Sponsored

Time for a new Gladiator! Crash, bam, boom

2ligit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP GLADIATOR
So how did it work out or are you still waiting?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MomsSpaghetti

MomsSpaghetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Having issues with the insurance company. Dumping those assholes once this is done. They “appraised” the damages based upon two photos and sent the body shop a check for $2800

body shop did their appraisal and determined costs to be $13,534. They are (thankfully) dealing with the insurance company and hopefully will get this straightened out. In the meantime I’m renting a car.

OP
OP
MomsSpaghetti

MomsSpaghetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few more photos

72BCD013-F285-4E2C-A253-94FB42A1FD3F.jpeg

D047300A-E132-45C1-BCF8-E26642C42A32.jpeg

3F4C58F8-7CAF-4D9F-B541-3247CF3144FC.jpeg

2ligit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP GLADIATOR
2800 is a joke. You cannot appraise a car off photos unless it is a bumper scuff. I hope the hell it wasn't my company. They are pushing more and more the "easy estimate" and have adjusters with no experience in the field writing them. Let the shop work with them. I am sure they have had to deal with this before with the ridiculously low estimates.I am assuming at 13500 that the frame did not have to be replaced which is good. If you have the means, get rid of the truck as soon as it fixed. It takes a month or 2 for anything to hit carfax. If you are having it fixed at a Jeep dealer it would be easier to trade and not take much of a hit. How can the dealer say it has lost value when they are promising to bring the vehicle back to OEM standards. They will just put it on the used lot and sell it as is and not certified. They will however be able to give a clear carfax because that is the first thing they will do as they know about the delay. Good luck with the process. I know it is a pain.

OP
OP
MomsSpaghetti

MomsSpaghetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I am definitely not happy with the insurance company right now. The kicker is, I changed 6 days before. I am getting divorced, we sold the house on 1/31 so I cancelled my policy with the local company because I get a discount through work with the new, big name, company. I regret that decision. So far, I have talked to a guy in LA, Alabama, and Indiana. I am in northern Michigan. They don't have a local office so they said they would find a 3rd party to appraise the vehicle. Then several hours later they sent that $2,800 appraisal based upon the photos I sent them. :angry:

It may end up costing me a lot of money trying to save a few dollars. I will gladly list the name of the company here - if it's allowed as I am on a mission to inform anyone and everyone about this experience and if I can keep one person from going with this company I will feel it was worth it.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Correct me if I’m wrong but if the truck is not being totaled than what difference does it make how much it costs?

You’ll have to pay your deductible and the rest is on the insurance company. When my wife was hit by a deer driving her Porsche the adjuster said the estimate was about 3500 (he must not have had much experience with Porsche’s haha).
The final bill was almost $10K but all we had to pay was our deductible....

OP
OP
MomsSpaghetti

MomsSpaghetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, I just don’t know if the insurance company is going to try and claim that it only costs $2800 and that’s all they are paying. Not to mention they quoted used and aftermarket parts. I am probably ok with aftermarket but no way in hell I’m putting used parts on a 6 month old truck.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
True, I just don’t know if the insurance company is going to try and claim that it only costs $2800 and that’s all they are paying. Not to mention they quoted used and aftermarket parts. I am probably ok with aftermarket but no way in hell I’m putting used parts on a 6 month old truck.
Your auto policy terms and conditions statement should spell out their parts replacement policy. Not uncommon for them to state use of used, reman and CAPA certified parts can be used at "their" discretion. A lot insurance policies are offering separate riders at addition cost if OEM parts are to be specified rather than aftermarket or used.

