Wall but this is how information is initiated and circulated and your experience illustrates a learning as well as a teaching moment. Please continue to provide any further information as it develops in your case.

Ward

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Mojave
Occupation
retired
Excellent contribution to this thread. It confirms the existence of this problem and that corporation is in contact with the service departments with a tentative solution. Some questions will go unanswered but we know there is substantive issue solving being addressed.

Jimbos

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Civic
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Excellent contribution to this thread. It confirms the existence of this problem and that corporation is in contact with the service departments with a tentative solution. Some questions will go unanswered but we know there is substantive issue solving being addressed.
Well, I just got back from the dealer in a junk loaner. Went in for Wave service and they tried to do the Z37 update (without my knowledge or consent, of course). They are trying to find a new PCM…

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Well, I just got back from the dealer in a junk loaner. Went in for Wave service and they tried to do the Z37 update (without my knowledge or consent, of course). They are trying to find a new PCM…
I am scheduled to have mine flashed on July 15th. Thinking I am going to cancel that until this bricking business gets sorted.

Sponsored

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Hmmmm I scheduled to take a lengthy trip in Aug, do I risk the TB failure on trip or the PCM brick and have no trip🤷‍♂️? Or is the post above with a PCM brick solution real?? Decisions Decisions

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Looks like from what people are reporting that 100% of the techs who pull the fuse if it fails, aren’t frying PCMs. Everyone else, well.

Ward

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Mojave
Occupation
retired
Lacking further positive information I'd have to say this constitutes the service department taking a known risk as addressed in the Star Online Publication above in post #67.
My appointment for the Z37 is Aug. 4th, If my appointment were tomorrow I think I'd follow Hootbro's lead in post #70.
Jimbos, I'm really sorry about your situation. You do raise an interesting point in that you were not advised of the Z37 update attempt, the risk factor was not explained, & you had no opportunity to refuse or give informed consent. To believe otherwise one would have to believe the service departments are operating in an information blackout.
I really appreciate this forum & the contributing members. Without this we'd be the ones operating in an information blackout. Thanks All!

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Lacking further positive information I'd have to say this constitutes the service department taking a known risk as addressed in the Star Online Publication above in post #67.
My appointment for the Z37 is Aug. 4th, If my appointment were tomorrow I think I'd follow Hootbro's lead in post #70.
Jimbos, I'm really sorry about your situation. You do raise an interesting point in that you were not advised of the Z37 update attempt, the risk factor was not explained, & you had no opportunity to refuse or give informed consent. To believe otherwise one would have to believe the service departments are operating in an information blackout.
I really appreciate this forum & the contributing members. Without this we'd be the ones operating in an information blackout. Thanks All!
The dealership that did my first jeep wave oil change, did the z37 on mine with out telling me till I got the truck back and saw the paperwork. I saw this thread literally as soon as I got home and was like wtf. Knock on wood my pcm never bricked. I have put a couple hundred miles on it since Monday and it’s been fine. I’m assuming if the flash goes through you’re in the clear and these are bricking at the initial time they are trying to flash them?

Ward

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Mojave
Occupation
retired
Jglad15; Great to hear the flash was successful. Unfortunately I don't think we'll hear a peep from Jeep pertaining to the success/fail ratio on this flash much less a warning advisory prior to attempting the flash.
The consequences & possible risk of not receiving a flash were elaborated by ShadowsPapa in one of his posts & this presents a real liability issue for Jeep Corporate.
I'd speculate they are weighing a small percentage of customer dissatisfaction vs. NHTSA attention to the issue.
I hope Jeep Cooperate is monitoring this forum & scrambling for solutions, but...
Sponsored