First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Its not the towing, its the going up the ramp with 5k pounds pulling me down a ramp. The E brake in my trucks have always been foot pedals on the left, and with a manual, that foot is occupied by the clutch. SO, Mr Ian, my question is there a hill assist or anti roll back in the JT, or is the E brake in a normal car position with a handle, or is there something else that can help me keep my 50k new truck from rolling into the lake.
Yea whats said here X2 . Unless you ABSOLUTELY LOVE Manuals and can't LIVE without it ? I see NO point in Increasing the Stress Factor on driving, dropping off (ramps) and pulling up off (ramps)
Do us (and all of youtube) a favor and have someone record the boat launch just in case it all goes wrong. I would use 4-low with the manual trans just to keep from riding the clutch.

Edit: Also, I used a wheel chock when loading the boat because the emergency brake is not to be trusted with that weight when I'm not in the vehicle with my foot on the brakes..

373087-R1-050-23A.jpg
Ugh . . . is that a real thing ? Something very wrong with that IMHO . . . I'd never take those risks with MY boat or vehicle IF I were in this same situation . I'd either upgrade my vehicle, get a smaller boat or borrow a friends G.C. ! ? But apparently you've "Managed" it and lived to tell us . . . Congrats ! :clap: ;)
Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh . . . is that a real thing ? Something very wrong with that IMHO . . . I'd never take those risks with MY boat or vehicle IF I were in this same situation . I'd either upgrade my vehicle, get a smaller boat or borrow a friends G.C. ! ? But apparently you've "Managed" it and lived to tell us . . . Congrats ! :clap: ;)
yup, I did it! lol. The TJ could get up to 90mph in stock form towing that boat. I only did that a 2 times (to and from the boat mechanics shop). I did have to start using the brakes a lot sooner when approaching a stop light. Sliding to a stop would scare the crap out of the cars in the other lane. When I had yard storage at the marina (no slip was available the first summer) I would launch/recover the boat regularly, never had any issue using the 4-low and wheel chock method while on the ramp. Of course I had a buddy there to drop the wheel chock before I got out of the jeep, not that it would roll back, I was just playing it safe, as safe as you can being 4000 lbs over the tow rating. lol

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I used to pull a pretty large boat out of the water for my father once a year and drive it a few miles to his driveway with a 2001 Toyota Tacoma v6 manual. To deal with the ramp and one really steep hill at a light I would just pop it into low range to get rolling. Then I'd pop it back into high once we were rolling. Worked fine.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I used to drive a deuce and a half with a trailer of gear. Didn’t need hill assist then, don’t need it now.’

If towing is important to you, then get the right tool for the job. Get the automatic.
Sponsored