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
2800 is a joke. You cannot appraise a car off photos unless it is a bumper scuff. I hope the hell it wasn't my company. They are pushing more and more the "easy estimate" and have adjusters with no experience in the field writing them. Let the shop work with them. I am sure they have had to deal with this before with the ridiculously low estimates.I am assuming at 13500 that the frame did not have to be replaced which is good. If you have the means, get rid of the truck as soon as it fixed. It takes a month or 2 for anything to hit carfax. If you are having it fixed at a Jeep dealer it would be easier to trade and not take much of a hit. How can the dealer say it has lost value when they are promising to bring the vehicle back to OEM standards. They will just put it on the used lot and sell it as is and not certified. They will however be able to give a clear carfax because that is the first thing they will do as they know about the delay. Good luck with the process. I know it is a pain.
Are you suggesting the OP not disclose to potential buyers that the truck has been wrecked?

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe

The appraisal is meaningless, I wouldn't sweat it. They are obligated to repair the vehicle at a licensed repair facility, depending on your state you may get to pick. I typically prefer the dealer body shops but there are some great independent shops, perhaps one is on their approved list. Cars are made not born, so quality repairs can be done. Regardless of what anyone says, be sure that frame is inspected and replaced or repaired properly. Also be sure to visibly go over every single support bracket and housing you can find, some repair shops will try to reshape and use them to avoid ordering new pieces they didnt see prior to tearing down.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I
Agree here. Only way you might come out on top is get it repaired w OEM parts, fight hard to get a diminished value ( issue with this is they will drag is out, thus making your vehicle worth less when trading it in because the car fax will then be there) and then trade it into a dealer. Don’t screw someone private party buyer... the dealer has the chance to do their educated due diligence with their in house shop.

In the last 20 years this has happened to me 3 times. Broke even once (was still a pain in the butt), the other two times I actually came out on top!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I think this may be a state by state thing.
In Virginia you have the right to choose your body shop and used OEM parts.

2ligit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP GLADIATOR
Are you suggesting the OP not disclose to potential buyers that the truck has been wrecked?
The dealer will know but probably won't tell. They could wholesale it out and have someone else deal with it. Buyer beware. That is why i would never buy used.

I would go with the used as it is OEM. The truck hasn't been out that long to have bad used parts out there.Aftermarket is where you have most of the problems with fit. They will pay,just keep on them. Let your shop do the footwork for you. They have the experience in the game. See if they can part price match the aftermarket to OEM. Aftermarket takes away so much business from the dealers that they will some times match the cheaper price to make the sale. As someone already mentioned, you policy probably states they use lkq,aftermarket parts. You can by law, put OEM parts on the car, but the insurance doesn't have to pay that. I thought it was the other persons fault. Why aren't you going through there insurance or did they do the 70-30 crap, partial negligence.

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
The dealer will know but probably won't tell. They could wholesale it out and have someone else deal with it. Buyer beware. That is why i would never buy used.

I would go with the used as it is OEM. The truck hasn't been out that long to have bad used parts out there.Aftermarket is where you have most of the problems with fit. They will pay,just keep on them. Let your shop do the footwork for you. They have the experience in the game. See if they can part price match the aftermarket to OEM. Aftermarket takes away so much business from the dealers that they will some times match the cheaper price to make the sale. As someone already mentioned, you policy probably states they use lkq,aftermarket parts. You can by law, put OEM parts on the car, but the insurance doesn't have to pay that. I thought it was the other persons fault. Why aren't you going through there insurance or did they do the 70-30 crap, partial negligence.
Lying about a wrecked vehicle doesn't sound legit to me, owner or dealer. I suggest to the OP to dismiss your advise and be honest with any future transactions regarding his repaired vehicle.

2ligit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP GLADIATOR
Lying about a wrecked vehicle doesn't sound legit to me, owner or dealer. I suggest to the OP to dismiss your advise and be honest with any future transactions regarding his repaired vehicle.
Oh its not legit and I don't like it either. It happens every day. I have seen new vehicles dropped off the trailer and repaired by a body shop and sold as new. I think there is a certain amount they can go up to before they have to tell you. Varies by state. It is a nasty business. Not all are like that Dash, but most are. I am not saying the OP has to lie,the dealership will know about the damage. Down the line , someone will lie about this vehicle. How about not lie but leave out information. Again,i don't like it, i couldn't do it myself,but it is the lure of profit.
Sponsored