Towing a boat with a manual

AncientCityGladiator

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Lariat
Driven manuals for 30 years. Never towed with one however. And specifically, never towed a boat with one.

Question is, if I get a manual JT, is there an anti roll back feature so I don't go rolling into the lake when I'm hooked up?

Or, is it old school of using the E brake and feathering the gas to get up the ramp?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Driven manuals for 30 years. Never towed with one however. And specifically, never towed a boat with one.

Question is, if I get a manual JT, is there an anti roll back feature so I don't go rolling into the lake when I'm hooked up?

Or, is it old school of using the E brake and feathering the gas to get up the ramp?

Using 4-low to get up the ramp with my manual TJ towing a 6000 pound boat out of the water at the end of boating season worked for me.

Last edited:

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
towed with many manuals cant think what could be hard about it

OP
OP
AncientCityGladiator

AncientCityGladiator

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Lariat
towed with many manuals cant think what could be hard about it
Its not the towing, its the going up the ramp with 5k pounds pulling me down a ramp. The E brake in my trucks have always been foot pedals on the left, and with a manual, that foot is occupied by the clutch. SO, Mr Ian, my question is there a hill assist or anti roll back in the JT, or is the E brake in a normal car position with a handle, or is there something else that can help me keep my 50k new truck from rolling into the lake.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Its not the towing, its the going up the ramp with 5k pounds pulling me down a ramp. The E brake in my trucks have always been foot pedals on the left, and with a manual, that foot is occupied by the clutch. SO, Mr Ian, my question is there a hill assist or anti roll back in the JT, or is the E brake in a normal car position with a handle, or is there something else that can help me keep my 50k new truck from rolling into the lake.
On my jk thee is a 3 second hill assist that is always on. Annoys the crap out of me.

Sponsored

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
dont know if itll have hill start assist or not but if you put it in 4low you should be fine i used to have an old fiberglass tub weighed 3.5 tonnes & used my old cj10 without any ebrake(not working) & had no trouble at all when i needed to hold possition & get out & deal with the boat i just shut it off in gear never moved & the ramp i used to use was quite steep so i think with a modern vehicle with everything working you shouldnt have any problems

Jlavo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500, Mercedes E350

I think your issue may be weight, not sure how big of a boat you tow, but equipped with the manual they are rated for 4,000lbs or 4,500 if you get the rubi. Not that the vehicle "can't" tow it but you might eat up the clutch quicker if you tow a boat frequently.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic

I believe all the new manual come with the anti-roll feature.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
I don't I don't know anything about a hill assist feature and it would probably annoy the crap out of me but you need to go find a deserted hill and practice starting from a stop on that hill. The steeper the better. Slowly let the clutch out until you see the RPM drop, then take your foot off the brake and start giving it a little bit of throttle while letting the clutch out further. You should not roll back at all. Keep doing this until it becomes natural. I'll admit it was terrifying when I was 15 years old and a car would be right up my butt on a hill.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AncientCityGladiator

AncientCityGladiator

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Lariat
I don't I don't know anything about a hill assist feature and it would probably annoy the crap out of me but you need to go find a deserted hill and practice starting from a stop on that hill. The steeper the better. Slowly let the clutch out until you see the RPM drop, then take your foot off the brake and start giving it a little bit of throttle while letting the clutch out further. You should not roll back at all. Keep doing this until it becomes natural. I'll admit it was terrifying when I was 15 years old and a car would be right up my butt on a hill.
I know how to drive on a hill. Like I said in the original, I've driven manual for 25 years. I just never towed with one. So, in a truck, with extra weight pulling me down a wet ramp, I was trying to find out a trick, or if there was technology, to prevent the boat from pulling the truck into the water, while engaging the clutch. There is that short window, when going uphill, that you roll back. Mitigated by quality driving, but exacerbated a boat and and steeper boat launch hill.

I didn't want to take my boat out this summer, and in my first launch, lose the new ride. Was just looking for any info from JL or JK drivers about technology, E brake placement, or anything I wasn't thinking of. I've launched a boat 100 times, but always with an automatic. This will be my first manual towing vehicle.

Thanks for all the help everyone. See ya on the road soon!!

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I know how to drive on a hill. Like I said in the original, I've driven manual for 25 years. I just never towed with one. So, in a truck, with extra weight pulling me down a wet ramp, I was trying to find out a trick, or if there was technology, to prevent the boat from pulling the truck into the water, while engaging the clutch. There is that short window, when going uphill, that you roll back. Mitigated by quality driving, but exacerbated a boat and and steeper boat launch hill.

I didn't want to take my boat out this summer, and in my first launch, lose the new ride. Was just looking for any info from JL or JK drivers about technology, E brake placement, or anything I wasn't thinking of. I've launched a boat 100 times, but always with an automatic. This will be my first manual towing vehicle.

Do us (and all of youtube) a favor and have someone record the boat launch just in case it all goes wrong. I would use 4-low with the manual trans just to keep from riding the clutch.

Edit: Also, I used a wheel chock when loading the boat because the emergency brake is not to be trusted with that weight when I'm not in the vehicle with my foot on the brakes..

373087-R1-050-23A.jpg

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4

Do the same thing you always do, but in 4WD.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

The e-brake is a handle between the seats, not a pedal. That said, please be sure to set up a go-pro or two every time you launch and recover - YouTube needs more boat launch videos.
Sponsored